Delight your taste buds with some fresh cinnamon sugar doughnuts and homemade apple cider at southeast Michigan cider mills and apple orchards in southeast Michigan this fall. Bring out the whole family and make a day of it – head to one of your local orchards to pick apples, venture through a corn maze or one of the many other cool attractions offered. Many locations are open daily; some even year ’round. So head out to your hometown orchard to make sweet fall memories with your family and friends!
- Address: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Hours: U-pick: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. daily until Oct. 31; Store: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. U-cut Christmas trees starting around Thanksgiving.
- Phone: 586-784-5343
Blake is the ultimate harvest destination. You’ll find an orchard, cider mill and Haunted Blake’s in time for Halloween. Check out the full remodel of the interior of the store, plus added square footage to offer more sweet treats. Blake’s now offers hard cider, too, for mom and dad.
- Address: 6350 37 Mile Road, Romeo
- Phone: 810-798-3611
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays Sept. 10-Nov. 6.
With a scenic overlook, Hy’s is a great Michigan spot to spend a day picking apples and drinking fresh cider from the working mill. Check the website for the dates to pick your own apples.
- Address: 46462 Dequindre Road, Utica
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily Sept. 8-Oct. 31; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, Nov. 1-Thanksgiving weekend. Call to confirm hours.
- Phone: 586-731-6699 (during season)
A family-owned spot with doughnuts made daily, old-fashioned pressed cider and a wide variety of gourds and pumpkins in season. Middleton Farms also offers homemade pies, caramel apples or candy apples.
- Address: 4900 32 Mile Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Sunday year-round.
- Phone: 586-281-3555
Fall weekend fun for kids features a petting zoo, climb up Straw Mountain, challenging corn maze and hayrides. Various U-pick seasons run June-October, and they’ve got an ice cream parlor and greenhouse, too. Tours available for 15-plus.
- Address: 2961 W. 32 Mile Road, Romeo
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily September-late December; 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday-Sunday January. Call to confirm hours.
- Phone: 586-752-2453
The store is stocked with fresh produce, locally made products and warm doughnuts, while the orchard offers U-pick apples, pumpkins and raspberries. Reserve a spot on the scare-free Moonlight Hayride Saturday evenings in October. (Note: Groups can call to book hayrides on Fridays.)
- Address: 63260 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday year-round
- Phone: 586-752-2989
Pick up high-quality fruit including juicy strawberries, plump peaches and, of course, crisp apples. Pies and doughnuts are on the menu, too. Verellen holds a semi-annual frozen fruit sale in March and September.
- Address: 65075 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Farm Market daily until Dec. 24 (closed Thanksgiving); U-pick 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily until Oct. 31 (check site for specific event dates and hours); 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Cider Mill
- Phone: 586-752-3123
Slide down the 40-foot slide and explore the rest of the three-acre playground, petting farm and cider mill. Satisfy your sweet tooth at the Schoolhouse Ice Cream & Sweet Shoppe, too, or romp around the tire mountain or log obstacle course.
Ashton Orchards Cider Mill
- Address: 3925 Seymour Lake Road, Ortonville
- Call to confirm: Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday September-Oct. 31.
- Phone: 248-627-6671
Kids will enjoy the wooden playground and parents can soak up the landscape. Ashton has a variety of produce including apples, peaches, plums and sweet corn, though many visit for the cider and doughnuts.
- Address: 1479 Ranch Road, Holly
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily until Oct. 31, noon-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday Nov. 1-20
- Phone: 248-634-8981
Come enjoy cider and doughnuts! Head to Diehl’s on the weekend for the corn maze, playground and hayrides. Don’t miss the annual Ciderfest Sept. 24-25, which includes a craft show and live entertainment.
- Address: 61475 Silver Lake Road, South Lyon
- Hours: Cider mill: 6 a.m.-7 p.m. daily Aug. 19-Oct. 31; 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 1-6
- Phone: 248-437-0150
This local cider mill offers traditional homemade cider and doughnuts. Make a day of it and check out the other attractions. Activities offered include a daytime corn maze (family friendly), the Barn of Horrors and Corn Stalkers Maze, U-pick apples, pumpkins, raspberries and cherries.
- Address: 7450 Franklin Road, Bloomfield Hills
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday from Saturday before Labor Day till Sunday after Thanksgiving; also 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Thanksgiving Day
- Phone: 248-626-8261
This local favorite is known for its non-pasteurized fresh cider and hot doughnuts. Pick up a delicious fresh baked pie, too, and stop and see the ducks by the river.
- Address: 4295 Orion Road, Rochester
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Sunday until Thanksgiving, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday in December. Hours subject to change; call to confirm.
- Phone: 248-652-8450
Come by for a gallon of fresh-made cider and apples to take home. On Sunday, Goodison features entertainment by John the balloon guy, a moonwalk and music by a blue grass ensemble.
- Address: 1540 E. Commerce Road, Commerce Township
- Hours: Cider Mill: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; U-pick: hours vary May-October
- Phone: 248-360-3774
Pick your own apples and pumpkins, take a relaxing wagon ride and test your nerves in the Night Time Corn Maze. Try some homemade doughnuts and cider. Pick up some honey, apple butter, preserves and breads too.
