For a handy treat in the summer, what about having your kids make pretzel s’mores? And the best part – no campfire required!
There are just four ingredients to this dessert that comes together quickly. Plus, it’s easy enough that you can explain how to put these together, give your kids the ingredients and then let them go to work.
Ready for the shopping list? One bag big marshmallows, one box graham crackers, one bag pretzel sticks and of course, melting chocolate. That’s it.
Help your child head to the top of the class this year..
Ace it with your FREE School Success Guide
Once your have everything together, put one of your kids in charge of crushing the graham crackers (my middle daughter loved this task!). Then melt one cup of chocolate pieces in the microwave. I separated it out into two bowls so that I wouldn’t hear complaints about somebody taking all the chocolate. Although with three kids, and two bowls, there were still some claims of chocolate swiping.
Before you dip the marshmallows into the chocolate, you’ll want to make sure it’s cool. If your chocolate is too hot, the marshmallows will melt into it, instead of getting a nice coating. Test the temperature by dipping a spoon in, and then dip your finger on the chocolate. As long as it’s lukewarm, you’re good to go.
Now for the fun part – dip and roll! Set the finished marshmallows on waxed paper until they set. It takes about 10 minutes and makes 30 treats.
- 1 bag big marshmallows
- 1 sleeve graham crackers (or 1 cup crushed)
- 30 pretzel sticks
- 1 cup melting chocolate
- Place the chocolate in a glass, microwave-safe bowl and heat on medium power for one minute and 30 seconds (microwave temperatures may vary).
- Stir the chocolate until smooth.
- Place pretzels into the marshmallows.
- Crush the graham crackers to make one cup, then place in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the marshmallows one at a time into the chocolate, then the graham crackers crumbs.
- Place on waxed paper to set.