When the temperatures cool off, it’s time to find some things to do indoors. Why not try indoor rock climbing with your kids this fall and winter? There are plenty of places in and near Grand Rapids to do rock climbing, ropes courses and more. Take a peek at our list below.
Call ahead for pricing information as rates vary depending on skill level and first visits. Most locations require a waiver.
- Address: 3201 Burton SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-526-7541
- Hours: 2-4 p.m. Sunday, 3:30-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 2:30-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
The climbing center is located in the lobby of Calvin’s Spoelhof Fieldhouse complex and is modeled after the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. There are over 50 routes that change weekly. Belay certification is required at no cost. Harnesses and climbing shoes provided.
- Address: 136 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo
- Phone: 269-385-9891
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-10 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-8 p.m. Sunday
Though it is a bit of a hike, Climb Kalamazoo is worth the trip. There are plenty of courses for beginners and experts alike, and it is open to any age that is able to climb. Waivers can be completed online.
- Address: 76 S. River Ave., Holland
- Phone: 616-294-3931
- Hours: 6 a.m.-1 p.m. and 4:30-6:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 6 a.m.-1 p.m. and 4-10 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 6 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, 3-7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Crossfit offers rock climbing, the only climbing gym on the lake shore, with over 1,000 square feet of climbing surface. They also offer bouldering on 16-foot walls and padded flooring.
- Address: 6191 Kraft Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-871-6198
- Hours: 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30-9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 1-10 p.m. Sunday
The 20-foot-tall climbing wall has 550 square feet of climbable surface. Up to seven climbers can be on at a time in one of the seven different courses, each with a different difficulty level.
- Address: 1 Campus Drive, B 170 Recreation Center, Allendale
- Phone: 616-331-3226
- Hours: 3-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday, 3-9 p.m. Friday, 1-5 p.m. Saturday
There are two styles of climbing available at Grand Valley: bouldering and top roping. Bouldering means climbing low to the ground without gear, while top roping is climbing the wall with a harness and rope attached to the top. Check ahead for partner climb hours.
- Address: 851 Bond Ave. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-774-3100
- Hours: 5-10 p.m. Monday and Friday, 3-10 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 5-11 p.m. Wednesday, noon-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday
Higher Ground offers lessons in everything from rock climbing to ice climbing, and passes are for the whole day. Rental equipment is available as well – just be sure to wear socks.
- Address: 639 76 St. SW, Suite 1, Byron Center
- Phone: 616-281-7088
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday
Inside Moves is one of the first climbing gyms in Michigan and they have climbing walls up to 31 feet high. There are plenty of areas for any skill level. Equipment is available for rent.
- Address: 2500 S. Division Ave., Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-588-7200
- Hours: 5-8 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, 1-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
The 30-foot wall has four courses to climb with auto belay, no partner required. Along with the climbing wall, the center a water slide, a child care and game room, art and education rooms and more.
- Address: 1555 Marshall Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-279-3169
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Terra Firma has 4,000 square feet of wall space to climb on, and the routes change monthly. You can also work in their co-working space so you can be productive and active any day. Free Wi-Fi and a kids wall, as well.
- Address: 475 Lake Michigan Drive NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-855-9622
- Hours: Registration for sessions required; call ahead for upcoming sessions
Your children can take classes on rock climbing to learn how to safely climb until they are a pro. Gym shoes and sports attire are required but the other equipment is provided.
- Address: 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo
- Phone: 269-387-4732
- Hours: 7-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6-8 p.m. Sunday
The climbing wall located at the student recreation center at Western is 45 feet tall with three levels of difficulty. Anyone under 18 must have a parent present, and climbers can bring their own climbing shoes. Other climbing equipment is provided.