While it is enjoyable to gather around for a family board game or hit the beach, don’t forget about the rush of excitement and thrill that comes with skating. Get your adrenaline pumping by heading out to one of your local skating rinks or skate parks throughout metro Detroit. Whether you’re a beginner or pro, there’s a park where you’ll fit right in. Many places even offer lessons as well as family-friendly skate sessions. With locations in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties – and beyond – check out the fun rinks and parks near you.
Roller Skating Rinks
Note: Most hours indicate times for drop-in open skate. However, always check ahead, as times may vary seasonally.
- Address: 24505 Halsted Road, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-476-2200
- Hours: 1-6 p.m. Sundays, 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Thursdays, 1-4 p.m. and 7-10 p.m. Fridays, 1-5 p.m. and 4-9 p.m. Saturdays; times vary seasonally
- Cost: $8/admission, $4/skate rental, $5/kids skate trainer rental
Skate along to the music whether it’s coming from the rink’s DJ or the huge jumbo vision video screen at BonaVenture. The skating center allows guests to host birthday parties or come down to skate with family and friends while also enjoying the laser light show featured in the facility.
- Address: 6995 Grand River Road, Brighton
- Phone: 810-227-2010
- Hours: 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Fridays, 7-11 p.m. Saturdays, noon-6 p.m. Sundays
- Cost: $8.50/open skate, $4/skate rental
Similar to BonaVenture, you can head to Rollerama for loads of family fun! Outside of skating, your family can also enjoy roller hockey and roller derby at this location.
- Address: 16611 Schoolcraft St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-837-7680
- Hours: 7-10 p.m. family skate night ($7/admission) Fridays, 6:30-10 p.m. teen night family skate ($7/admission) Saturdays, 5:30-8 p.m. family skate Sundays ($6/admission); times vary, check weekly/monthly schedule on website
- Costs: $3-$7/admission, $3/skate rental
Let the good times roll. The rink is a great spot for hosting birthday parties, family reunions and more with group rates and skating lessons available to give you the rundown on the basics of skating.
- Address: 1419 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-7465
- Hours: 6-8 p.m. ($2/admission, $1.50/skate rental and $2.50/inline rental) Mondays and Wednesdays, 8-11 p.m. ($6/admission plus skate rental) Fridays, 3-6 p.m. ($6/admission plus skate rental) and 7-10 p.m. ($7/admission plus skate rental) Saturdays, 1-4 p.m. ($6/admission, free/skate rental) Sundays; times vary daily
- Costs: $2-$7/admission $2.50/skate rental, $4.50/inline rental
Get your roll on inside the 23,000-square-foot building while skating around to top 40 music. This skating rink offers special events and guests can make group reservations and host private parties.
- Address: 22311 W. Eight Mile Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-535-1666
- Hours: 7-10 p.m. family skate night ($6/admission) Sundays, 7-10 p.m. family skate ($7/admission) Fridays, 7-10 p.m. teen skate night ($7/admission) Saturdays; times vary daily
- Cost: $3/skate rental, $6-$7/admission
This family spot claims to be the largest and oldest skating rink in Detroit. With colorful scenery and music to jam out to, the skating rink is a great spot for a family outing.
- Address: 36635 Plymouth Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-421-3540
- Hours: 10-11:30 a.m. preschool skate ($5/admission includes standard skate rental) and 6-8 p.m. open skate ($6/admission includes standard skate rental) Wednesdays, 8-10:30 p.m. ($7/admission) Thursdays, 8-11:30 p.m. ($8/admission) Fridays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. ($6/admission includes standard skate rental) and 8-11 p.m. ($7/admission) Saturdays, 2-5 p.m. ($6/admission) Saturdays, 2-5 p.m. and 8-10:30 p.m. ($7/admission) Sundays; times vary daily
- Cost: $3/standard skate rental, $3/premium skate rental, $4/inline rental, admission varies daily
Skate the night away at Riverside. Come out during special event nights or throw a birthday party for someone in your family. The skate shop has skating classes as well as a pro shop.
- Address: 4475 Highland Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-674-3949
- Hours: 1-4 pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays (begins June 21), 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, 7:30-10:30 p.m. Fridays, 10:30 a.m.-noon, 1-4:30 p.m. and 7:30-10 p.m. Saturdays; times vary daily and are subject to change without notice, times will change again in August
- Cost: $4-$8/admission including skate rental
Exercise your leg muscles and enjoy quality time with your family while skating at Rolladium. If skating doesn’t come naturally to you, take advantage of the center’s skating lessons.
