Prep Time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes soaking
Number of servings: 4
- 1 14-oz. cooked sausage package (Hillshire Farms smoked or kielbasa works well)
- 1 large onion
- 2 peppers, red, green, yellow
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (optional)
- Bamboo skewers (usually around 9 inches long)
- Soak 10-15 skewers in water for 30 minutes before adding the meat and vegetables and to prevent burning.
- Cut the sausage into 3/4″ chunks; cut the onions and peppers into 3/4″ pieces, too.
- Alternate the onions, pepper and sausage slices on each skewer, being careful not to overcrowd (which makes it cook unevenly) and to leave enough room on the end so that you can flip the skewer as it cooks.
- Preheat your grill or ready your oven broiler.
- Thin the barbecue sauce with 1/2 Tbsp. water and brush the sauce over the skewers once or twice while they’re cooking.
- Cook the skewers 6 inches from the heat source on your broiler or with indirect heat on your grill for about 2-3 minutes turning at least once (maybe twice) to ensure all sides are heated through.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.