As the fall season nears, finding a good pumpkin for carving becomes a family mission. Picking your own instead of going to the store can be fun for adults and kids alike. Visit one of these many locations and pick your own pumpkins for the fall season.
Note: Keep in mind to dress for the weather, as it can get very cold or rainy out on the pumpkin patches. Call ahead for inclement weather to see if the locations are open, and call ahead for pricing as many go by pound. Many of them also don’t start selling until late September-October.
- Address: 13011 Bethel Church Road, Manchester
- Phone: 734-428-9310
- Hours: Noon-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday Sept. 3-Nov. 24
Alber Orchard has plenty of pumpkins in their patch starting at the end of September, as well as a corn maze, cider mill and 104 varieties of apples.
- Address: 16470 25 Mile Road, Macomb
- Phone: 586-781-3428
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, August-October.
Altermatt Farms has a variety of produce, and it is all sold in their farmer’s market daily. Call ahead to see what’s in stock for the day.
- Address: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Phone: 586-784-5343
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily
See Blake’s harvest calendar and current harvest on their website to keep up-to-date on what is available for picking. Some may be available at their Big Apple location as well. If you’re looking for more Halloween fun, they offer haunted attractions in October, too.
- Address: 12758 Jordan Road, Saline
- Phone: 734-429-1212
- Hours: 6-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6-10 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 6-Nov. 2
Coleman’s is more than a corn maze. They also have fresh-made donuts, u-pick apples, u-pick pumpkins and free petting barn and baby animals.
- Address: 2950 E. Seymour Lake Road, Ortonville
- Phone: 248-627-3329
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday (pumpkin patch only on weekends)
Cook’s has been serving the metro Detroit area since 1933, and in October they offer hayrides that take you to the pumpkin patch, let your pick your own pumpkin, a donut and a small glass of chocolate milk. Pumpkins are also available for sale in their pavilion.
- Address: 50240 Martz Road, Belleville
- Phone: 734-260-0334
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday in September, 3-7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday in October
With 20 acres of pumpkins in varying colors and shapes, there’s plenty to choose from at DeBuck’s. $15/person admission includes a hayride to the pumpkin patch. Pumpkins range in price by size.
- Address:1479 Ranch Road, Holly
- Phone: 248-634-8981
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily through October
Make an evening out of pumpkin picking and book Diehl’s Dinner and a Hayride, for $18/person 12 and older, $12/11 and younger, and an additional $10 for pumpkin picking, enjoy one of two menus for dinner with the family.
- Address: 61475 Silver Lake Road, South Lyon
- Phone: 248-437-0150
- Hours: 6 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Sunday through October
Pumpkins start near the end of October, and they’re u-pick so head out and pick your own from the patch. There’s also cider, donuts, wagon rides and more.
- Address: 6350 37 Mile road, Romeo
- Phone: 810-798-3611
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Weekends through October
There will be a variety of food trucks at the cider mill this season, so make a day of going out and getting some pumpkins. Check their harvest schedule for u-pick apples as well.
- Address: 10685 Warren Road, Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-2290
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. daily
Take the wagon ride or walk to Plymouth’s u-pick pumpkin patch, but you may want to take the wagon back depending on the size of your pumpkin. They have a variety of sizes for all uses.
- Address: 2961 W. 32 Mile Road, Romeo
- Phone: 586-752-2453
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily (pumpkin patch only on weekends)
Visit the mill for pumpkin picking and head back later in October for their moonlight hayrides on Saturday nights. Visit their sales room for all kinds of produce-products, including hand-made pies.
Do you know of other great pumpkin patches in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor? Tell us about them in the comments.