There’s no better place to make a splash than at one of the public swimming pools in metro Detroit or, during summer, at the beach. But while a day in the chlorine or waves can be fun for the whole family, it’s also a great reminder of the value of swimming classes for kids.
After all, dangers can lurk beneath the water, especially if your child can’t swim or lacks sound swimming safety tips. Luckily, there plenty of kids’ swimming classes in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.
Here, Metro Parent has rounded up some of the best swimming classes for kids classes in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties to help your kid ditch the water wings and become a skilled water bug.
Find great swimming lessons for children with special needs, too. Just cruise this list and choose the class or swim school that’s right for you.
Note: Offerings and rates may vary throughout the year, and some venues may only be open seasonally. Check ahead on all classes, since registration is required.
- Brandon High School, 1025 S. Ortonville Road, Ortonville
- Franklin Athletic Club, 29350 Northwestern Highway, Southfield
- Oxford High School, 745 N. Oxford Road, Oxford
- The Jewish Community Center of Metro Detroit, 6600 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
- West Bloomfield High School, 4925 Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 248-403-0364
- Cost: May vary by location and option; check ahead
This group offers swimming lessons for kids with seven total levels. Umbrellas include Aqua Babies for ages 3 and younger, Aqua Fish for ages 3-5 and AquaCubs for kids ages 5 and older. Offerings can vary among locations; typical starting age is 6 months, with some as young as 3 months; check ahead.
- Addresses and phones
- Auburn Hills: 750 Brown Road, 248-537-4005
- Canton: 43335 Joy Road, 734-828-2000
- Farmington Hills: 31221 W. 14 Mile Road, 248-537-4004
- Novi: 44225 W. 12 Mile Road, Suite C103, 248-845-4544
- Sterling Heights: 44891 Hayes Road, 586-884-3633
- Troy: 846 E. Big Beaver Road, 248-845-4545
- Woodhaven: 21621 Allen Road, 734-818-8111
- Cost: Two lessons per week are $162/month; rates may vary by location, though; check ahead for rates on one, three or four lessons per week and sibling discounts
Offers indoor swimming classes for kids starting at age 4 months all the way up to 12 years, mommy and me classes, special needs classes, a swim club, swim team and more. Note: A Dearborn location opens soon. Check the website for updates.
- Address: 31555 Southfield Road, Beverly Hills
- Phone: 248-642-8500
- Members: $71-$87/six weeks, $41/private lesson
- Nonmembers: $94-$112/six weeks, $30/private lesson
Since 1989, this spot has been teaching tots to swim using the Red Cross certified “Learn to Swim” method. Plus, a parent-tot class for kids 6 months to 3 years is offered, along with beginning and intermediate classes for kids 2-3 years old and five levels of classes for kids ages 3-plus.
- Address: 2727 S. Gulley Road
- Phone: 313-960-4141
- Cost: $82/one class, once a week, per month; $155/one class, twice a week, per month; add $73 for an extra day per week; call for semi-private class rates
The international swim company British Swim School is known for its water survival skills training – and partners with this Dearborn club to bring that training to local families. Find swimming classes for kids as young as 3 months, plus options from toddlers to teens at any skill level.
- Address: Beach Middle School, 445 Mayer Drive, Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-2260
- Cost: $38/session group swim, $75/private session
Kids start in the parent-tot “Polliwog” class for ages 1-4, then move up to the “Mudpuppy” and “Turtle” classes. When they’re 5 years old and have passed through the other classes, they reach the “Dolphin” level, which develops more advanced strokes and builds endurance.
- Address: 15801 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-943-2350
- Cost: $23-$105/passholders, $24-$110/residents, $29-$135/non-residents
This spot offers private swimming lessons – plus special parent-and-child pool time when parents can introduce their children to the pool and teach them to be safe.
