A generous scoop of ice cream is the best remedy for sweltering summer days. Whether you’re a vanilla kind o’ gal or searching for a scrumptious spin on an old-fashioned favorite, there’s a local shop featuring a variety of flavors waiting to be hand-dipped (or soft-served) to you and the family. So check out the independent shops below and get ready to have your taste buds tickled.
- Address: 521 44th St. SW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-466-9096
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday, mid-April-September
Dig into a chili cheese dog, onion rings, or cheeseburger at this family-operated shop, then top it off with a butterscotch malt, Boston Cooler, peach slushy, ice cream cone or one of many other chilled desserts featured here.
- Address: 1225 Michigan St. NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-742-1981
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-9:30 p.m. Friday-Sunday, mid-April-September
With 24 flavors of soft serve and frozen yogurt, hot dogs, old-fashioned banana splits, sundaes and malts – those who swing by are sure to satisfy their cravings for something savory and sweet.
- Address: 3950 W. River Drive NE, Comstock Park
- Phone: 616-784-5505
- Hours: 2-8:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and 1-8:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, April-September
Hudsonville fans can find hand-dipped cones here, as well as malts, shakes, flurries, slushes and chili dogs. For special occasions, swing by and pick up an ice cream cake.
- Address: 3284 Remembrance Road NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-301-2973
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. daily, mid-March-September
Featuring ice cream courtesy of Hudsonville, Homemade Brand, House of Flavors and Sweet Temptations, you can stay loyal to your favorite flavors or switch it up. You’ll find 25 flurry combinations to keeps things interesting for your palate. Savory options include corn dogs, sliders, cheese fries and chili dogs. Stick around and play 19-hole mini golf for $2.50/player.
- Address: 958 Cherry St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-258-8733
- Hours: noon-8 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Sunday
Voted the No. 1 ice cream joint last summer in Revue’s “Best of the West” readers’ poll, this creamery keeps on impressing with vegan options and unconventional flavors like Fruity Pebbles, mojito, molasses cookie and more. Those who bring their furry friends can buy them a pup cup! The creamery even caters to spots within a 30-mile radius of the shop.
- Address: 4030 Lake Michigan Drive NW, Standale
- Phone: 616-453-7090
- Hours: 2-9 p.m. daily; summer: 1-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, noon-9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, mid-March-October
Serving eager customers for over 35 years, this hotspot dishes up traditional flavors in freshly homemade waffle cones. Malts and shakes are on the menu, too. Sit outside beside the mural dedicated to your favorite childhood cartoon characters or inside at the high-top bar.
- Address: 652 Croswell Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-458-4107
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-8 p.m. Sunday, March 1-31; 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-9 p.m. Sunday, April 1-May 25; 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-10 p.m. Sunday, May 26-Sept. 3; 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-9 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 4-Oct. 31
Reminiscent of mom-and-pop candy stores, Jersey Junction has it all – retro candy lines the walls and the menu features lasting favorites: all-beef hot dogs and bratwursts; an assortment of cones and creamy flavors; banana splits; dirt, monster and turtle sundaes; creamsicle shakes; and blends of citrusy sodas and sherbets topped with dollops of whipped cream.
- Address: 435 Ionia Ave. SW, Stall 106, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-965-1054
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Love’s Ice Cream – “Grand Rapids’ original vegan gelato and grass-fed dairy ice cream” – was also featured in Revue’s 2016 “Best of the West” readers’ poll. And with scrumptious flavors like lavender blueberry, apple pie a la mode, white Russian, son of soulful ginger and cardamom orange blossom, is it any wonder why patrons keep coming back for more?
- Address: 717 Cherry St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-776-0266
- Hours: 3:30-10 p.m. daily, May 13-Sept. 4
Located in the Cherry Hill District, swing by and slurp a malt or savor a sundae, banana split, ice cream or sherbet made by Ludington’s House of Flavors and scooped into a freshly made waffle cone.
- Address: 1127 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-451-9605
- Hours: 12:30 p.m.-9 p.m. daily, mid-April-mid-October
Visit this parlor to pick your favorite among 44 flavors in rotation, such as black raspberry supreme, key lime pie, carrot cake, or stick with the oldies but goodies – mint chocolate chip, chocomania, superman and more. Tasty gluten-free and vegan options are available.
- Address: 6969 Division Ave. S, Cutlerville
- Phone: 616-281-6969
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. daily, April-October
Treat yourself to something sweet like a peach soft-serve cone with sprinkles, brownie batter ice cream with chunks and caramel swirls, vegan vanilla, fat-free strawberry frozen yogurt, lemon custard or one of the other options at this popular spot that puts spins on traditional favorites.
- Address: 700 28th St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-241-0969
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday, mid-March-October
Stop by and grub on a chili dog, then top it off with a sweet treat – a shake, malt, ice cream soda, hand-dipped Hudsonville or soft-serve ice cream, float or frozen yogurt. Delicious shake flavors include strawberry pineapple, chocolate marshmallow, butterscotch, peach and more.