The Fourth of July has three big F’s: fireworks, family and, of course, food! We asked Metro Parent readers to submit their treasured Fourth of July recipes for a chance to win $50!
Try these finalists out during the holiday weekend – and visit the Metro Parent Facebook page to vote for your favorite. Simply write "Strawberries," "Salad" or "Dip" on our wall. The one with the most votes will score the cash!
Check back on the Metro Parent Facebook wall the morning of Tuesday, July 5, 2011, when we’ll announce the winner. And the contenders are …
Red, White and Blue Strawberries
Submitted by Jenine Sparks Carey
1 pint fresh strawberries (approximately 12 oz.)
4 oz. white chocolate
Blue sanding sugar
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Place blue sanding sugar into a small bowl.
- In a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, melt white chocolate in the microwave until it’s an even consistency. Heat it in 45- or 60-second intervals, stirring each time.
- Dip strawberries 2/3 of the way into the chocolate. Then, dip the tips into the blue sprinkles (about 1/3 of way) and place on wax paper.
- Let strawberries set at room temperature or refrigerate, if necessary.
Family Favorite Potato Salad
Submitted by Tracy Hall
1 lb. potatoes, peeled, boiled, drained and smashed
1/2 cup onion, celery and bell pepper
3 hard-boiled eggs: cut and dice two; save one to top finished potato salad
1 apple*, peeled and diced
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup of mustard
1/2 cup sweet relish
Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- Top with remaining egg and sprinkle with paprika for garnish.
- Chill at least 1 hour before eating.
*"The apple is my secret ingredient!" Hall says.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Submitted by Jennifer Martini-Wackler
10-12 oz. cooked chicken, shredded (great way to use up leftover rotisserie)
4 – 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups ranch dressing
1 cup Frank’s RedHot
1/3 packet taco seasoning
3 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Over medium heat, warm chicken and Frank’s RedHot in a skillet until heated through.
- Combine cream cheese, ranch and taco seasoning in a bowl.
- Add heated chicken mixture and half the cheese, then mix.
- Transfer ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and cover slow cooker.
- Heat on low/warm setting until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with tortilla chips and celery sticks.
Note: "This amount feeds a crowd, so it’s great for potlucks," Martini-Wackler says.