So, your kid has a bedtime but wants to celebrate the New Year, too? Well, you don’t have to choose between 2017 and your child’s sleep patterns this New Year’s Eve. Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties are packed with fun New Year’s events and activities on Saturday, Dec. 31, 2016 (including a ball drop) for both parents and kids to enjoy well before midnight; plus a few long-night/overnight events for older kids.
Did we miss an event? Tell us about it in the comments section below and we’ll add it to this roundup.
- Time: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday
- Address: Detroit Historical Museum, 5401 Woodward Ave.
- Cost: Free; parking fees apply
- Phone: 313-833-1805
The whole family is invited to the museum for this annual event, which features crafts, hot cocoa, cookies and a kid’s New Year’s countdown to noon.
- Time: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday
- Address: Berkley First United Methodist Church, 2820 12 Mile Road
- Cost: free
- Phone: 248-496-2851
There’s a countdown and balloon drop in celebration of 2017; plus fun activities, snacks, music and more.
- Time: 3-5 p.m. Saturday
- Location: Recreation Center at Hillside Middle School, 700 W. Baseline Road, Northville
- Cost: By Dec. 21: $2/ages 1-2, $10/ages 3-17, $12/ages 18-plus; after Dec. 21: $3/ages 1-2, $18/ages 3-17, $12/ages 18-plus
- Phone: 248-349-0203
Enjoy a mysterious magic show, face painting and games at this event – formerly known as the Northville Nite Family New Year’s Eve party; plus there’s a countdown and ball drop at 5 p.m. Refreshments available for $1.
- Time: 4-7 p.m. Saturday
- Address: Kirksey Recreation Center, 15100 Hubbard Road, Livonia
- Cost: $7.50/members, $10/residents, $13/non-residents, free/kids under one year (must register in person by Dec. 22 or until spots fill up)
- Phone: 734-466-2900
Enjoy a rock climbing wall and swimming, face painting, dodge ball and a giant inflatable structure. There’s also food, music and a surprise entertainer. Space is limited, be sure to grab your tickets ASAP.
- Time: 4-9 p.m. (adult-geared gala starts at 9:30 p.m.) Saturday
- Address: downtown Mount Clemens
- Cost: free/general, fees apply for train rides and the magic shows
- Contact: 586-469-4168
Join special fairytale guests as they help you ring in 2017 with face painting, magic shows, train and pony rides, a petting zoo, karaoke and more. Stick around until the end for a kid-friendly ball drop and fireworks. An adult-friendly gala follows these festivities.
- Time: 4 p.m. Saturday-1 a.m. Sunday
- Address: Campus Martius Park, 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Cost: free/general; skating: $8/adults, $7/kids under 12 and ages 50-plus, $3/skate rental
- Phone: 313-355-0413
The whole event lasts well into New Year’s Day for adults, but there’s a Kids Zone open 4-7 p.m. that features bounce houses, a jungle gym, face painting, karaoke, Ghostbusters Detroit and a D-Burst Sculpture drop at 6:30 p.m. There’s also ice-skating at the park, horse-drawn carriage rides, entertainment from local performers for everyone and another drop at midnight, too.
- Time: 5 p.m. Saturday
- Address: Mt. Brighton, 4141 Bauer Road, Brighton
- Cost: free/general
- Phone: 810-229-9581
There’s a giant fireworks display, live DJ and dancing, a photo booth, food and more at the Livingston County spot.
- Time: 5-8:30 p.m. Saturday
- Address: Troy Community Center, 3179 Livernois Road
- Cost: $5/residents, $6/non-residents
- Phone: 248-524-3300
Ring in 2017 with basketball and swimming as a family; plus pizza, pop an inflatable bounce castle and more.
- Time: 5:30 p.m. Saturday (end times vary by location)
- Address: Pump It Up of Canton (46090 Michigan Ave.), Pump It Up of Wixom (28373 Beck Road, Unit H), Pump It Up of Auburn Hills (1720 Opdyke Court)
- Cost: $15/child (pre-paid reservation required)
- Phone: Canton: 734-495-1222, Wixom: 248-912-1090, Auburn Hills: 248-375-1100
There’s a kids-only balloon drop countdown; plus pizza, drinks and lots of jumping around!
- Time: 6 p.m. pre-show, 7 p.m. main show Saturday
- Address: The Village Theater at Cherry Hill, 50400 Cherry Hill Road, Canton
- Cost: $20
- Phone: 734-394-5300, ext. 3
Ring in the New Year with this circus performance that features contortion and acrobatic acts, fire eating and dancing, and tons of other circus sideshow acts. While the performance starts at 7 p.m., there is face painting, strolling circus entertainers and more in the lobby at 6 p.m.
- Time: 6 p.m.-midnight
- Address: Downtown Wyandotte (ball drop near the clock tower on Biddle Avenue at Maple)
- Cost: Free
Come by for a family-friendly night of live music, games, activities in a heated tent and a ball drop at the clock tower on Biddle Avenue at Maple. There will be one drop at 9 p.m. for families and another a midnight.
- Time: 6-8:50 p.m. Saturday
- Address: Arctic Coliseum Arena, 501 Coliseum Drive, Chelsea
- Cost: $8/person (includes skate rental)
- Phone: 734-433-4444
Join a live DJ for a night of skating. Request your favorite songs and skate the night away to laser lights.
- Time: 10 p.m. Saturday-2 a.m. Sunday
- Address: Zap Zone Ann Arbor (4177 Carpenter Road, 734-930-6670), Zap Zone Canton (41953 Ford Road, 734-844-7746), Zap Zone Waterford (1490 N. Oakland Blvd., 248-706-7777), Zap Zone Sterling Heights (43680 Van Dyke Ave., 586-323-0030), Zap Zone Farmington (31506 Grand River Ave., 248-471-6777), Zap Zone Taylor (9751 Telegraph Road, 313-299-9690)
- Cost: $20; pre-register and pay
Action-seeking kids can ring in the New Year with unlimited laser tag and glo-golf. Plus there are bumper cars running at select times and locations. Check ahead for age information.