Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights that commemorates the rededication of the Holy Temple, kicks off at sundown on December 10, 2020, and like other holidays this year, your celebrations might look a bit different than last year or the year before.
With the coronavirus pandemic still at large, many families are opting to stay away from large events and extended family gatherings — but just because you’re at home this year, doesn’t mean you can’t have a fantastic Hanukkah in 2020.
If you’re looking for ways to kick your traditional festivities into high gear this year, our at-home Hanukkah guide has you covered with fun crafts, recipes and even a few events and activity ideas.
A traditional Hanukkah celebration wouldn’t be complete without brisket, latkes, kugel and more. While many families might have recipes handed down generation to generation, 2020 offers a great chance for families to mix up their Hanukkah menu a bit. Here are a few ideas for inspiration.
- Festive Hanukkah Food: This roundup includes six recipes for fluffy Matzah balls, twice-baked beef brisket Sufganiyot and more!
- Diverse Holiday Treat Ideas for Families to Make Together: Find recipes from fruit Menorahs to carrot parsnip Latkes and everything in between — plus Christmas, Divali and Kwanzaa recipes, too.
Menorah lightings with your families and special prayers are a must for this holiday, but there’s lots of fun activities you can do beyond that, too. Check out this list of Hanukkah happenings in 2020 if you feel like venturing out or make your own fun at home with these ideas.
- Hanukkah Crafts for Kids: Gather a few simple supplies and you’re on your way to make a yarn-wrapped hurricane Chanukah centerpiece, an Altoids tin Menorah and more.
- Hanukkah Holiday Craft Ideas for Kids and Families to Make: Happy Hanukkah wall art, sun catchers and a clothespin Menorah are some of the fun ideas on this craft list.
- Eight Exciting Hanukkah Gifts for Kids: Along with the eight days of celebrating comes eight days of gifts and if you’re stumped on what to get your kiddos this season, we suggest these eight festive gift ideas.