Need a pick me up? Seek repose from a busy schedule, and swing into one of southeast Michigan’s many indie coffee shops for a personalized touch on your favorite brews. While Starbucks’ neon signs may shine brightest, independent cafés are staffed by rock-star baristas who know how to please your palate with their artisan concoctions and designs. So treat yourself, and checkout this roundup of some of the area’s coolest independent coffee shops, from Ann Arbor coffee shops to coffee shops in Detroit and beyond.
Have a favorite independent coffee shop you’d like to see added to the list? Leave us a note in the comments section and share why it’s your favorite.
- Address: 31 N. Saginaw St., Pontiac
- Phone: 248-499-7427
- Hours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Opened by a veteran chef in the historic Indian Hill building last year, you can now get your cappuccinos, espressos and macchiato in downtown Pontiac. The menu boasts a wide range of teas, sandwiches, slices of pie and gelato to sate a sweet tooth.
- Address: 19180 Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-879-1102
- Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday
Come for the coffee, but stay for the open mic nights Tuesday evenings, yoga on Wednesday mornings, and the art for sale. Enjoy coffee from Chazzano Coffee Roasters, tea from Eli Tea, and bagels from Detroit Institute of Bagels.
- Address: 1401 Vermont St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-355-4040
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
They source, roast and brew tasty coffee. The minimalist shop specializes in espresso beverages and drip drinks. Ponyride, a cooperative workspace for entrepreneurs is right upstairs, while parking is relatively plentiful and free.
- Address: 2124 Michigan Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-808-0351
- Hours: 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday
This hip joint in Detroit’s historic Corktown neighborhood serves coffee from roasters across the country. Savor in-house baked treats and fresh sandwiches made with organic, natural ingredients.
- Address: 401 S. Main St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-397-8036
- Hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Swig a cold brew with a frothy finish (think of a stout beer texture, but with coffee!). Find breakfast and lunch, made to order, and handcrafted smoothies too.
- Address: 439 S. Main St., Rochester
- Phone: 248-601-1411
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 106 S. Main St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-586-9602
- Hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Featuring espressos and an impressive selection of teas and specialty drinks – there’s a cup here to sate any thirst. And don’t neglect their baked sweets.
- Address: 3203 Biddle Ave., Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-530-1221
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays
Swing by for a delicious cappuccino or your favorite coffee drink, or enjoy French and Italian sodas, a waffle and oatmeal bar, salads and sandwiches, hot dogs and more. Find non-dairy milk options and gluten-free cookies, too.
- Address: 7025 E. Michigan Ave., Suite M, Saline
- Phone: 734-681-0078
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Step into this cozy, family-owned café to snag a French press coffee and a baked goodie. Check out their breakfast offerings for on the go, and find lunch choices for the kids.
- Address: 2287 Holbrook St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-319-8766
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Housed in a building constructed by two Polish immigrants in 1923, the building has since been restored to its original charm. Stop in to taste a blended brew, sandwich or Sunday bagel.
- Address: 2990 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit
- Phone: 313-285-8152
- Hours: 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, and open during events in New Center Park
Swing by for bold, Hispanic-infused flavors. Try the Mexican Mocha or add chipotle for a spicy Don Bigote. The bocadillos (sandwiches) are freshly made, and if you’re thinking a specialty drink, you can’t go wrong with a fruit smoothie, milkshake, or their award-winning hot chocolate.
- Address: 23415 Greater Mack Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-773-2233
- Hours: Summer: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Friday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday. Winter: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday.
Stop in for smoothies and specialty coffee drinks. Lounge out on the patio during the summer, and peruse the full-service menu, featuring soups, salads, gelato, and sandwiches, made fresh.
- Address: 24394 Crocker Blvd., Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-477-1200
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Find out how Che Cosa has pleased customers’ palates for more than 16 years. During the autumn months, get your pumpkin lattes and fresh cider mill donuts. Caramel apple lattes are a year-round treat, and cold brews help you beat the heat during the summer.
- Address: 6623 Allen Road, Allen Park
- Phone: 313-383-7510
- Hours: Noon-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 4-10 p.m. Sunday
Plop down into a lounge chair at this downriver coffeehouse that serves specialties like “dharma bum” tea (that’s black tea with steamed milk and almond flavor) and seasonal apple cider. And with syrups galore, there’s no shortage of gingerbread, banana nut, brown sugar lattes and more.
