After a long and stressful week, sometimes nothing is better than visiting a bar or pub and drinking a glass of wine, beer or parent cocktail to unwind. But what if your young ones are tagging along? Where are the kid-friendly bars?
It’s not uncommon these days to see parents out enjoying a meal and adult beverage with kids in tow. But it can be helpful to know which of these “bars” are paired with a family-friendly restaurant situation – especially if you’ve got active little ones on your hands.
We searched around southeast Michigan to solve this problem and find some super kid-friendly bars. Many of these eateries offer family-style seating, wide-open spaces and even kids menus.
So don’t let the small fries stop you from having a little fun – get them in on it, instead!
Note: Hours are offerings are subject to change. Always call ahead or check each bar’s website for current details.
- Address: 925 N. Lapeer Road, Oxford
- Phone: 248-328-4944
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 4 p.m.-midnight Thursday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
This one-of-a-kind spot offers a menu of shareable plates and entrees created by its unique food-truck kitchen. Parents will find more than three dozen beers, Stillhouse whiskey, bourbon and other spirits along with bowling, mini bowling, darts and ping-pong to enjoy with the kids.
- Address: 3100 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-974-7040
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Monday and Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday
Bakersfield serves authentic Mexican street food while boasting a selection of over 100 tequilas and American whiskey options. Sit down with your family at one of the many picnic-style tables and enjoy the views of Midtown Detroit.
- Address: 33314 Grand River Ave., Farmington
- Phone: 248-615-2955
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 4-11 p.m. Thursday, 4 p.m.-midnight Friday, 1 p.m.-midnight Saturday, 1-9 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday
- Address: 120 E. Main St., Northville
- Phone: 248-615-2955
- Hours: 3-10 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 3-11 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday
A bar, restaurant and ice cream parlor all in one? Count us in. Serving unique comfort foods like “chicken in a waffle cone” or simple dishes like grilled cheese, this downtown Northville attraction is sure to please the whole family. Definitely try one of the boozy ice cream concoctions like “Mocha Under the Influence,” made with chocolate “hammer” ice cream and espresso vodka.
- Address: 57695 Van Dyke Ave., Washington Township
- Phone: 586-697-3300
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight, Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Serving American beer and smokehouse cuisine with inviting community seating, Brown Iron Brewhouse is a great place to stop in with the family. Its large beer garden includes picnic tables and fire pits for when the family wants to have a little more room to dine or to enjoy the weather.
- Address: 474 Peterboro St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-462-4973
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday
Just like it says on its website, the Detroit Shipping Co. is: “The food of a five-star restaurant. The atmosphere of a beer garden. The walls of a shipping container.” It features five food-truck style cuisines, two full service bars, a coffee and ice cream booth, a small stage and picnic table seating.
- Address: 50640 Waterside Drive, New Baltimore
- Phone: 586-949-9600
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday
Eagles Bar & Grill is your classic sports bar offering a game area, kids menu and 22-ounce Coors Light and Bud Light drafts for just $2.
- Address: 7 N. Saginaw St., Pontiac
- Phone: 248-977-3972
- Hours: 3-11 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
This microbrewery serves ales, lagers and brick-oven pizzas. Set in a former art gallery and office space, Fillmore 13 proves a solid option among kid-friendly bars with its wide-open space and breathable atmosphere.
- Address: 311 S. Main St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-913-2730
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-2 a.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-midnight Sunday
- Address: 441 W. Canfield St., Suite 9, Detroit
- Phone: 313-262-6115
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 419 W. Main St., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-544-6250
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday, 10 a.m.-midnight Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Located around southeast Michigan, Jolly Pumpkin is a one-stop shop for good drinks, food and family time. Each location offers a different kids menu, from pepperoni pizza to grilled cheese and to even some tasty vegetarian and vegan options. The Detroit spot offers picnic table seating, too.
- Address: 1903 Grand River Blvd., Detroit
- Phone: 313-626-5005
- Hours: 3-11 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 3-9 p.m. Sunday
This spot offers a panoramic view of the city in the summertime and meals served inside of customized igloos in the winter. Find a beer-centered menu for adults and unique American eats for the kids including pretzels, mac & cheese and burgers.
- Address: 2163 Michigan Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-964-5000
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday
This upbeat grill makes our cut for kid-friendly bars. Its ’50s-style diner feel is sure to win over you and the kids. Enjoy your Michigan-based beer with poutine or a burger while your little ones enjoy one of their many creative milkshakes, like an orange Faygo version.
- Address: 112 Macomb Place, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-329-1252
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Saturday-Sunday, closed Monday
O’Halloran’s is an Irish pub offering a large patio seating area and booth seating. Happy hour is 2-7 p.m. daily. This spot also offers a kids menu.
- Address: 2721 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-929-2430
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
A family-owned, neighborhood-style gastropub that serves hearty meals and boasts a tap menu of 48, including rotating craft beers and four to six wine draft options. There is communal seating and a children’s menu, making this brew and chew a solid “kid-friendly bars” choice.
- Address: 6665 Highland Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-666-4161
- Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Sunday-Saturday
Shark Club is a family-owned destination for family-oriented fun and entertainment. This option among our list of kid-friendly bars has 38 beers on tap and a full American-style menu. Also, with your purchase of food and beverage, you get access to free pool at one of the 10 pool tables.
- Address: 2019 W. Stadium Blvd., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-369-2990
- Hours: 4 p.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday, noon-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
This craft brewery offers a variety of lagers to try, from seasonal to rotating. The menu is classic taproom fare and includes food for the kids, like pulled pork sliders or cheese flatbread.
Know of any standout kid-friendly bars in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor we missed? Let us know in the comments!