- Addresses and phone numbers:
- Ann Arbor: 2107 W. Stadium Blvd., 734-849-2038
- Birmingham: 2388 Cole St., Suite 101, 248-243-4897
- Canton: 225 Sheldon Road, 248-450-0752
- Clarkston: 6340 Waldon Center Drive, 248-949-1283
- Farmington Hills: 22710 Haggerty Road Suite 200, 248-450-5251
- Macomb Township: 18377 Hall Road, Suite 1, 248-243-4966
- Rochester: 550 South St., 248-450-0875
- Cost: Prices vary by location
This spot offers “mini” infant classes for kids as young as 4 months old, “junior” class for toddlers ages 3-4 years, the “beginner” class, the “Glider” “Star” and “Pro” classes for advanced swimmers ages 4-plus, and a swim team for ages 5-12.
- Address: Fraser High School, 33466 Garfield Road, Fraser
- Phone: 586-439-7259
- Cost: Check ahead for new rates in fall 2019
This spot offers American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program with swimming classes for kids as young as 6 months, along with kids, teens and adaptive options.
- Address: Classes held at Beaumont Wellness Center in Rochester Hills, Holiday Inn Express in Northville, Milford High School, Troy Community Center and Warren Community Center
- Phone: 248-431-8534, 248-662-8868
- Cost: Varies
Self-Rescue swim program is available for children ages 6 months and older. All lessons are one-on-one with an instructor and most students achieve independent Self-Rescue skills within six weeks.
- Address: 2975 W. Liberty Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-665-3738, ext. 134
- Cost: $13-$72/members, $16-$90/nonmembers
This spot has a shallow warm water Lagoon Pool that is perfect for infants and beginners to get used to the water and a lap pool for kids to work their skills. They offer private and semi-private lessons, too.
- Addresses and phone numbers:
- Bloomfield Township: 4106 Telegraph Road, 248-282-4300
- Canton: 1700 N Haggerty Road, 734-394-2800
- Commerce Township: 2901 Commerce Crossing, 248-960-0955
- Novi: 40000 High Pointe Blvd., 248-735-0100
- Rochester Hills: 200 W Avon Road, 248, 601-9400
- Shelby Township: 14843 Lakeside Blvd., 586-532-1300
- Troy: 4700 Investment Drive, 248-267-1000
- Cost: Starts at $60/month with membership
Start your little one off with swimming lessons starting at 4 months and up to 12 years. Children can also join a swim team at ages 5 and up, and private classes are available.
- Address: 15100 Hubbard St., Livonia
- Phone: 734-466-2900
- Cost: $56-$72
Bring your tot to a parent-preschool course on how to swim, or take a class yourself. Preregistration is required, and spaces fill up fast.
- Address: 715 Brooks St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-794-6237
- Cost: $45-$55/resident, $55-$70/non-residents, $15/private lesson for residents, $18/private lesson for non-residents
This local pool offers log rolling and mermaid finswimming, but first, fine-tune aquatic skills with swimming classes for kids. Little ones ages 6-18 start out as a “tadpole” and work up to the “orca” level. Find classes all ages, plus private lessons. Note: This pool is typically open in the fall, winter and spring months; in summer, try the outdoor pools at Fuller, Buhr and Veterans Memorial Parks.
- Address: 2960 Washtenaw Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-971-6355
- Cost: $100/person, $50/second person when signing up with first person
The lifeguards at this Washtenaw County center offer swimming classes for kids ages 4-plus.
- Address: 501 W. University Drive, Rochester
- Phone: 248-726-3160
- Cost: $90/lesson
Kids ages 6 months to 3 years can join in one of the Tiny Tot courses, based on their age, and learn swimming basics with the help of their parents. At age 3, they transition into the “Tadpole” group and keep moving up levels until they hit the American Red Cross LTS Level 6 “Sailfish” class.
- Address: 975 Congress St., Ypsilanti
- Phone: 734-482-4401
- Cost: $70/session, $65/second lesson or second child, $65/toddler class
This outdoor pool offers four levels in which kids learn to be independent in the water, how to float and kick, how to do a variety of strokes, and get comfortable in deep water, too.
