The Michigan Theater is known and loved in the Ann Arbor area and beyond for its full schedule of indie films and live entertainment. But it’s not just an art house for the grown-up crowd. The theater also has plenty to offer for children, too.
“We are kind of a community cultural center for Ann Arbor,” Ruth Lednicer at the Michigan Theater told Metro Parent in 2016. “We wanted to make sure we always have stuff for kids as well.”
Opened in 1928, the historic theater has two auditoriums and one of the only theater organs still regularly played in its original home. It’s a great spot to visit, even if only for a look into Ann Arbor’s history and the history of cinema.
So if you’re seeking a fun activity for your family, look no further than the Michigan Theater schedule for 2017-18. Here’s a look at the kid-friendly events planned this season. Planning further out? The next season’s schedule of family-friendly events will be released in May 2018.
Not Just For Kids Live Theater
Five live shows geared toward families are offered, each only about an hour long. These programs are a nice introduction to live theater for kids.
Michigan Theater Ann Arbor tickets for this program start at $11. All guests need a ticket (no lap children).
- 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 8: The Music of Star Wars
- 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 3: Disney’s Frozen Sing-Along
- 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 28: Dragons Love Tacos
- 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 18: Erth’s Dinosaur Zoo
- 1:30 p.m. Sunday, April 22: Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit
Toyota Family Friendly Film Series
Kids 12 and under get in for free for this series, sponsored by Toyota and the Benard L. Maas Foundation. Most shows will take place at 1:30 p.m. Sundays.
- 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 9: The Dark Crystal
- More dates TBD; check website for updates.
Find full details here.
Tips to plan ahead
- Don’t miss the concessions, including the theater’s famous popcorn with real butter.
- For parking, try one of several garages nearby including the Liberty Square Parking Structure and Maynard Parking Structure. Parking is free on Sundays.
Find more information on the daily Michigan Theater Ann Arbor schedule and what you’ll find there throughout 2017-18 on the theater’s website at michtheater.org.
This post was originally published in 2016 and is updated regularly.