- Address: 2825 E. Maple Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-689-4100
- Hours: 1-4 p.m. family afternoon skate ($6/admission plus skate rental) and 8-10:30 p.m. adult night for 18-plus ($8/admission plus skate rental) Sundays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Coffee and Cake skate for 18-plus ($7/covers admission, skate, coffee and cake) Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 6:30-8:30 p.m. family night skate ($6/admission plus skate rental) Tuesdays, 1-4 p.m. summer skating (starting June 23, $6/admission plus skate rental) and 4:15-6:15 p.m. cheap skate ($4/admission plus skate rental) and 8:30-11 p.m. adult night for 18-plus ($7/admission plus skate rental) Wednesdays, noon-3 p.m. summer skating (starting June 23, $6/admission plus skate rental) Thursdays, 8-11 p.m. teen night (suggested age 11 plus, $8/admission plus skate rental) Fridays, 10 a.m.-noon morning skate ($5/admission plus skate rental), 1-4 p.m. family afternoon skate ($6/admission plus skate rental) and 8-11 p.m. teen night ($8/admission plus skate rental) Saturdays; schedules vary depending on season
- Cost: $3/regular skate rental, $5/premium skate rental
With a variety of themed skating events from teen and adult nights to coffee and cake skate, Skate World has something for everyone. Don’t miss the special events held each month as well as cheap skate for $4 on Wednesdays from 4:15 until 6:15 p.m.
- Address: 23911 Allen Road, Woodhaven
- Phone: 734-671-0222
- Hours: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. adult skate, 1-4 p.m. daytime skate and 6:30-8:30 p.m. “dollar nite” Tuesdays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. adult skate and 1-4 p.m. open skate Thursdays, 6-10 p.m. Fridays, 1-4 p.m. and 7-10 p.m. open skate Saturdays; times vary seasonally
- Cost: $4.50/adult skate (jam skates included), $5/all other sessions for all ages, $2/jam skate rental, $4/inline skate rental
This family-friendly skating rink turns into a Zumba fitness studio on Mondays and Wednesdays. Admission on Tuesdays is only $1. Skating classes are also offered.
- Address: 37550 Cherry Hill Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-326-2800
- Hours: 7-10 p.m. Fridays, noon-3 p.m., 3:30-6:30 p.m. and 7-10 p.m. Saturdays, noon-3 p.m. Sundays (subject to change)
- Cost: $7/admission Sunday, $10/admission Friday-Saturday night (skate rentals included with admission)
Own the night as you own the rink among family and friends. If you’re not interested in skating, check out the Zumba classes. Don’t forget to rest your feet and take a break and satisfy your appetite at the snack bar.
- Address: 8611 Ronda Drive, Canton
- Phone: 734-459-6400
- Hours: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. adult organ music skate ($7/admission) and 1-4 p.m. summer open skate (begins June 20, $6/admission) Mondays, 1-4 p.m. summer open skate (begins June 22, $6/admission) Wednesdays, 1-4 p.m. summer open skate (begins June 22, $6/admission) and 8-11:30 p.m. night live skate ($8/admission) Fridays, 10 a.m.-noon rollers and strollers skate ages 7/under ($6/admission), 1-4 p.m. open skate ($6/admission) and 7-10 p.m. night skate ($7/admission) Saturdays, 2-5 p.m. matinee open skating ($6/admission) and 8-11 p.m. adult night skate ($6/admission) Sundays; hours are for Memorial Day-Labor Day
- Cost: $3/skate rental, $5/rollerblade/speed rental
Roll out into skate paradise at the Skatin Station. Take advantage of the special events held such as “Adult Organ Music Skate,” “Rollers and Strollers Skate” and “Friday Night Live Skate” as your family skates until you start to feel your legs ache.
- Address: 29100 Hayes, Roseville
- Phone: 586-777-4300
- Hours: 1-4 p.m. open skating and 8-11 p.m. adult night for 21-plus Sundays, 10 a.m.-noon morning adult skate Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:30 a.m.-noon animal cracker skate for ages 8 and under Wednesdays, 7 p.m.-midnight Fridays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. ages 10 and under and 1-4 p.m. Saturdays; hours vary daily, call ahead for open skate times
- Cost: Admission prices varies $6-$7.50 depending on time and day, skate rental varies from $2-$3 depending on time and day
From “animal cracker skate” to “morning adult skate,” there is something for everyone to enjoy. There are also opportunities to take skating lessons and host your own skating party.