- Address: 4480 Orion Road, Oakland Township
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; open year round.
- Phone: 248-656-3400
More than just a cider mill, this hub has a full menu of sandwiches, Coney dogs, pizza and ice cream. Barbecue items are on the menu, too, plus try the homemade doughnuts and cider. Take a walk on part of the Paint Creek Trail and check out the giant water wheel in the fall.
- Address: 5125 N. Rochester Road, Rochester
- Hours: noon-8 p.m. daily Aug. 26-Dec. 31.
- Phone: 248-651-4224
Take the kiddos out to climb the straw pyramid and see the petting farm. You can also admire a collection of antique farm equipment outside and in, where you can guess what the old tools were used for by matching their number to a description.
- Address: 1990 E. Avon Road, Rochester Hills
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday August-October; Yates Store open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; weekends 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Hours subject to change, call ahead.
- Phone: 248-651-8300
Make sure to get a “pocket pie” – mini, hand-held pies available in flavors like apple, blueberry, raspberry and cherry. Let your kids take a ride on a pony (weekends only), visit the petting zoo and take a stroll down the river walk trails. Don’t forget to pick up fresh cider and doughnuts, too.
- Address: 13011 Bethel Church Road, Manchester
- Hours: Noon-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, closed Mondays. Open Sept. 8-Nov. 22.
- Phone: 734-428-9310
After cider and doughnuts, get lost in the seven-acre corn maze or try the new GPS adventure, pet some farm animals and enjoy live entertainment.
- Address: 3685 Central St., Dexter
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday beginning Aug. 26; 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday in October
- Phone: 734-426-8531
This is Michigan’s oldest continuously operating cider mill. Bring your kids to watch the antique mill turning out some of the best cider around. There are baked goodies on hand, too. Dexter Cider Mill offers fresh doughnuts and apple nut bread daily. More homemade treats are available on the weekends.
- Address: 12651 Island Lake Road, Dexter
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, September-October
- Phone: 734-426-8009
At this fifth-generation family farm, stock up on cider, eggs, homemade jams and jellies and beeswax candles.
- Address: 11030 Macon Road, Saline
- Hours: Retail: 4-6 p.m. Monday-Friday; U-Pick and retail: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Opens Labor Day weekend through Oct. 25. Additional hours available by appointment.
- Phone: 734-429-5145
Fresh-picked “antique” heirloom apples are the stars here – they’re completely unique. Other produce and locally produced honey available, too. Call to book school tours. Beef and pork available for processing by appointment.
- Address: 6884 Walsh Road, Dexter
- Hours: 2-5 p.m. Fridays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 9-mid November
- Phone: 734-426-2863
Leave the picking to the professionals and grab a variety of apples fresh off the tree at The Frosty Apple. A great way to directly support a local orchard.
- Address: 6580 Judd Road, Milan
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily mid-September-Oct. 31; call ahead for hours after Oct. 31
- Phone: 734-482-2342
Cider and doughnuts are lures in addition to over a dozen varieties of U-pick apples. You’ll also find already-picked pears and plums, plus famous jams, apple butters, honey and popcorn. Wasem holds tours for groups by appointment too.
- Address: 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti
- Hours: Orchard/fair: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday Sept. 6-end of October; see website for specific hours for each attraction
- Phone: 734-390-9211
The fair has mini golf, play areas, pony rides, a spinning vortex “splatter town” paintball, while the farm teems with U-pick apples and pumpkins, corn mazes and more. Older kids can brave the Night Terrors attraction (see site for times).
- Address: 38035 S. Huron Road, New Boston
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. in August, 9 a.m.-8 p.m. September-October; November-December hours TBD; Cider, pumpkin pies and other foods until Jan. 1 (call for details)
- Phone: 734-753-9380
Besides the typical petting farm fauna, Charlie’s has an ostrich, pigmy goat and a baby calf. Stop by on busy weekends to listen to live music and stroll this 95-acre farm for plenty of U-pick homegrown apples and fruits.
- Address: 9252 Curie Road, Salem
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays (closes at 5 p.m. during daylight savings time) September-late October
- Phone: 734-560-2840
This family-run orchard, named the German word for “fruit tree,” has fresh-picked apples, pressed cider and apple cinnamon doughnuts. Obstbaum offers hayrides and U-pick pumpkins. Date night? Visit the winery; it also sells hard cider.
- Address: 714 Baseline Road, Northville
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. daily Aug. 27-late November
- Phone: 248-349-3181
Since 1873, Parmenter’s has offered the best in fall fare, including pies, pumpkin butter, cider, roasted almonds and much more.
- Address: 10685 Warren Road, Plymouth
- Hours: Mill: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily Sept. 3-Nov. 6; secondary market (10260 W. Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth): 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily Sept. 3-Nov. 23.
- Phone: 734-455-2290
Take a scenic wagon ride through the 100-acre farm, visit the petting zoo, pick your own pumpkins and enjoy some cider and cinnamon doughnuts.
This post was originally published in September 2011 and has been updated for 2016 by Shelby Stewart.