You might think your local parks go unused during our long Michigan winters. With the exception of those places that are home to some great sledding hills, your snow-covered favorite parks might just seem like a reminder of how long you have to wait until spring arrives.
Fortunately, that’s not always the case.
Several family-friendly activities are planned over the next two months at local parks that offer a great chance for your kids to get out of the house, enjoy the fresh air and release some pent-up energy.
Here’s a look at some of the top park events we found in January and February – and of course, you can always enjoy a winter walk on one of the area’s best hiking trails.
Just one important tip: Dress for the weather!
Do you have a favorite winter park event to add to our list? Tell us in the comments section and we’ll include it on our list!
- Where: Campus Martius Park, 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- When: Times vary daily, through March 3, 2019
- Cost: $10/adults, $8/kids and seniors $5/skate rental
- Contact: 313-962-0101
Open daily, the ice skating rink at Campus Martius Park is a local favorite and fun for the whole family in the heart of Detroit.
- Where: Lake St. Clair Metropark, 31300 Metro Parkway, Harrison Township
- When: 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 4, 2019
- Cost: $4/person, $10/vehicle entry
- Contact: 586-463-4581
Kids ages 7 and up are welcome to go on a winter woodland hike to learn how different animals adapt to the changing seasons. Pre-registration required.
- Where: Huron Meadows Metropark Ski Center, 8765 Hammel Road, Brighton
- When: 8 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12- Sunday, Jan. 13, 2019
- Cost: $38-$45/person (plus a $3.50 race fee), $12/kids race (plus a $3 race fee), $10/vehicle entry
- Contact: 734-426-8211
Enjoy two days of cross-country ski races, including a kid’s race on Saturday and a freestyle competition. Registration required. All skill levels welcome.
- Where: Lake Erie Metropark, 32481 W. Jefferson, Brownstown
- When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19-Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019
- Cost: $2/person, $10/vehicle entry
- Contact: 734-379-5020
Celebrate the winter season with two days of snowsnake, atlatl throwing and other traditional outdoor fun. Plus, there’ll be indoor crafting, fly tying and musical performances.
- Where: Sterling Heights Nature Center, 42700 Utica Road, Sterling Heights
- When: 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019
- Cost: Free
- Contact: 586-446-2710
Learn about the bushy-tailed critters and how they impact their environment. Crafts and other activities included.
- Where: Burgess-Shadbush Nature Center, 4101 River Bends Drive, Shelby Township
- When: noon-3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019
- Cost: Free
- Phone: 586-323-2478
Find snow-themed games, chilly crafts and fun wintertime activities. Then, warm up by a roaring fire and enjoy some campfire treats.
- Where: Wint Nature Center, 9501 Sashabaw Road, Clarkston
- When: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019
- Cost: $12/child
- Contact: 248-625-6473
With the help of the naturalists, kids ages 9 and up will learn how to make a shelter, build a fire and find their way around a snowy wilderness. Crafts, too. Pre-registration required.
- Where: Kensington Metropark, 4570 Huron River Parkway, Milford
- When: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019
- Cost: Free/admission, $10/vehicle entry
- Contact: 248-684-8632
Learn about ice harvesting and how it helped people survive before the invention of refrigeration through demonstrations and hands-on experiences.
This post was originally published in 2015 and is updated regularly.