Make a stop at one of these local sugar dispensaries and watch your kids’ eyes light up as they explore a place they may have thought only existed in their dreams. Bon appétit!
- Address: 6698 Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield Township
- Phone: 248-851-4450
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Chocolate, candy, cookie and nut trays are offered for personal or corporate gifts, and you’ll also find pastry trays, Michigan specialty baskets, fresh-dipped strawberries and more.
- Address: 1952 S. Industrial Highway, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-665-8884
- Hours: 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
This locally-owned bulk food store has candies for sale including Jordan almonds and chocolates but also has a wide selection of tea, coffee, herbs, flours, grains, pastas, snacks, nuts, dried fruits and more.
- Address: 50935 Washington St., New Baltimore
- Phone: 586-648-7189
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
This unique store offers a wide selection of candy along with candles, jewelry, handmade items, gifts and more.
- Address: 29961 Gratiot Ave., Roseville
- Phone: 586-226-4268
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday
In addition to party rentals, this store specializes in unique candy baskets, candy centerpieces and favors, candy buffets, bulk candy and nostalgic candy.
- Address: 26300 Michigan Ave., Inkster
- Phone: 313-565-2505
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
You’ll find handmade chocolates like nut clusters, turtles, chocolate-covered cherries and more at this local favorite.
- Address: 23151 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-561-5011
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Inside Westborn Mall, this shop has many bulk candy items to choose from whether you want to buy just a pinch or several pounds for a candy buffet. You’ll also find nuts, grains, spices, chips, drinks and more.
- Address: 135 N. Rochester Road, Clawson
- Phone: 248-597-1051
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
This candy wonderland features thousands of candy items including bulk candies, vintage candy, sweet and sour candy, chocolates and even candy- or chocolate-covered insects. Sugar-free candies available, too. Kids will have fun using the mini shopping carts.
- Address: 20651 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Woods
- Phone: 313-885-4524
- Hours: Closed in summer, opens again on Oct. 1-April 30. Hours October 2018-April 2019: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
The shop offers elan, which is a unique candy that combines fresh pecan halves with English toffee. Only available October through April, each batch of elan is handmade and dipped in either milk or dark chocolate.
- Address: 417 S. Washington Ave., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-398-0001
- Hours: Varies by season. Summer hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Truffles and other handmade chocolates are the specialty here. Special seasonal items are available for holidays and kids will love the wide variety of animal and other unique-shaped chocolates.
- Address: 15928 Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-272-2218
- Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Also known as Mr. Leddy’s Candy Store, Janco has been open since 1938 and offers candy, snacks and beverages. The store offers candy on a wholesale basis and is also open to the public.
- Address: 896 W. Ann Arbor Trail, Plymouth
- Phone: 734-453-0480
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
For more than 50 years, Kemnitz has offered a wide range of chocolates including award-winning cherry cordials and a large variety of candies. The shop focuses on customer service and makes all products with fresh, hand-selected ingredients. Turning 65 this year.
- Address: 107 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor; 298 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-769-7759 (Ann Arbor), 734-404-6719 (Plymouth)
- Hours: Hours change seasonally; call for current hours
Open since 1983, this chocolate shop offers hand-paddled fudge, many types of handmade chocolates, caramel apples and corns, brittle and homemade ice cream.
- Address: 44225 W. 12 Mile Road, Suite C104, Novi
- Phone: 248-308-2200
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday
With 500 different soda flavors, 80 different taffy flavors and 100 types of candy from all over the world and all eras, there’s sure to be something for everyone.
- Address: 15020 E. Nine Mile Road, Eastpointe
- Phone: 586-772-1076
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. Sunday
This old-fashioned candy shop carries bulk candy, chocolates, novelty and fun candy, nuts and dried fruit and 52 flavors of Ashby’s Ice Cream.
- Address: 4642 Elizabeth Lake Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-682-5640
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Homemade chocolate and sweets include fudge, caramel apples, saltwater taffy, brittle, nonpareils, clusters and more. The family-owned business has been open since 1948.
- Address: Locations throughout southeast Michigan (plus Mackinac Island)
- Phone: 800-651-7263
- Hours: Vary by location
Stop in for a cream puff with Sander’s famous fudge topping or try the cherry cordials, caramels, nut clusters or toffee.
- Address: 3233 W. 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-398-7933
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
This chocolate company specializes in making chocolates the old-fashioned way using “family secrets” that were started by Mr. Sydney Bogg in 1936. Items include corns, brittles, nuts, turtles, bark, nonpareils and more.
- Address: Great Lakes Crossing Outlets, 4132 Baldwin Road, Suite 405, Auburn Hills; Somerset Collection, 2800 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite V-348, Troy
- Phone: 248-454-1033 (Auburn Hills); 248-816-0073 (Troy)
- Hours: Vary by location; check mall hours
Find a wealth of candies here including bulk options, a variety of gummy candy, novelty candy, sour candy, rock candy, retro candy, liquid candy, nuts, natural and organic candy – you name it!
- Address: 215 N. Old Woodward Ave., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-792-2410
- Hours: Hours change seasonally; call to confirm. Opens daily at noon and closes between 5 and 9 p.m.
This downtown Birmingham shop is bursting with bulk candy and wrapped candy, candy cakes, candy tables and more.
- Address: 22635 Northline Road, Taylor
- Phone: 734-287-2855
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
From Airheads to Zotz and everything in between, this family-owned store features new candies of all kinds and old childhood favorites.
- Address: 23147 Woodward Ave., Ferndale; 122 W. Michigan Ave., Ypsilanti
- Phone: 248-556-5084 (Ferndale), 734-483-2291 (Ypsilanti)
- Hours: Both locations: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Both locations offer a large selection of wrapped and unwrapped bulk candy, plus novelty, nostalgic and traditional candies. You can also find jumbo peanut butter cups, chocolate covered cherries, chocolate covered pretzels and more chocolates in addition to a selection of gifts, books and other items.
This post was originally published in 2015 is updated regularly.