- Address: 14409 E. Jefferson Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 703-717-1514
- Hours: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
Good news! This coffee shop just got a new oven, which means fresh and flaky slices of pie to kick-off that autumn cheer. Find other vegan and gluten-free goodies. And mix sweet and savory with a hearty coffee to curb that sugar high.
- Address: 19156 E. 10 Mile Road, Eastpointe
- Phone: 586-362-8683
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday
Take a break at this café where the folks roast the beans and bake their own pastries. Find non-caffeinated beverages and cozy teas too.
- Address: 16 Nickels Arcade, a pedestrian walkway from State Street to Maynard Street between Liberty and Williams streets, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-222-0579
- Hours: 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Since 2009, this coffee house has been serving coffee and sweet bites in Nickels Arcade, a pedestrian walkway running from State Street to Maynard.
- Address: 1472 S. Lapeer Road, Lake Orion
- Phone: 248-690-7607
- Hours: 6 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday
Swing by and energize with a frozen mocha or a hot latte. Features a pour-over coffee bar, drip coffee, hot teas and more. Bonus: Starting in the fall, students get $1 off any drink on Wednesdays.
- Address: 1214 Griswold St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-338-3515
- Hours: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 336 S. Main St., Rochester
- Phone: 248-453-5239
- Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Feel like you’re living for Friday? Many Detroiters find this coffee shop a pleasant respite from the day-to-day grind. With a new location in Detroit, you can treat yourself to a pour-over coffee, an espresso, dessert or pastry right downtown.
- Address: 32644 Franklin Road, Franklin
- Phone: 248-562-7708
- Hours: Summer: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday; Fall (starts day after Labor Day): 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday; Winter: Hours to be determined, starting in December.
Find this quaint business in a converted barn in downtown Franklin Village. Sit down for a cup of organic, fair trade Farmhouse coffee, or if you’re looking to beat the heat, a scoop or two of ice cream from the local Guernsey Farms.
- Address: 15 E. Kirby St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-871-0500
- Hours: 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Sunday
Freshly brewed with Chazzano’s roasted organic coffee – find espressos, French-pressed coffee, and mochas mixed with a melted truffle of your choice. More of a tea drinker? They have Mighty Leaf tea, French macarons, and light lunches too.
- Address: 4135 Maple Road, Bloomfield Hills
- Phone: 248-855-9091
- Hours: 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 3965 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-831-9627
- Hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-midnight Friday, 9 a.m.-midnight Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Aside from roasting their own coffee, Great Lakes serves traditional Italian coffee drinks, plus specialty drinks. You can get pour over coffees or try one of their homemade flavored syrups.
- Address: 50927 Hayes Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-991-6911
- Hours: 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, noon-4 p.m. Saturday
Get frisky for fall at this coffee house with pumpkin spice lattes and hot caramel apple cider. But enjoy a variety of coffee drinks, sandwiches, soups and desserts year-round.
- Address: 165 W. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale
- Phone: 248-542-2438
- Hours: 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Selling caffeinated brews since 1999, this café serves hot and cold drinks, grilled paninis and morning bagel sandwiches. Find non-dairy milks, as well as vegan and gluten-free snack items too.
- Address: 8074 Main St., Dexter
- Phone: 734-253-2344
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Sunday
The beverage menu features organic fair-trade coffee, soy and chai lattes, and loose-leaf teas. You can also find seasonal gluten-free and vegan products.
- Address: 505 E. Liberty St., Suite 300, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-827-2233
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Stop by to sip a pour-over coffee or one of many of an impressive selection of teas. Tasty sweets are courtesy of Tasty Bakery and Cecilia’s Pastries.
- Address: 152 Barker Road, Whitmore Lake
- Phone: 734-449-9409
- Hours: 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday
Find specialty lattes that pack a flavorful punch, like the Funky Monkey brewed with Ghiradelli chocolate, hints of coconut and banana, or the Cherry Vanilla Latte. Hungry? Seasonal goodies are baked daily. Check out Wednesday Open Mic Nights.
