Families in the market for something fun to do together for Valentine’ Day can find a whole bunch of lovely events happening across southeast Michigan this month. Take a peek below and see if anything strikes your fancy!
Dates vary, Feb. 2-20
Keepsake photos, kid-friendly tunes, food and, of course, a chance for pop and his best gal to bust some moves! From “An Evening in Paris” to cameos by Cinderella and Prince Charming, these affairs pull out the stops in Novi, Ferndale, St. Clair Shores, Dearborn, Saline, Redford and more. Pre-registration is a must.
- Where: Various venues throughout southeast Michigan
- More info: Visit the Metro Parent calendar
Saturday, Feb. 6
Treats, chocolate sculpting and kid make-and-takes are all in store at Chelsea’s eighth annual event that’s topped with valentine shop specials and raffles. It runs 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Entry is free.
- Where: Downtown Chelsea
- More info: 734-475-3539, chelseamich.com
Loving to Recycle
Saturday, Feb. 13
Show the Earth some affection too. Learn why recycling matters – and see where it happens. After, make a valentine out of recycled material. This free program is for ages 6-plus and spans 10 a.m.-noon. Wear long pants and closed-toe shoes.
- Where: Materials Recycling Facility, 4150 Platt Road, Ann Arbor
- More info: 734-633-9474, ecocenter.org
Winter Hike and Cookout
Saturday, Feb. 20
For just $2 a person, get your crew outdoors for a brisk stroll. Dress for the weather! Pack up hot dogs and marshmallows to roast up over a toasty campfire, too, at this drop-in event for ages 4-plus. Goes noon-3 p.m.
- Where: Burgess-Shadbush Nature Center, 4101 River Bends Drive, Shelby Township
- More info: 586-323-2478, shelbytwp.org
Family Fort Night
Friday, Feb. 26
Transform library tables, chairs, nooks and crannies into your family’s personal fort (bring your own blankets and sheets) at this first-time event, which runs 6:30-8 p.m. They provide the books and snacks. You cozy up and bond. And it’s free!
- Where: Bloomfield Township Library, 1099 Lone Pine Road
- More info: 248-642-5800, btpl.org
Moon Mouse: A Space Odyssey
Sunday, Feb. 28
This sci-fi show by Lightwire Theatre is sweet and spellbinding – characters, including Marvin the mouse, are made of simple glowing wires set against a dark backdrop. Spark an early love of theater with this tyke-friendly show. It’s at 4 p.m. and $10/kids, $20/adults.
- Where: Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts, 350 Madison St., Detroit.
- More info: 313-887-8500, musichall.org
For a look at even more events happening in southeast Michigan for Valentine’s Day, visit our roundup – and make a date!