Think you know what you crave? Think again. White Castle may be the granddaddy of the greasy little burger (dating back to 1921), but these indie spoons, dotting the region from Macomb and Wayne counties to Oakland and Washtenaw, dish the mega-chain stiff competition – and way more atmosphere. Swing by one of these slider burger restaurants specializing in this scrumptious (and affordable) fare. They’re arguably some of the best hamburgers in Detroit’s metro area!
Tell us what you think. Who serves up the best slider hamburgers in southeast Michigan? Have a family favorite spot that’s not on the list? Comment and let us know.
- Address: 207 S. Main St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-414-4567
Delectable sliders and amazing milkshakes in a fun ’50s atmosphere (think genuine vintage, not Happy Days cheesy).
- Farmington Hills: 22291 Middle Belt Road, 248-478-7350
- Livonia: 33406 Five Mile Road, 734-427-3464
Savor decadence on a steamed bun. The L-town spot, still in its white-tile 1959 building, is a blast from the past.
- Rochester Hills: 3204 Walton Blvd., 248-375-3060
- Royal Oak: 410 S. Main St., 248-543-4900
It’s all 100-percent certified Angus beef in this casual eatery created in 2009 by four brothers. (P.S. Mom and dad: The R.O. locale now serves beer and wine!)
- Address: 2200 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit
- Phone: 313-962-5588
Ever tried a PB&J slider? How about fried chicken? Grilled cheese? While they’ve got classic beef and cheese sliders, this Detroit locale mixes it up with its creative menu. (Note: No high chairs here, but bring along your own booster seat for tots!)
- Ann Arbor: 609 E. William St., 734-368-9592
- Birmingham: 35075 Woodward Ave., 248-646-7121
The sweet onions are smashed into these babies when they’re still cookin’ at this B-ham icon since 1952. The Ann Arbor location opened its doors in 2014.
- Address: 3041 Biddle Ave., Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-285-0420
Open for business since 2009, this spot, named for the owner’s grandpa, gets props for its slides of course, but also fresh-cut fries, homemade soups and hot dogs, too.
- Address: 304 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-663-4590
Singles for kids only; for parents, it’s a Double to Quint (a half pound of beef!). Customize yours at this fave.
- Address: 201 W. Fourth St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-414-4541
It gets props for late-night service, but this tiny checkered landmark serves up sliders during family hours, too.
- Address: 7208 W. Fort St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-843-9186
With roots going back to 1929, this D staple serves up treats that frequently make “best slider” lists – here and nationally.
- Address: 241 W. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale
- Phone: 248-850-7420
Order a classic American Burger or try one of their unique creations, like a Philly Cheesesteak slider or the PH BLT made with pork belly.
- Mount Clemens: 71 N. Main St., 586-468-4200
- Roseville: 26756 Gratiot Ave., 586-362-8585
Proprietor “The Todd” is known for his gourmet creations. Go with a classic ground beef slider or mix it up with ground turkey or fish. Little ones can get kids-sized meals, too.
- Detroit: 6820 Michigan Ave., 313-843-2146
- Madison Heights: 27000 John R Road, 248-545-7962
This small corner spot will take you and the kids way back with its classic diner look. Be sure to bring bills because it’s cash only.
- Address: 23500 Greater Mack Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-778-0101
Watch a chef flip ‘em on the grill just behind the “bar.” Grab your eastside greasy goodness 24/7 at this joint.
This post was originally published in August 2012 and has been updated for 2015 by Megan Krueger.