As Michigan slowly returns tolife before COVID-19, many Detroit- and Ann Arbor-area families are staying close to home for their safety and practicing social distancing.
We understand that this a challenging time for everyone, especially those with young kids, and we want to help by providing families a weekly list of our “daily picks” filled withvirtual events, indoor activitiesand other fun things to do with your kids while at home.
Are you sharing your at-home activities on Instagram? Tag us @MetroParentMag or use our community hashtag #MPMoment.
Monday, August 3
- Have a dance party: You can start jammin’ with the top ten Disney songs both parents and kids love.
- Make multicultural people dolls: All you need is some paper, yarn and markers for this creative activity, which is also an excellent way to teach kids about race.
- Try letterboxing: Play the ultimate game of hide-and-seek at these local spots.
Tuesday, August 4
- Make a TikTok: Get the lowdown on the video-sharing app and how you can enjoy it with your kids.
- Take a virtual roller coaster ride: Not comfortable visiting Cedar Point just yet? Break your adrenaline drought with a virtual ride on Millennium Force, Raptor and others.
- Visit a local u-pick orchard: Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries oh MI! They’re in season and ripe for the picking at these spots.
Wednesday, August 5
- Take in a drive-in movie: Movie theaters have just opened but a drive-in movie offers an entirely different experience.
- Watch a multicultural movie: Cinderella, Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse and Black Panther are among our top picks.
- Try some Bubble Tea: It’s sweet, creamy, delicious and offered at these local spots.
- Looking for something fun to do at home this August. Download our free Fun Guide to get the inside scoop on which local spots are reopening — and what they’re doing to keep visitor’s safe — online events and more fun activities.
Thursday, August 6
- Watch Moana: And enjoy some activities based on the hit flick.
- Take a hike: You can start on one of the numerous hiking trails in southeast Michigan.
- Make a dinosaur bin: Plastic dinosaurs and some cloud dough are all you need to make this cool sensory bin.
Friday, August 7
- Go Fish: No, not the card game. Hit up a local fishing hole and see what you can catch — just make sure you have your fishing license, first.
- Go to Hell: Or one of the 12 other weird roadside destinations that call Michigan home.
- Participate in our summer scavenger hunt: Each Monday we post a list of fun things to find. Share your hunt for these items on Instagram with #MPMoment for a chance to be shared.
- Check out the Metro Parent calendar: It’s full of virtual events to help you plan next week!
Weekend picks: August 8-9
Looking for fun things to do with your kids this weekend? We have plenty of ideas over on our Weekend Picks!
This post is updated weekly.