Those famous athletes your child sees charging down the court, giving it their all on the ice or pushing hard on the field didn’t get where they are without motivation and support.
So who better to give kids a little advice and encouragement than the pros themselves? Read some of our favorite inspirational sports quotes for kids – including some motivational quotes for teenage athletes – to keep your kid’s head in the game.
1. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it or work around it.”
– Michael Jordan, former professional basketball player
2. “You have to remember that the hard days are what make you stronger. The bad days make you realize what a good day is. If you never had any bad days, you would never have that sense of accomplishment.”
– Aly Raisman, American gymnast and Olympian gold medalist
3. “You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.”
– Michael Phelps, American swimmer and Olympian gold medalist
4. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”
– Babe Ruth, former professional baseball player
5. “Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back … play for her.”
– Mia Hamm, former professional soccer player and Olympic gold medalist
6. “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.”
– Vince Lombardi, former football player, coach and executive in the National Football League (NFL)
7. “Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.”
– Wayne Gretzky, former professional hockey player in the National Hockey League (NHL)
8. “Courage doesn’t mean you don’t get afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you.”
– Bethany Hamilton, champion surfer
9. “Scientists have proven that it’s impossible to long-jump 30 feet, but I don’t listen to that kind of talk. Thoughts like that have a way of sinking into your feet.”
– Carl Lewis, former track and field athlete and Olympic gold medalist
10. “It doesn’t matter what your background is or where you came from. If you have dreams and goals, that’s all that matters.”
– Serena Williams, professional tennis player
Do you have any favorite inspirational sports quotes for kids you’d like to share? Comment below!
This post was originally published in 2019 and is updated regularly.