There was a time I used to boast that I was the queen of the 20-minute dinners. (Working full time and coming home to three hungry kids puts every mom in line for that title!) That was before I came across this recipe. I could have cut my average down to 15 minutes if I had more recipes like this one.
Not to mention, now's the start of the best time of year to score delicious asparagus in Michigan! It's harvested for a six to seven week period, typically starting in late April or early May and lasting 'til mid to late June, according to the Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board.
Plus, this dish is insanely quick and tasty – and a great way to use the leftover chicken in something other than chicken salad. Let the kids help by tearing or cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
And yes, buy the sesame oil; it's worth the flavor!
Chicken with Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, cleaned and cut diagonally into 1 1/2" pieces
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken breast, sliced or torn into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine soy sauce and honey in a small bowl; then set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic; then the cut asparagus and cook for four to five minutes, stirring often. (I like a little crunch, so just leave the veggies in for another minute or two if you like them done more.)
- Toss in cooked chicken and top with soy-honey mixture. Heat until chicken is warmed thoroughly.
- Serve with brown rice or couscous.