Getting your coffee fix can be an essential part of your busy day. Whether you’re interested in a morning pick-me-up, looking to beat that midday slump, or simply crave a soothing brew to warm your insides during the chilly months, there’s likely a chic and hip coffee house right around the corner. We’ve taken the search out of the equation and compiled a list of independent shops in Grand Rapids for you to peruse for your next pour-over, seasonal espresso, dirty chai or iced latte. Many serve local businesses’ treats and sweets, roast their own locally sourced beans, and strive to create not only mean brews, but unique experiences too. So get out there and treat yourself.
- Address: 1319 Fulton St. E, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-459-2999
- Hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m. Sunday
Common Ground boasts being the oldest coffee house in Grand Rapids. Swing by with your study books, your laptop, or a friend and order a brew, maybe a panini, too, then snag a table in front of the stained glass windows. Need a study break? Indulge in a little retro fun at the Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga tables.
- Address: 227 Winter Ave. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-988-0006
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
- Address: 40 Pearl St. NW, Suite 100A, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-228-8840
- Hours: 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
Tickle your taste buds and support this family-owned company that’s been providing plant-grown products since 1924. Experience the tastes of the world on your community’s doorstep – featured beans come from Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Guatemala and more.
- Address: 2433 Eastern Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-855-4343
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Get your caffeine fix here via black, white, or oolong tea, or celebrate the autumnal season with pumpkin pie and maple lattes. Morning commuters can snag a D’arts doughnut or a savory GR bagel on the go. Those with a sweet tooth should check out the ice cream display.
- Address: 100 Commerce Ave. SW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-920-0209
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Those looking to share good coffee among warm company while surrounded by artsy works should check out this coffee bar and lounge. Lantern features local artists and open mic nights on Thursdays. Find Populace coffee here, providing the rich tastes of Honduras, Kenya, El Salvador and more. Food options include GR bagels, pastries, and vegan eats.
- Address: 944 Fulton St. E, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-930-3768
- Hours: 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Here, find products from Spirit Tea, Rise, Sweet Batches, Parlor Coffee and more. Enjoy an espresso, tea, or kombucha and a rotating selection of seasonal treats. The shop features local artists’ work.
- Address: 617 Lyon St. NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-635-2194
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
This neighborhood cafe located in historic Heritage Hill-Midtown offers espresso and pour-over coffees, hot chocolate, beer and wine, quality nuts, cheeses and desserts. Find vegan and gluten-free options, too.
- Address: 208 Grandville Ave. SW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-608-3052
- Hours: 6 a.m.-midnight daily
Step into this Central-American themed cafe for an espresso, breakfast or deli sandwich (vegetarian options, too), or take your pick of flavorful lattes, including horchata, crème brulee, butterbeer, dirty chai and more. Open mic nights are every Thursday night.
- Address: 150 Fulton St. E, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-802-2626
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
This hybrid shop and art gallery is located downtown and has entire walls dedicated to art. The menu caters to caffeine fiends looking for a twist and features an affogato (espresso with ice cream), Milky Way, Snickers, Nutella, and pumpkin spice lattes during the autumn season. Ask about the soup of the day. Sip hot-loose tea or savor a fruit smoothie (non-dairy options available).
- Address: 600 Seventh St. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-608-4391
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday
With soothing blue walls and mismatched furniture all in a single spacious room, Roots exudes a chill vibe. Enjoy an espresso, dirty chai, iced coffee or tea, a Nantucket Baking bagel or a savory soup.
- Address: 632 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-780-7777
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
The wooden décor lends a simple warmth to patrons’ cafe experience. Find nitro cold brews and kombucha on tap, pour overs, and specialty drinks that change with the seasons. Bring a friend or a book and sip outside in the summertime. Seek refuge and shelter inside beside the big picture window once winter’s chill sets in.
- Address: 3679 29th St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-956-1881
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
Schuil began as a family endeavor and is still selling quality beverages to the community with the same passion that jumpstarted the business more than 40 years ago. Here, Arabica beans are the seed of choice. Grown at higher elevations in exotic locations around the world helps keep the flavors full and smooth for patrons’ palates. There are more than 200 coffees and teas to choose from.
- Address: 955 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-350-9545
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Offering up the best of both worlds – Squibb serves up punchy coffees for those on the go and smooth wines for those looking to relax. Bring your homework and grind or meet a group and socialize over expertly-crafted beverages (cheeses available for wine and beer pairings).
- Address: 1445 Lake Drive SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-258-8350
- Hours: 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday
At That Early Bird, patrons come for the coffee but stay for the grub. Enjoy breakfast any time before 6 p.m. The extensive menu features salmon and eggs, biscuits and gravy, grain bowls, sandwiches, ramen bowls and more, including vegan and gluten-free options. Get your cappuccinos, lattes (complete with latte art), and espressos here. Milk substitutes available.
- Address: 752 W. Fulton St., Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-451-6061
- Hours: open 24/7 daily
This cafe is open day and night for those burning the midnight oil. Snag a cappuccino, breve, red eye, cortado, or a sweet treat in the form of a specialty latte – like an Almond Joy, French toast, or peppermint patty. Skinny lattes, smoothies, and teas available, too. Need to quell the muchies? Grab a hot sandwich, corn dog, or baked treat.
- Address: 1035 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-608-3375
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 442 Bridge St. NW, Grand Rapids
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
This specialty coffee shop recently opened a new location on Grand Rapids’ West Side and started roasting their own beans. Mix knowledge with pleasure and order a hand-crafted coffee, tea, or a cold-pressed juice – organic and locally sourced – then peruse the “newsstand” for a book, newspaper, or magazine to read while you drink.