- Address: 884 Penniman Ave., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-454-0178
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-midnight Friday, 7 a.m.-midnight Saturday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Grab a house mug of brewed goodness at this coffee joint. Sip it while lounging in a comfy chair in one of the many sitting rooms or out on the patio. Nothing goes better with a cup o’ Joe than made-to-order crepes, but you can choose among vegan and gluten-free cookies to get your sweet fix too. Check their calendar online for a list of upcoming live music performances.
- Address: 660 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-782-4291
- Hours: 6 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday
The Roasting Plant boasts sourcing “the freshest premium crops of green coffee,” so customers can taste clean brews. Here, coffee fanatics can find the flavors of the world from destinations like Guatemala, Indonesia, Central America and Africa, and more.
- Address: 1155 Rosewood St., Ann Arbor; 117 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-222-9202 (Rosewood Street); 734-369-2494 (Liberty Street)
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday; 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (temporary hours for Liberty Street location)
Committed to the local economy, RoosRoast roasts its own beans to concoct mean brews. Roos signature drinks include Ice Bomb (a 24-hour cold brewed coffee), Ancho Pancho Spicy Mocha (chocolate and espresso mixed with a spicy blend of peppers), Feverbuster (which is rooibos tea, apple cider vinegar, honey and a blend of dried peppers), and more.
- Address: 29200 Hoover Road, Warren
- Phone: 586-576-0317
- Hours: 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 5-11 p.m. Sunday
This coffee shop, featuring an espresso bar, also has light lunch items, like sandwiches and salads. Check in regularly to see new menu items and sit in on open mic nights.
- Address: 402 S. Lafayette Ave., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-268-9100
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
This “co-working space” features a place where professionals can buckle down and a full coffee menu. Chocked with conference rooms, lockers, power outlets galore, and all the amenities a small business might need, this is a hotspot for professionals looking to get caffeinated. Bonus: a portion of the proceeds is donated to charity. Serves up coffee from Water Street Coffee Roaster in Kalamazoo. Note: Can work in the open café, but need reservations for private offices and training rooms, available for rent by the hour.
- Address: 204 S. Fourth Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-707-1327
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday
Voted “Best Coffee Shop in Washtenaw County” by readers of The Ann Arbor News last year. This espresso bar, above bookstore Literati Bookstore, has a prized recipe for success. Snag a book, go upstairs, and sip your brew beside a window that peers out on downtown Ann Arbor.
- Address: 8025 Agnes St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-458-8761
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 220 W. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale
- Phone: 718-964-3729
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
Snag a cup of java brewed from Stumptown Coffee Roasters’ beans and Guernsey Farms Dairy milk at the coffee bar. Find rotating roasters and Pinwheel pastries on the West Village menu. The Ferndale location has perfected a house-made nitro cold brew and Pinwheel treats.
- Address: 317 W. Cross St., Ypsilanti
- Phone: 734-484-4684
- Hours: 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Savor in-house roasted coffee, with specialty drinks like espresso, lattes and loose-leaf teas. Got the munchies? Choose among a variety of bagel sandwiches and vegan cookies. As a participant in Ypsilanti First Fridays, the cafe hosts local bands and artists on the first Friday of the month.
- Address: 150 N. Center St., Northville
- Phone: 248-305-8629
- Hours: 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Featuring locally roasted coffee and Guernsey Dairy milk, this coffee bar is a favorite in downtown Northville. Choose among cappuccinos, lattes, and espresso, sizable grilled sandwiches on Zingerman’s bread, and a sweet slice of pie.
- Address: 200 Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-496-1010
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
Grab your chai and green tea lattes here. Popular espressos include the Pure Evil Latte with amaretto and cherry, and the Green Fairie Latte with pistachio and white chocolate. Craving something purely sweet? The Mexican Hot Chocolate has hints of banana and coconut.
- Address: 127 S. Saginaw St., Holly
- Phone: 248-787-0170
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
A micro roaster where small batches of 100 percent Arabica coffee beans are roasted for high-quality taste. Find whole beans from regions around the world, or savor a hot cup of tea or a hand-blended hot chocolate.
- Address: 101 Main St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-4226
- Hours: Fall/Winter: 6 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday; Spring/Summer: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
This cozy French-infused café features live music most weekends, textiles for purchase, and an extensive beverages menu featuring coffee, Italian sodas, sachet loose teas and cider. Hungry for a bite? Sit down for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This article was originally published in September 2014 and has been updated for 2016.