Returning for another year, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra presents its Tiny Tots and Young People’s Family Concert series offering a musical experience for all children.
The program is offered on the following Saturdays: Oct. 27 and Dec. 8, 2018, and March 23 and May 4, 2019.
Each date offers a Tiny Tots show at 10 a.m. in the DSO Cube and a Young People’s Family Concert at 11 a.m. in Orchestra Hall. The Tiny Tots shows are best for ages 2-6 and offer morning music, singing and dancing. As part of Super Saturdays, these shows are followed by activities on all three levels of the Max M. and Marjorie S. Fisher Music Center.
The fun continues with the Young People’s Family Concerts at 11 a.m., which are best for ages 6 and up. They offer an exciting intro to classical music with dance, theater, storytelling and video technology.
Here’s what’s in store for 2018-19.
Oct. 27, 2018
- Tiny Tots: Rock O’Ween with Miss Paula and the Candy Bandits. This fun group will play popular children’s songs set to a rock beat. Kids are invited to wear their favorite Halloween costumes.
- Young People’s Family Concerts: Halloween at Hogwarts. Dress up as your favorite Harry Potter character and enjoy a live performance of some of the most magical Hogwarts hits. There’s also a costume contest and other pre-concert activities.
Dec. 8, 2018
- Tiny Tots: Enjoy the musical stylings of Sean Dobbins and Friends as they explore the world of Dr. Seuss with music, rhythm and rhyming.
- Young People’s Family Concerts: The orchestra brings the children’s book The Snowman by Raymond Briggs to life.
March 23, 2019
- Tiny Tots: Fox & Branch lead a concert full of classic kids songs and plenty of audience participation.
- Young People’s Family Concerts: Beethoven Lives Upstairs. This musical show tells the tale of a grumpy Beethoven who moves into an apartment and teaches the family below the beauty in his music.
May 4, 2019
- Tiny Tots: Earth Day is Everyday. Celebrate it with Joe Reilly and learn why it’s important to take care of the environment.
- Young People’s Family Concerts: May the 4th be with You. Blast off into a galaxy far, far during this family-friendly musical performance.
General admission tickets are priced at $12 for the Tiny Tots series and vary for the Young People’s concerts. Buy tickets at the DSO website or at the Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Music Center Box Office. For more information, call 313-576-5111 or visit the family concerts page here.
For more details on the 2018-19 Tiny Tots and Young People’s Family Concerts series – and more concerts for kids in southeast Michigan – visit the Metro Parent calendar.
This post was originally published in 2016 and is updated regularly.