Think you know what you crave? Think again. White Castle may be the granddaddy of the greasy little burger (dating back to 1921), but these indie spoons, dotting the region from Macomb and Wayne counties to Oakland and Washtenaw, dish the mega-chain stiff competition – and way more atmosphere.
- Address: 207 S. Main St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-414-4567
Delectable sliders and amazing milkshakes in a fun ’50s atmosphere (think genuine vintage, not Happy Days cheesy).
- Farmington Hills: 22291 Middlebelt Road, 248-478-7350
- Livonia: 33406 Five Mile Road, 734-427-3464
Savor decadence on a steamed bun. The L-town spot, still in its white-tile 1959 building, is a blast from the past.
- Rochester Hills: 3204 Walton Blvd., 248-375-3060
- Royal Oak: 410 S. Main St., 248-543-4900
It’s all 100-percent certified Angus beef in this casual eatery created in 2009 by four brothers. (P.S. Mom and dad: The R.O. locale now serves beer and wine!)
- Address: 35075 Woodward Ave., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-646-7121
The sweet onions are smashed into these babies when they’re still cookin’ at this B-ham icon since 1952.
- Address: 3041 Biddle Ave., Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-285-0420
Open for business since 2010, this hockey-decked spot, named for the owner’s grandpa, gets props for its local-beef creations, hand-cut fries and pierogi.
- Address: 551 S. Division St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-663-4590
Singles for kids only; for parents, it’s a Double to Quint (a half pound of beef!). Customize yours at this fave.
- Address: 201 W. Fourth St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-414-4541
It gets props for late-night service, but this tiny checkered landmark serves up sliders during family hours, too.
- Address: 7208 W. Fort St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-843-9186
With roots going back to 1929, this D staple serves up treats that frequently make “best slider” lists – here and nationally.
- Address: 71 N. Main St., Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-468-4200
Proprietor “The Todd” is known for his gourmet creations, including ahi tuna and beef tenderloin.
Travis Coffee Shop
- Address: 23500 Greater Mack Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-778-0101
Watch a chef flip ‘em on the grill just behind the “bar.” Grab your eastside greasy goodness 24/7 at this joint.
Ready for the ultimate vacation fun guide? Get our FREE handbook, 100 Days of Summer Family Activities and Attractions in Michigan. Download it for FREE right now! BONUS: Get a FREE subscription to Metro Parent magazine for fun in any season.