Winter in southeast Michigan calls for chilly treats, too! And what better way to harness some cool flavor than with a hometown dairy treat? Hudsonville Creamery & Ice Cream, Inc., the state’s largest manufacturer of branded ice cream, has roots dating back to 1895 and now calls Holland, Mich. its home. Its hallmarks are local ingredients (Traverse City area cherries, fudge from Northville, up-north blueberries and more) – and new mixes to celebrate the seasons.
In the cooler 2012 months, Hudsonville released many limited edition choices. The Michigan-made company shared a few quick and simple dessert recipes with MetroParent.com featuring three: Peppermint Stick (sweet peppermint candy in vanilla) and Lake Affection (a “Lake Michigan” blue mint swirled with “snowy” vanilla) for winter – and fall fave Seaside Caramel (chocolate-covered salted caramels in vanilla with a salted caramel ribbon).
Brownie-Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Pie
- One package brownie mix
- Hudsonville Peppermint Stick ice cream
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Cool Whip
- Prepare brownie mix according to package. Spread the mix evenly in a greased nine-inch pie plate.
- Bake the brownies at 350 F for 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the brownie to cool completely.
- Fill the remaining space on top of the brownie with a thick layer of Hudsonville Peppermint Stick ice cream. (Note: can substitute with a vanilla ice cream that has peppermint chunks or flavoring)
- Decorate top of ice cream with chocolate sprinkles and Cool Whip. Store in freezer until ready to serve.
Seaside Caramel Gingerbread Men
- One package gingerbread cookie dough
- Hudsonville Seaside Caramel ice cream
- Roll out gingerbread cookie dough.
- Cut out gingerbread men-shaped cookies.
- Bake the cookies at 350 F for seven to 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Spread a layer of softened Hudsonville Seaside Caramel ice cream on top of a gingerbread man cookie; sandwich another gingerbread man cookie on top of the ice cream. (Note: can substitute with a vanilla ice cream that has caramel and chocolate chunks)
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to set in the freezer for three hours.
Lake Affection Pops
- Hudsonville Lake Affection ice cream
- Coconut flakes
- Small chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles
- Using a small ice cream scoop, shape Hudsonville Lake Affection ice cream into individual serving size balls. (Note: can substitute with mint-vanilla ice cream)
- Place on a plate in the freezer for an hour to harden.
- Roll the frozen ice cream balls in coconut flakes, small chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles.
- Store in freezer until ready to serve.
This post was originally published in 2012 and is updated regularly.