Looking for the best kids birthday party places for your child’s next shindig? A few tips, if we may. First: Let them in on the planning. After all, there are so many prime kids party places and options in southeast Michigan – whether your child is a princess wannabe or just a ball of energy needing an outlet. Second: Let Metro Parent be your guide! Here are 10 awesome ideas for birthday party places for kids throughout the metro Detroit and Ann Arbor areas.
1. Cupcake and bake shops
Colored sprinkles, gobs of frosting, and a choice of yummy cupcakes – these are the makings for a birthday party for kids with a sweet tooth (or two!). With bakeries all across the area, these bright, heavenly scented shops often offer kids’ parties. (Or, if you want a great cake or cupcakes for your upcoming celebration, check out our roundup of bakeries and cupcake shops, too).
- Angel’s Bake-n-Cakes, 3969 Fort St., Lincoln Park, 313-408-8038
- Cake Crumbs, 28569 Northwestern Highway, Southfield, 248-281-6456
- Happy Cake Lady (in-home classes), home-based in Chesterfield, 586-436-CAKE (2253)
2. Pottery and art spots
Children love to get their hands messy. And if they can make unique creations while doing it, all the better. For a memorable party complete with favors guests create during their time together, pottery shops and art studios are a great option.
- Abrakadoodle Art Studio (Arty Birthday Parties with an art teacher plus art activities and lessons), 8016 Sheldon Center Road, Canton, 734-738-6287
- Creative Arts Studio (pottery painting, beading, mosaics, glass fusing, wheel throwing, wax hands), 114 W. Fourth St., Royal Oak, 248-544-2234
- Pewabic (includes a tour and tile-making; ages 4-5 plus 10-25 kids. Over 25 kids and parties get an additional instructor, though additional fees of $17/child apply), 10125 E. Jefferson Ave., Detroit, 313-626-2062 (ask for Mary)
- The Bee’s Knees Studio & Gallery, 149 E. Main St., Northville, 248-347-6718
3. Action arenas
Whether you’re looking for hands-on fun and disco dance parties or sports-geared spots with go-karts, glo golf, arcades and laser tag – these action-packed kid zones are great for kids who want plenty to do at their next party.
- Boogie Babies (disco dance, Wii/gaming stations, tree house play area), 1928 Star-Batt Drive, Suite B, Rochester Hills, 248-852-6288
- C.J. Barrymore’s (arcade, bowling alley, bumper cars, more) 21750 Hall Road, Clinton Township, 586-469-2800
- Jungle Java (soft play center), locations in Ann Arbor, Canton, Clinton Township and Farmington Hills
- Paradise Park (laser tag, arcade, mini golf, climbing wall, trampoline, go-karts, kiddie track, more), 45799 Grand River Ave., Novi, 248-735-1050
- Zap Zone (laser tag, arcade, jump zone, bumper cars, and at some locations, glo-golf, go-karts and more), locations in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, Canton, Farmington, Taylor, Utica/Sterling Heights and Waterford
Plus, check out even more indoor fun spots around southeast Michigan, some of which may also offer birthday party options.
4. Bouncing bonanzas
Does your child always seem to be bouncing around – whether on her bed or on the couch? If so, you might want to schedule some time letting your child venture into an inflatable haven. Don’t forget to have the kids wear their socks!
- AirTime Trampoline & Game Park, locations in Canton/Westland, Troy, Sterling Heights and soon in Novi
- Bounce House, locations in Detroit and Sterling Heights and two others in New Baltimore and St. Clair Shores
- Bounce U, 1101 Rochester Road, Troy, 248-626-5867
- Sky Zone Indoor Trampoline Park, locations in Brighton, Canton, Shelby Township and Taylor
5. Splash zones and swim spots
For parents with water bugs on their hands, don’t miss out on some chlorinated local fun. Little swimmers will love having a party poolside.
- Aqua-Tots, locations in Canton, Novi, Sterling Heights and Troy
- Beverly Hills Club, 31555 Southfield Road, Beverly Hills, 248-642-8500
- Goldfish Swim School, locations in Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Canton, Clarkston, Farmington Hills, Macomb and Rochester
- Franklin Athletic Club, 29350 Northwestern Highway, Southfield, 248-352-8000
- Liberty Lagoon Indoor Waterpark and Activity Center, 2975 W. Liberty Road, Ann Arbor, 734-665-3738
- Warren Community Center Indoor Water Park, 5460 Arden Ave., Warren, 586-268-8400
6. Science centers
Budding scientist, or maybe just an astronaut wannabe? If so, book your child’s next birthday bash at an area science center.
- Ann Arbor Hands On Museum, 220 E. Ann St., Ann Arbor, 734-995-5439
- Michigan Science Center, 5020 John R St., Detroit, 313-577-8400
- Cranbrook Institute of Science, 39221 Woodward Ave., Bloomfield Hills, 248-645-3200
7. Private theaters
Everyone likes going to the theater, whether for movies or plays. But how often do you get to have a theater all to yourself or reserved seating? It sure could be arranged for a special birthday boy or girl.
- Emagine Theatres, locations in Canton, Macomb, Novi, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak and Woodhaven (rent a party room for 10 children or more).
- Genitti’s Hole-in-the-Wall, 108 E. Main St., Northville, 248-349-0522 (interactive children’s comedy show with lunch).
- Goodrich Quality Theaters, locations in Ann Arbor and Canton (with party room), Oxford (no room, but discount on kid’s concession tray).
- Marquis Theatre, 135 E. Main St., Northville, 248-349-8110
8. Princess palaces
For little girls looking for the chance to be a princess for a day, there are several party places to indulge her inner royalty.
- Tea Party Castle, 52261 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township, 866-484-4662
- My Girly Party, 30006 W. 12 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, 248-298-2220
9. Bowling alleys
If you’ve got kids who love to stay active during the party and down a few pins, a bowling party is the ticket. Remember to ask for the staff to put up kids’ bumpers (and read up on these how-to tips!)
- Alley 59, 44925 N. Groesbeck Highway, Clinton Township, 586-469-6411
- Brighton Bowl, 9871 E. Grand River Ave., Brighton, 810-227-3341
- Ford Lanes Bowling Center, 23100 Van Born Road, Dearborn Heights, 313-292-1700
- Lucky Strike Novi, 44325 12 Mile Road, Novi, 248-374-3420
You can find a bunch of other spots, too, by browsing our bowling alleys directory. Just make sure to ask if they offer birthday parties!
10. Skating rinks
There’s something a little retro special about hanging out a roller rink. Strap some skates on your birthday kids and watch them take a spin around the rink. Be sure they get in a game of hokey-pokey, too.
- Bonaventure Family Skating Center, 24505 Halsted Road, Farmington Hills, 248-476-2200
- Lincoln Park Skating Center, 1419 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park, 313-381-RINK (7465)
- Skatin Station II, 8611 Ronda Drive, Canton, 734-459-6400
Looking for more? We’ve got a whole roundup of local skating rinks to check out.
This post was originally published in 2010 and has been updated for 2016 by Megan Krueger.