Boy, did this year sure fly by. Christmas is quickly approaching and once the jolly ol’ guy makes his rounds around town, it’ll be goodbye 2017 and hello 2018. And if you’re looking for some spectacular New Year’s Eve family events to send off the year in style, we’ve got you covered.
Here, you’ll find our top 10 New Year’s Eve party picks for Western Michigan families – from sporting events to earlier parties and more. Take a gander and start planning your family’s celebration today.
Note: all events happen on Sunday, Dec. 31, unless otherwise noted.
- Address: Alto Branch, 6071 Linfield Ave. SE, Alto; Caledonia Township Branch, 6260 92nd St. SE, Caledonia; Cascade Township Branch, 2870 Jacksmith Ave. SE, Grand Rapids; Gaines Township Branch, 421 68th St. SE, Grand Rapids; Kentwood Branch, 4950 Breton Road SE, Kentwood; Krause Memorial Branch, 140 E. Bridge St. NE, Rockford; Nelson Township Branch, 88 Bass Lake Road, Nelson Township; Plainfield Township Branch, 2650 5 Mile Road, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-784-2007
- Times: 11 a.m.-noon (Plainfield Township Branch) 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (other branches) Saturday, Dec. 30
- Cost: Free
Select locations of the Kent District Library are inviting kids over to countdown to 2018 with crafts, noisemakers and other New Year’s fun.
- Address: Holland Aquatic Center, 550 Maple Ave., Holland
- Phone: 616-393-7595
- Times: noon-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 30
- Cost: $6.25/residents, $8/non-residents
Just a half an hour beyond the city, this Luau-style celebration happens just before New Year’s Eve. Enjoy games, prizes, a ball drop and more.
- Address: AMF Lincoln Lanes, 3285 Lake Michigan Drive NW, Grand Rapids, 616-453-6348; AMF Eastbrook Lanes, 3500 Lake Eastbrook Blvd., Grand Rapids, 616-949-7650
- Times: Varies, contact your local alley and reserve your spot
- Cost: AMF Lincoln Lanes: $15.99/daytime package, $29.99/nighttime package; AMF Eastbrook Lanes: $17.99/daytime package, $33.99/nighttime package. Gratuity is not included; additional fees may apply.
Offers a daytime package for families that features two hours of unlimited bowling (shoes included), a kid-friendly buffet and New Year’s toast; plus a nighttime ball drop package, which includes four hours of unlimited bowling (shoes included), a gourmet buffet and toast. Note: Registration is required and you must have at least four members in your party. No more than 8 bowlers are allowed on a lane.
- Address: Forever Curious Children’s Museum, 202 R. Main St., Fennville
- Phone: 269-561-8494
- Times: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Cost: $5/person
This Allegan County non-profit offers hands-on exhibits for its pint-sized patrons and is ringing in the New Year with fun age-appropriate games, treats, dancing and a balloon drop.
- Address: Kentwood Fun Spot, 14 52nd St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-534-8106
- Times: 2-5 p.m.
- Cost: $10/admission and skate rental
This party will have you skating the year away to some of your favorite tunes. Pizza, pop, party favors and a balloon drop are in store, too.
- Address: Van Andel Arena, 130 Fulton St. W, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-774-4585, ext. 3049 (ask for John Hoffa)
- Times: 6 p.m.
- Cost: $17-$24
- Address: Sky Zone Grand Rapids, 3636 29th St. SE, Kentwood
- Phone: 616-920-8059
- Times: 6-8 p.m.
- Cost: $25/person
This trampoline park is gearing up for 2018 by hosting the ultimate glow-in-the-dark party at which you can jump and dance in the dark to lasers, music and black lights. You’ll also find face painting for $1, a “Foam Zone,” contests, games and more.
- Address: Grand Rapids Children’s Museum, 11 Sheldon Ave. NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-235-4726
- Times: 6-8 p.m.
- Cost: $10/members, $12/nonmembers
Make a noisemaker or a resolution wand, enjoy some yummy eats and music and check out the museum’s exhibits. It all culminates with a Cinema balloon drop at 7:30 p.m. Note: Pre-registration required.
- Address: Battle Grand Rapids Laser Tag, 4735 Lake Michigan Drive NW, Suite E, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-345-0698
- Times: 6 p.m.-12:45 a.m. or 7 p.m.-12:45 a.m.
- Cost: $35-$45
Want to drop the kids off so you can enjoy some adult fun? Then bring them for a night of high-action all-you-can-play laser tag, a kid’s toast at midnight, movies, yard games, food and more. Note: pre-registration is required. Good for kids ages 5-plus. A $1 per minute fee applies for late pick-ups.
- Address: Downtown Ludington area
- Phone: 231-845-6237
- Times: 9 p.m.-midnight
- Cost: Free/admission; fees apply for some events
Looking for a traditional ball drop? Make the trek out to Mason County to catch this annual. Features music and a beer tent for grown ups; plus fireworks, family-friendly bashes at Sandcastles Children’s Museum and he Mason County District Library and, of course, a bright and colorful ball drop.