So long cupcakes and cookies; hello French macaroons! These miniature stuffed-sandwich cookies are taking over the pastry market. They make great treats for girly-girl birthday parties, mom gatherings – or just dessert for the family.
French macaroons are just as visually appealing as they are appetizing. The bright colors make them an eye catcher. And the sweet cream in between the crispy cookies make them a sweet-tooth pleaser. Kids will love being able to help make the colorful cakes and putting the sandwiches together, too!
These miniature stuffed-sandwich cookies are taking over the pastry market. They make great treats for girly-girl birthday parties, mom gatherings – or just dessert for the family. Try this easy Food Network recipe for the macaroons and butter cream filling.
Ingredients for macaroons:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 7/8 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 drops food coloring
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients for butter cream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. hot water
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions for macaroons:
- Preheat over to 300 degrees F.
- Stir together the confectioners’ sugar and almond flour and sift it through a tammie or open mesh strainer.
- In a mixer, whip the whites until frothy. Add the sugar and food coloring and whip until stiff.
- Add 1/3 of the almost mixture and fold part way in. Add another 1/3 and fold partway in.
- Add final 1/3 and fold in leaving a few specks of egg whites (it will look like a deflated marshmallow).
- Place a pastry bag, with a close pin holding it shut, in a tall, round container. Fold the edge over the rim of the container to fill it easily.
- Pipe dots of meringue at each corner to stick down some parchment paper on a sheet pan.
- Pipe rows of kisses 1-inch each (size of a quarter) one half inch apart.
- Bake about 17 minutes until very light brown. If necessary, pour 1/4 cup water under the parchment paper to both ends of the sheet to steam them loose. Let cool and peel off.
Directions for butter cream:
- In a mixer, whip the butter very well, scraping the bowl often until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and mix on low.
- Drizzle in instant coffee and vanilla with the hot water.
- Chill until ready to use, and then bring to room temperature.
- Pipe macaroons with buttercream and make little sandwiches.
- Keep in a covered box chilled.