If it’s looking more likely that staying in the family home isn’t the best option for your aging parent, it’s time to explore the different options available to them and find the right fit. It’s time to consider senior housing options.
One of the first steps is considering why your parent needs a change in where he or she lives.
Is it a need for social interaction and perhaps some built-in services, like meals?
Or do they need memory care or additional help?
Below, you’ll see the main senior housing options that can address these needs, according to A Place for Mom, a free service that helps seniors find the right housing option for their needs.
Be sure to verify details of services and amenities offered when you contact specific locations.
Best for those who need daily assistance with their personal care needs.
- Private and semi-private suites
- Transportation services
- Medication management
- Provides three meals a day
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Social outings and events
- 24-hour access to caregivers
Typically $2,500-$4,000-plus/month; mostly private pay, but some take Medicaid
Independent living/senior apartments
Best for seniors who are seeking socialization, activities and a low-maintenance living situation.
- Apartments/condos usually geared at adults age 55-plus
- Social outings and field trips
- On-site amenities and activities, like pools, tennis courts, bingo, parties, etc.
- Limited housekeeping services, sometimes monthly
- Meal plan options and breakfast buffets
- Limited transportation services
- Does not include personal care help
Typically $1,500-$3,500/month; private pay
Nursing homes/memory care/group homes
Best for seniors with conditions like Alzheimer’s that require around-the-clock skilled care.
- Shared or private bedroom options
- 24-hour skilled nursing/medical care
- Assistance with bathing, dressing and other personal care needs
- Three meals a day served on premise
- Activities available to those who can partake
Typically $3,000-$8,000-plus/month; private pay and Medicare/Medicaid