On sweltering summer days, sometimes a scoop (or two) of ice cream can really hit the spot. With dozens of fun, unique ice cream joints sprinkled around southeast Michigan, from metro Detroit to Ann Arbor and beyond, there’s bound to be someplace new to check out. You can start by giving one of these local ice cream parlors a try!
- Address: 46540 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-991-0106
- Hours: 2-9 p.m. Monday-Friday and Sunday, 2-9:30 p.m. Saturday
With about 44 stocked ice cream flavors in-store – including Majestic Milky Way, Belgian Chocolate and Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownie – this shop offers a wide variety for all taste buds.
- Address: 300 W. Liberty Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-218-3242
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. daily in the summer; limited fall/winter seating
This new ice cream shop in Washtenaw County is set to open in June 2014, so be sure to call before you head out there! It features 24 delicious flavors that kids will love – including chocolate chip and jasmine with caramelized ginger.
- Address: 1020 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-8858
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
Try a real, fresh-from-the-farm experience at this ice cream shop. Made with milk from their personal cows, each batch is crafted by hand at their farm in Carleton and served up here. Bloo Moo and Fudge Swirl are just two of their whopping 34 flavors.
- Address: 20737 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Woods
- Phone: 313-881-2888
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
This ice cream parlor, with retro decor reminiscent of the 1950s, serves French Alinosi Ice Cream in the sundae of your choice. Flavors include classics like Butter Pecan and Maple Walnut, as well as quirky choices like Chocolate Indulgence, Pumpkin and Cinnamon.
- Address: 3312 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-541-6560
- Hours: 1-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-10:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
With over 60 different flavors of yogurt and ice cream, the possibilities seem almost endless when it comes to picking your cone, sundae, banana split, malt or shake.
- Address: 1226 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-9111
- Hours: noon-10:30 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday
This local spot boasts a giant merry-go-round where little kids can hang while they snack on delicious treats, which include a variety of flavors and the ever-popular treat known as The Mud. It’s a mixture of soft serve ice cream and your choice of candy.
- Address: 232 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-5720
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-11 p.m. Sunday
Whether you like your ice cream in a waffle cone, a flurry or just as soft serve in a cup, Dairy King’s menu, with 33 stocked flavors, is always changing to make each visit a little different.
- Address: Shelby Township: 6451 Auburn Road; Warren: 2080 E. 14 Mile Road
- Phone: Shelby Township: 586-254-3080; Warren: 586-275-2470
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Memorial Day-Labor Day, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sept. 2-Oct. 31, 2013
In 1942, it was just a roadside stand. Now, Erma’s is a two-location custard powerhouse. In addition to traditional vanilla and chocolate custard flavors, Erma’s Original Frozen Custard offers different unique flavors every week – such as Bavarian Cheesecake, Root Beer Cooler and Coconut Cream Pie.
- Address: 32644 Franklin Road, Franklin
- Phone: 248-562-7708
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
Located in a renovated farmhouse in the middle of Franklin Village, this spot lets you relax on the wrap-around porch while indulging in more than 30 flavors of ice cream and frozen yogurt, like Mint Chocolate Chip and Mackinac Island Fudge.
- Address: 67 Main St., Belleville
- Phone: 734-699-7188
- Hours: noon-9:30 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, noon-dusk Friday-Saturday
Frosty Boy offers a ton of mouthwatering toppings like Toasted Coconut, Oreo and Nutter Butter – so you can specialize your cone exactly to your liking. On weekends you can hang around the shop later than usual, as they don’t close their doors until everyone is satisfied!
- Address: 37337 Huron River Drive, New Boston
- Phone: 734-753-9013
- Hours: 1-9 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday
The walls of this quirky downriver ice cream shop are covered with license plates, signs, photos and trinkets to keep your eyes just as entertained as your taste buds when you sample one of their cones, sundaes, malts or shakes.
Ready for the ultimate vacation fun guide? Get our FREE handbook, 100 Days of Summer Family Activities and Attractions in Michigan. Download it for FREE right now! BONUS: Get a FREE subscription to Metro Parent magazine for fun in any season.
- Address: 21300 Novi Road, Northville
- Phone: 248-349-1466
- Hours: 8 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
Try a scoop of one of this family-run spot’s one-of-a-kind, Michigan-made ice cream flavors and treats! (It’s tradition to enjoy your snack on the “famous rock under the tree” just outside.) Pick from cones, shakes, banana splits, hot fudge sundaes, brownie fudge treats, hot fudge cream puffs and more.
- Address: 1528 E. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-399-7919
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
Sundaes, smoothies, flurries and shakes are just some of the treats on the menu. This superhero-themed ice cream stop, operating since 1970, also has fun treats appealing to the young and young at heart.
- Address: 23090 E. Main St., Armada
- Phone: 586-784-5425
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
This ice cream shop, established in 1985, offers gourmet dairy and non-dairy treats. And if you’re watching those extra calories, try low-fat, low-calorie iced coffee, real fruit smoothies, gelato, specialty yogurt ice cream and more.
- Address: 2461 Russell St., Eastern Market, Detroit
- Phone: 313-393-6016
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Next time you’re spending a hot day shopping at Eastern Market, stop by this shop right on Russell Street. Not only do they serve Michigan-made Hudsonville ice cream, but also other local products – such as Faygo and Better Made Potato Chips. Fun fact: This is the first ice cream parlor to set up shop in Eastern Market since the district was founded in 1891!
- Address: 4233 Coolidge Highway (between 13 and 14 Mile roads), Royal Oak
- Phone: 888-549-5256
- Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
Family owned since 1958, Ray’s offers award-winning ice cream in 40 different flavors, including Mackinac Island Fudge, Butter Pecan and its famous Fat Elvis.
- Address: 22965 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Phone: 248-544-3440
- Hours: 1-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 1-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Treat Dreams offers fun offbeat flavors like Hot Jalapeno, Mexican Chocolate and Kooky Monster! They also serve vegan ice cream and sorbet.
- Address: 901 S. Main St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-0419
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. daily
Cones, flurries, shakes and more: This soft-serve ice cream shop has the staple flavors, as well as FlavorBurst ice cream and frozen yogurt in fun mocha cappuccino and even harvest-apple varieties.
- Address: 22501 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-552-5038
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Now at its firehouse-inspired digs (complete with fire truck!), Wally’s has perfected the classic ice cream flavors. Try your Wally’s ice cream between two cookies, called a Chocolate Cookie Monster. Also available for you to sink your teeth into are banana splits, hot fudge cream puffs, strawberry shortcake and more. Yum!
- Address: 602 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-3244
- Hours: summer: 5 a.m.-10 p.m. daily; spring and fall: 5 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; winter: 5 a.m.-7 p.m. daily (closed Christmas Day)
Stocked with several Stroh’s ice cream flavors made right here in Michigan, it’s not surprising that Washtenaw Dairy has been serving the Ann Arbor area for over 78 years.