Interested in leaving home, but not going too far away? This summer, choose a vacation rental home in Michigan for your next summer vacay. With a rental, you’ll be able to beat the crowds and bond with your family in a peaceful environment with open spaces. This season, escape into the sweet outdoors and fall in love with the beauty of nature. Find a rental home that matches what you’re looking for that’s in walking distance of the beach.
There are several resources available to begin your search including Pure Michigan’s website. Kick off your search with the list of these 10 spots for vacation rentals in Michigan.
- Cost: $185-$300/night (depending on date – minimum stay requirements)
- Sleeps: 5; 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom
Looking for a vacation rental cabin south of Traverse City tucked into the bend of the Boardman River? Look no further than this fishing hotspot, which is close to fly-fishing zones. Enjoy the sights along the river in one of two complimentary kayaks available for your use. Stay cozy inside your cabin with a wood fireplace and space heaters. Dogs are allowed.
Soak up the Nature and Capture the History
- Cost: $220-$275/night (depending on date – minimum stay requirements)
- Sleeps: 6; 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom
Enjoy this wide-open space, which is a mile away from Lake Michigan. Hop on your bike to the beach or go sightseeing around the area in your spare time. Capture history with the press of a flash. This charming spot is minutes away from the Sleeping Bear Dunes and Glen Arbor. Dogs are welcome.
A Sweet Escape
- Cost: $395-$425/night (depending on date – minimum stay requirements)
- Sleeps: 10; 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Escape the city life and enjoy the sunset views of this waterfront community. The cottage is about 20 minutes north and west of Traverse City, and includes a TV with cable, DVD system and Wi-Fi. Families can gather around the fire pit as the sun goes down and stargaze at night. Dogs are allowed.
Magical Spot for a Family Reunion
- Cost: varies, call 906-847-8077, minimum stay 14 nights
- Sleeps: 20; 10 bedrooms, 6.5 bathrooms
Check out this historic and charming cottage. Known for its captivating views of the Mackinac Bridge and Straits of Mackinac, this location is great for those looking to explore the area.
For the Love of the Game
- Cost: $208/night (average)
- Sleeps: 12; 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Cozy up by the fireplace or cool down with central air. When you’re not out golfing, enjoy free channels and more with free Wi-Fi high speed internet.
Best Beachside Retreat
- Cost: $265/night; $1,550-$2,100/week (check website for weekly rates/availability)
- Sleeps: 12; 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
You can take a walk along the sandy beach outside of the 1,800-square-foot cabin, which comes with a fire pit, flat screen TV, Wi-Fi, Jacuzzi tub and more. The log home is six miles north of Harrisville, and will make you feel like you have your own private beach.
Let the Games Begin
- Cost: $500-plus/night (additional cleaning fee)
- Sleeps: 9; 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Looking for a romantic getaway or a spot to do some family bonding? Check out this location, which includes a fire pit in the backyard as well as a hot tub and upper deck great for barbecuing. The kids will love the game room filled with a foosball table, card game table, checkers and chess.
Peace and Quiet
- Cost: Get in contact with company
- Sleeps: 6; 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom
With a great view of Lake Huron, you can sit back on your porch and enjoy the nice breeze and water. This peaceful cottage comes with a full kitchen, fire pit and more. After roasting marshmallows, take your kids to play in the water and sand to make the most of your time here.
Relaxation at its Finest
- Cost: $550/night (minimum stay requirements)
- Sleeps: 20; 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Take a break from your everyday life and make a sweet escape to this Eastern Michigan rental near Port Sanilac. Cook your favorite meal in a gourmet kitchen relax on the balcony and gather your family for hours of relaxation and fun.
- Cost: $325/night (depending on date – minimum stay requirements)
- Sleeps: 9; 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a loft
Nature is calling in this relaxing and charming beach cottage. It is one block away from South Beach. The cottage, which was built in 2006, has a full kitchen, fireplace and more for your family trip. It is also walking distance from the town and lighthouse pier.
After taking a look at these top vacation rentals in Michigan, take a look at our vacation rental dos and don’ts so you can be extra prepared for your trip.
This article was originally published in 2015 and is updated regularly.