- Address: 50625 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-731-5006
- Hours: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. adult open skate ($6/admission) and 1-4 p.m. summer open skate (begins June 21, $7/admission) Tuesdays, 1-4 p.m. summer open skate ($7/admission) Wednesdays-Thursdays, 1-4 p.m. summer open skate, 7-11 p.m. night live skate ($9/admission) Fridays, 10 a.m.-noon rollers and strollers skate (ages 7 and under, $7/admission), 1-4 p.m. Saturday matinee skate ($7/admission) and 7-10 p.m. Saturday night skate ($7/admission) Saturdays, 1-4 p.m. matinee open skating ($7/admission) and 9 p.m.-midnight spun out Sundays (ages 18-plus, $7/admission); summer hours Memorial Day-Labor Day
- Cost: $3/roller skate rental, $5/rollerblade or speed skate rental
Come roll and bounce the New Rink. With a bounce zone for children 12 and under as well as roller hockey, this spot is perfect for the kids. Parents can even join along in the fun with “Rollers and Strollers Skate.”
- Address: 350 N. Maple Road, Ann Arbor
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. daily year-round
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost: free
Skaters can push it to the limit and test gravity at this 30,000-square-foot park open to the public. Remember to check out some of the special events held such as the “A2 Skate Park Art Fair Booth” in July and no bikes allowed.
- Address: 202 N. Squirrel Road, Auburn Hills
- Phone: 248-370-9400
- Hours: 8 a.m.-dusk April-November; closed in winter
- Cost: Free
Built for skateboards, in-line skates and BMX bikes, the skate park is open to the public – whether you’re a beginner skater or advanced rider. The park is unsupervised so the use of protective gear such as helmets and pads are highly recommended.
- Address: 36651 Ford Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-713-3888
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily
- Cost: Free
This outdoor park is 17,000 square feet of rock-solid concrete for skaters to grind, ride and glide.
Huntington Woods Skate Park
- Address: 11 Mile Road, east of Coolidge Highway, Huntington Woods
- Phone: 248-541-3030
- Hours: 9 a.m.-dusk
- Cost: Free
Throw on your skates and get ready to shred the big bowl at this rad park located in Huntington Woods.
Livonia Community Center Skate Park
- Address: Livonia Community Recreation Center, 15100 Hubbard St.
- Phone: 734-466-2410
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-6 pm. Saturdays
- Cost: Free to the public
This park is open to the public and in order to skate, helmets are required.
- Address: 1500 N. Stephenson Highway, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-546-7275
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, noon-midnight (shop closes at 9 p.m.) Fridays, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. (shop closes at 8 p.m.) Saturdays-Sundays
- Cost: memberships available; $20/all day for nonmembers, $14/3-hour session for nonmembers, $10/last 2 hours of session for nonmembers, $7/last hour of session for nonmembers
From skating to biking and skateboarding, you can roll out in style with your family and friends. The skate park also offers private lessons for those who are still brushing up on their skating skills. For ages 13-plus, helmets are required. Protective gear is available for rent.
- Address: Found along the Davison expressway, Detroit
- Hours: dawn-dusk
- Cost: Free
The community skate park is made up of four vacant commercial lots that combine public art and greenspace.
- Address: Founder’s Sports Park, 35500 Eight Mile Road, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-473-1803
- Hours: 8 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Monday-Sunday
- Cost: Free
Designed by several skate park designers, the 29,000-square-foot community park is a great hotspot for skateboards as well as inline-skaters to enjoy.
- Address: 3179 Livernois Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-524-3300
- Hours: 8 a.m.-dusk
- Cost: Free
This 10,000-square-foot outdoor site is compiled of 26 ramps, wedges, rails and grind boxes. Skateboards, inline skates and bikes are all welcome. The Troy Community Center nearby provides restrooms, a telephone and a snack shop. Safety gear is highly recommended.
- Address: 4670 River Bends Drive, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-731-5100
- Hours: Skateboarding and inline skating 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. for ages 10 and under and 11:30 a.m.-7:30 pm. for all ages Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-7:30 p.m. BMX bike only Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays; April 1-Nov. 1 daily, weather permitting
- Cost: Free
Open to the public, the skaters can ride skateboards, BMX bikes, and in-line skates in the park completed with jumps and rails. Helmets are required. There is no skating or skateboarding on BMX Bike days.
- Address: Memorial Park, 20th and Grove streets, Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-324-4500
- Hours: 9 a.m.-dusk daily weather permitting; open year-round
- Cost: Free
Bring your skateboards, roller blades or bike and ride on at the park open to the public.