- Addresses and phone numbers:
- Bloomfield Hills: 2050 S. Telegraph Road, 248-419-1634
- Royal Oak: 25352 Woodward Ave., 248-291-3101
- Troy: 710 E. Big Beaver Road, 248-817-1198
- Cost: $82/month
Find 11 courses for your child to work his or her way through. Begin with the “Parent-N-Me” class, which introduces kids to the water by incorporating bonding time with mom and dad. Next up is the toddler transition course. By the final level, kids will have learned a variety of strokes and will be ready to compete on a swim team. Note: Southfield Location coming soon.
- Address: 1866 Woodland Drive, Saline
- Phone: 734-429-3502
- Cost: $45 all levels except starfish, $60/starfish; nonmembers: $60/all levels except starfish, $80/starfish; fees cover five class sessions
Offers a “Parent & Tot” class for kids 6 months to 2 1/2 years and a “Parent & Preschooler” class for 2 1/2 through age 5, where kids learn water comfort and basic skills including kicks, floating, bubble blowing, jumps and more. A “Starfish” next learns submerged, front and back floats – then it’s on to to the “Minnow,” “Sea Turtle” and “Dolphin.” By “Shark” classes, for ages 4-6, kids get comfortable in deep water and learn freestyle swim strokes.
- Address: Summit on the Park’s Indoor Aquatic Center, 46000 Summit Parkway, Canton
- Phone: 734-394-5460
- Cost: Varies by class
Award-winning lifeguards supervise the highly trained instructors that teach a variety of different programs, from beginner parent-and-child swimming classes for kids to competitive levels for middle school-aged kids and teens, plus conditioning and more.
- Address: 20699 Macomb St., Macomb
- Phone: 586-992-2900
- Township residents: $55/ages 6 months-12 years, $100/private lessons, $80/semi-private lessons
- Non-township Macomb County residents: $65/ages 6 months-12 years, $110/private lessons, $90/semi-private lessons
Youth are tested to determine which class level they should be in before parents sign them up for swimming classes for kids ages 6 months to 12 years.
- Address: 3425 Civic Center Drive, Troy
- Phone: 248-524-3514
- Cost: Varies; contact for details
Starfish Aquatics offers swimming classes for kids beginning at 6 months. Find private lessons in the mix here, too.
- Address: 5460 Arden Ave., Warren
- Phone: 586-268-8400
- Cost: $50/preschool lessons, $58/teen lessons, $200/private and semi-private lessons
Find lessons for ages 4 and under and teens, along with private and semi-private lessons, all aimed at teaching water lovers to be safe in and around the pool.
- Address: 39221 Woodward Ave., Bloomfield Hills
- Phone: 248-645-3734
- Cost: Around $115-$120/eight-week sessions; instructors set fees for private lessons
Check out this spot’s group swim, private or semi-private lessons for any age and skill level in the fall, winter, spring and two summer sessions.
- Addresses and phone numbers:
- Birmingham Family YMCA: 400 E. Lincoln St, Birmingham, 248-644-9036
- Boll Family YMCA: 1401 Broadway St., Suite 3A, Detroit, 313-267-5300
- Carls Family YMCA: 300 Family Drive, Milford, 248-685-3020
- Downriver Family YMCA: 16777 Northline Rd, Southgate, 734-282-9622
- Farmington Family YMCA: 28100 Farmington Road, 248-553-4020
- Livonia Family YMCA: 14255 Stark Road, Livonia, 734-261-2161
- Macomb Family YMCA: 10 N. River Road, Mount Clemens, 586-468-1411
- North Oakland Family YMCA: 3378 E. Walton Blvd., Auburn Hills, 248-370-9622
- South Oakland Family YMCA: 1016 W. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak, 248-547-0030
- Wayne County Family Aquatic Center: 12600 Chandler Park Drive, 313-822-POOL
- Cost: May vary by location; discounts with YMCA memberships
The YMCA is a great place to find affordable swimming classes for kids. Options include Swim Starters for ages 6 months to 3 years, Swim Basics for ages 3 and older and Swim Strokes for 6-plus – along with youth private swim lessons and adaptive swim lessons.
This post is updated regularly.