Food can really bring a family together. Just think of all the ways cuisine can provide opportunity for bonding time. Trying new recipes, digging in the recipe box for an old family favorite, or whipping together a special treat to share all become memories to cherish.
So when you’re looking to spice up family dinner, teach the kids a thing or two about the kitchen, or do something unique with your brood, consider cooking classes. In metro Detroit and Ann Arbor, cooking classes – including kids culinary classes – are available to you. Browse our list below!
Know of any other cooking lessons for kids and families here in southeast Michigan and beyond? Leave us a comment.
- Address: 3723 Plaza Drive, Ann Arbor
- Contact: 734-761-7255
- Cost: Adults: varies by class. Family classes: $75/adult, $25/child (ratio of 2 children per parent, children ages 7-plus).
Starting as young as 7 with no cap on maximum age, everyone in the family can get involved! Get hands-on in a space that’s meant for learning, cooking and baking everything from bread to brownies and pizzas to pastries. The Zingerman’s crew does the measuring and cleaning up, so all that’s left to do is have fun. Be sure to check the calendar online of upcoming classes, which you can browse by date, name or food. Call ahead to learn how your teen 13-16 can join an adult in class for 50 percent off regular price. Note: Must call to register for family classes, and space is limited.
- Address: 2934 Russell St., Detroit
- Contact: 313-833-9300
- Cost: Varies by class
Search for seasonal cooking and nutrition lessons for all levels of chefs and dietary needs throughout the year.
- Address: 11 Mile and Drake Roads, Farmington Hills
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost: Varies by class
Offers specialized classes on ethnic cuisine for families, kid and adults.
- Address: Kerrytown Market & Shops, 407 N. Fifth Ave., second floor, Ann Arbor
- Contact: 734-213-1110
- Cost: $55/tow-hour demonstration class, $65/two-hour interactive class
Find demonstration, technique and interactive classes at this Washtenaw County shop. Be sure to check the schedule on the website to see what’s coming up!
- Address: Gleaners Community Food Bank, 2131 Beaufait, Detroit
- Contact: 313-923-3535 ext. 256
- Cost: Check ahead
This pop-up course offers six specialized curricula for adults, teens, families and parents and others that focus on nutrition on a budget. Each classes includes hands-on meal prep, basic nutrition and food safety. Adult participants also receive groceries with each class.
- Address: 6777 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
- Contact: 248-325-3890 or email@example.com
- Cost: $20/person, $30/two people
Get to the hospital’s Demonstration Kitchen, where adults can take their own lessons, or where kids can partake in the DK Kids’ cooking programs. The whole idea is to encourage healthy habits and lifestyle, which includes making better food choices. Schools can also do custom field trips. Check the online calendar for details on various offerings.
- Address: Testa Barra, 48824 Romeo Plank Road, Macomb
- Contact: 586-416-3500 or 586-434-0100
- Cost: $60/person, $110/two people
Want to learn how to make finger-licking seafood? How about farm fresh meals? This local eatery offers up lessons on how to cook up something delicious! Classes run 6:30-8:30 p.m. and make sure you register early.
- Address: Holiday Market, 1203 S. Main St., Royal Oak
- Contact: 248-543-4390
- Cost: Starts at $69.99/person
This cooking school will have you creating appetizing dishes in no time. Reserve a space to bake and cook various plates and desserts – or schedule a private event!
- Address: Private in-home classes, serving metro Detroit
- Contact: 248-808-3174 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Costs: Varies, contact for details. Kids birthdays: $375 for up to 10 kids, $30/each additional child.
Nanny’s Kitchen is open for you! It’s a great place for parties, and each child can decorate their own aprons and cakes. She also hosts girls’ nights, so make your reservations.
- Address: 118 W. Third St., Rochester
- Contact: 248-219-5752
- Costs: $234-plus
This spot’s after school “Rascals” program will introduce kids 7-13 to the basics of cooking fall meals, world appetizers, hors d’oeuvres and more. Look for day camps and summer sessions, too.
- Address: Westminster Presbyterian Church, 1500 Scio Church Road, Ann Arbor
- Contact: 734-474-1006
- Cost: $55-plus
This program offers classes that cover seasonal dishes and garnishing for kids 8-plus and bread, pasta and dessert lessons for teens. All courses are under the guidance of registered dietitian, Lilian Anderson. Watch out for private lessons for college kids, too.
- Ann Arbor: Arbor Hills, 3050 Washtenaw Ave., Suite 109; 734-531-0304
- Novi: Twelve Oaks Mall, 27500 Novi Road; 248-319-0021
- Troy: Somerset Mall, 2801 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 264; 248-283-1051
- Cost: Varies by class; contact your local store for details
Be sure to reserve a space at Sur La Table’s classes. Learn how to make everything from soups and desserts to cultural fare. Look for classes specifically for families, too.
- Address: The Omelette and Waffle Cafe, 18900 Northville Road, Northville
- Contact: 248-880-9749 or email@example.com
- Cost: $60/person (unless otherwise noted)
Mary Spencer is your culinary instructor here. She and her assistants walk adult students through meals, ranging in themes based around ingredients, dishes or season. Classes run 6:30-8:45 p.m. and are in a demonstration format.
- Address: Pop-up classes in West Bloomfield, Ferndale and Southfield
- Contact: 248-564-3302 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost: Varies by class
West Bloomfield mom Cora Cowles focuses on teaching kids 5-10 the techniques, tools and safety measures a responsible cook uses in the kitchen. Look for a brick-and-mortar store soon.
- Ann Arbor: 808 Briarwood Circle; 734-665-1500
- Novi: Twelve Oaks Mall, 27710B Novi Road; 248-596-1036
- Rochester Hills: 352 N. Adams Road; 248-375-5891
- Troy: Somerset Collection, 2801 W. Big Beaver Road; 248-637-0672
- Cost: Prices vary by location; call local store for details
Hour-long classes will introduce you to cooking techniques that will help in diversifying your kitchen knowledge. Call your local Williams-Sonoma store for details.
- Address: 26091 Trowbridge, Inkster
- Contact: 313-551-3994
- Cost: $45/child, $50/adult
This spot offers cooking courses for both kids and adults throughout the year. Adults will learn a variety of dishes that they will eat at the end of class but can re-make at home while kids get a breakdown of culinary basics. Kids are given a sticker to decorate a recycled jar to use to collect change for Zaman’s “food-insecure” clients.
This post was originally published in 2015 and is updated regularly.