Fancy fresh produce, eating healthy and supporting local business? Visiting a farmers or farm market is the perfect way to do all three. Whether you’re craving an egg muffin on the go, made-to-order sushi, apples for a holiday cobbler or savory eats for a new recipe, a local market below has just the fare to satisfy your needs.
Note that many markets’ hours change seasonally; check their websites for the latest.
- Address: 435 Ionia Ave. SW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-805-5308
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday
Discover local, independent businesses at this community hub located in the heart of the city, and stay awhile! Grab a coffee, snag samples, dine in, pick up something on the go or buy all you need for a recipe. Home to about two dozen vendors, two restaurants, a rentable Incubator Kitchen, rooftop greenhouses, and the first kid-friendly demonstration kitchen – there’s plenty to see, taste and savor. Check out the event and class calendar to get involved in a wholesome way.
- Address: 2470 Burton St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-228-6530
- Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
Help your child head to the top of the class this year..
Ace it with your FREE School Success Guide
Shop healthy, fresh and organic at one of Fresh Thyme’s farmer’s markets. Find natural meats raised without hormones, fresh-daily seafood, hearty breads from local bakeries, meals made to order, earth-friendly cleaning supplies, gluten-free and dairy-free eats, and natural body care products. Boasting low prices and seasonal specials, new customers are sure to become loyal patrons.
- Address: 1147 E. Fulton St., Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-454-4188
- Hours: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday and Friday-Saturday, first Saturday of May-Saturday before Christmas
Swing by this open-air shop to grab a quick breakfast or lunch on the go, or mingle awhile and peruse produce and plants. Consult The Rapidian to see what’s in season and what you can expect to find at the oldest and largest farmer’s market in Grand Rapids.
- Address: 6740 Fruit Ridge Ave. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-784-2730
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, July-Nov. 1; added hours: noon-5 p.m. Sunday, September-October
This apple orchard features varieties such as Honeycrisp, Northern Spy, Jonagold and more. Find berries, syrups, jams, peaches and other fruits and veggies during the summer while you wait for the apples to ripen in the fall.
- Phone: 616-464-1899
- Address: 6809 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids
- Address: 3150 Plainfield Ave., NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-363-4175
- Address: 5316 Clyde Park Ave. SW, Wyoming
- Phone: 616-534-4414
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday
Specializing in clean eating and fresh meats, find fare raised without growth hormones, preservatives, dyes and antibiotics at these markets. Many vegetables and fruits are frozen with the exception of in-season specials.
- Address: 4455 Breton Road SE, Kentwood
- Phone: 616-455-7998
- Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
This grocery store provides patrons with Michigan produce from trusted growers. Sink your teeth into ripe fruit. Pick up fresh-cut flowers or savor locally produced eggs and milk. Try signature salsas made with original family recipes. Take a look at the ever-changing tavern menu and sip boutique wine or craft beer while you shop!
- Address: 2420 Eastern Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-245-7040
- Address: 3500 Plainfield Ave. NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-363-7888
- Address: 830 28th St. SW, Wyoming
- Phone: 616-350-9767
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
Ken’s Fruit Market has three destinations for patrons to choose from. Featuring fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade sausages and poultry products, hanging baskets and potted plants – this market is a one-stop shop for staying healthy and beautifying your yard for the summer.
- Address: 4950 Breton Road SE, Kentwood
- Phone: 616-656-5270
- Hours: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, June 10-Oct. 7
Start your summer Saturdays with a bit of light shopping at this outdoor market featuring local vendors selling fruit, vegetables, plants, baked sweets, meat, coffee, honey and more. Participants include (but are not limited to) Sallese House of Suds with their handmade soaps, K Gourmet Bake Shoppe’s food truck with desserts and roasted nuts, and every other Saturday, R & B Farm will be on site selling grass-fed beef. No matter your produce needs, this market’s sure to gratify.
- Address: 5900 Byron Center Ave. SW, Wyoming
- Phone: 616-252-6097
- Hours: 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, May 11-Oct. 12
A healthy eating program courtesy of the University of Michigan, those on and off campus can come shop for farm-fresh produce, plants, baked treats, homemade sweets, hand-crafted items and more from about 60 vendors. During the summer, check the calendar for family-fun events.
- Address: 2934 68th St. SE, Caledonia
- Phone: 616-698-6308
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, June-Christmas Eve
Make a day of it and take the family to this orchard outside the big city. Enjoy hayrides on the weekends, feed and pet the eager farm animals any day, and hike the natural trail and keep your eyes peeled for fowl. On your way out, don’t neglect the produce and bakery shop, featuring goat milk, homemade honey, farm-fresh eggs and maple syrup, ice cream and hot dogs. When autumn arrives, stock up on pumpkins and apples for those holiday pies and indulge in cherries, donuts and cider. Finally, in December, find hearty pines to take home and decorate into Christmas trees.
- Address: 6484 Eastern Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-455-7390
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, May-December
What started as a humble endeavor in the ‘80s has grown into an expansive greenhouse and market space. An impressive selection of flowers are available, as well as produce for those wholesome family recipes. In December, celebrate the holiday season with the Christmas Jar Jamboree, when patrons can pick up jarred goods like jams, jellies, relishes, pickles, dressings and sauces. And if you’re lucky, you’ll meet a barnyard cat or two that call the farm home.
- Address: 1053 Leonard St. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-451-0150
- Hours: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. (weather dependent) Thursday, May-October
West Grand Neighborhood Organization coordinates farmers markets on Thursdays at Leonard Christian Reformed Church. For a quick trip to pick up vegetables and fruits for the week or dinner that night, this market’s a prime choice within the city.