Does it seem like your kid is constantly outgrowing his or her clothes? It’s probably reality. Children grow like weeds, and taking a trip to the mall every time they need something new can get expensive. That’s where a resale or consignment shop steps in. These stores take in or buy gently used clothing and sell those garments at greatly reduced costs – and many of them offer high-end or brand-name options.
Here, we’ve compiled a list of 14 top kids resale shops in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor. Find one near you and take your kiddo on a bargain shopping spree. Note: Hours may change seasonally, so it’s best to call or check ahead for the latest.
And if you’re constantly looking for new finds, don’t forget to check out our weekly listing of mom-to-mom sales in southeast Michigan.
- Address: 153 E. Main St., Northville
- Phone: 248-347-2229
- Hours: Dec. 16-March 17: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday. March 18-Dec. 15: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
This one-stop shop has been in business for over 20 years and sells gently used clothes for newborns to teens in brands like Gap, Ralph Lauren and more. There’s baby furniture, equipment, accessories, toys and books, too.
- Address: 44915 Hayes Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-532-8280
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, noon-4 p.m. Sunday
This national resale chain carries beloved baby and children’s brands like Gap, Janie & Jack, Baby Bjorn, Melissa & Doug, Ralph Lauren and more.
- Address: 10820 W. Nine Mile Road, Oak Park
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
This new shop offers gently-used and new children’s clothing and shoes; plus toys, furniture and other baby gear.
- Address: 2521 Jackson Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-622-0224
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
This spot stocks gently used and new kids’ clothing, equipment, toys, accessories and more up to size 16 for girls and 18 for boys. Plus, a portion of proceeds are donated to various autism-related organizations.
- Address: 50432 Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-532-8585
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday (may vary by season)
Choose from a wide variety of apparel for newborns to kids size 10. Plus toys and baby items in an organized, clean environment for a sweet shopping experience.
- Address: 22882 Orchard Lake Road, Farmington
- Phone: 248-282-9187
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
Moms find adorable maternity and kids clothing (newborn to 7 years), accessories, toys and electronics. Change your mind? This shop offers a three-day exchange period for your convenience and rentals, too.
- Address: 4048 Grange Hall Road, Holly
- Phone: 248-328-1130
- Hours: 5-8 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, noon-7 p.m. Saturday, closed Wednesday and Sunday.
Find clothing for men, women and kids, along with lots of fun extras like costumes and American Girl and Bitty Baby doll clothes, all at great bargains. Choices range from casual to dressy.
- Ann Arbor: 4559 Washtenaw Ave., 734-971-6822; 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Canton: 1759 N. Canton Center Road, 734-459-6669; 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
- Novi: 41810 W. 10 Mile Road, 248-349-2090; 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
- Southfield, 29217 Southfield Road, 248-357-3266; 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
- Troy: 6029 Rochester Road, 248-828-7474; 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
Visit one of the state’s many locations for a huge selection of gently-used furniture, apparel, toys and decorations for infants and kids. Inventory expands daily, so visit frequently for new finds. Look for locations in Battle Creek, Brighton, Jackson, Lansing, Monroe, Okemos, Portage, Saginaw, Traverse City, Walker and Wyoming.
- Allen Park: 23021 Outer Drive, 313-278-2300; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
- Ann Arbor: 860 W. Eisenhower Parkway, 734-769-8500; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon- 6 p.m. Sunday
- Canton: 44720 Ford Road, 734-459-5029; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday
- Madison Heights: 32105 John R. Road, 248-585-9550; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday
- Novi: 43283 Crescent Blvd., 248-374-8075; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday
- Rochester Hills: 3104 Walton Blvd., 248-375-8838;10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
- St. Clair Shores: 24090 Harper Ave., 586-298-6750;10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
- Utica: 13287 Hall Road, 586- 997-5001; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
Stock up on the latest styles and popular brands that teens and tweens adore. Find tags from American Eagle, Hollister, Forever 21, Wet Seal and PINK – all at discounted prices you’ll love. More locations in Battle Creek, Brighton, East Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Jackson, Muskegon, Portage, Saginaw and Traverse City.
- Clawson: 126 E. 14 Mile Road, 248-589-0500; noon-5 p.m. Sunday-Monday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday
- Pleasant Ridge: 23700 Woodward Ave., 248-414-7440; 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon- 5 p.m. Sunday
These shops both take current, vintage and retro styles of men and women’s clothing, but you’ll find all the maternity and kid’s sizes at the Clawson location.
- Address: 31360 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-359-2644
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
Formerly Another Child Children’s and Maternity Quality Resale, this shop offers vintage finds and kid’s clothing for all ages.
- Eastpointe: 18859 E. Nine Mile Road, 586-498-5151; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
- Grosse Pointe Woods: 20467 Mack Ave., 313-372-5151; 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
- St. Clair Shores: 31252 Harper Ave., 586-294-5151; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
Peruse this shop for gently used clothing, baby equipment, costume jewelry, sporting gear, camping equipment and more.
- Address: 23053 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-359-2996
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday
Clothing bought/sold is sized premie-16. Plus games, toys, furniture equipment.
- Address: 433 S. Main St., Rochester
- Phone: 248-656-1937
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
The store boasts clothing and accessories for infants and toddlers, plus room decor, baby gear, games and movies. Prices are low and inventory changes daily. Consignments by appointment only.
Tot not quite ready for a big kid shop? See out list of baby stores in metro Detroit for tinier options.
This post is updated regularly.