Divas are involved in building architects, apps, skin-care products creators and build bridges. The Divas next gather in spring while the boys involved in the program, the Digital Dudes will reconvene next fall.
In the meantime, you can get your daughter interested in STEM with this DIY lip gloss recipe.
- Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes at all times.
- Be sure an adult manages the stove and pours hot liquids for you.
- Don’t eat or drink anything while working on your project.
- Lip balm tubes or tins (find on Amazon, at Michaels, etc.)
- Beeswax (buy on Amazon or at local drugstore)
- Coconut oil
- Lipstick (optional; you’ll need to cut a small chunk from it)
- Double boiler (for stovetop) or glass bowl (for microwave)
- Craft stick
- Essential oil (optional)
Note: This recipe makes three tubes or tins of lip balm!
- Measure out 8 grams (about 1.5 tsp.) of beeswax into the double boiler or bowl.
- In the same pot, add another 8 grams (about 1.5 tsp.) coconut oil.
- If you’d like, add a small chunk of lipstick for color.
- Place the double boiler on the stovetop over low heat and slowly heating the mixture until everything melts. Gradually heat in the microwave if using the bowl. (Note: Using a double boiler is important; do not heat the mixture directly!)
- Use a craft stick to mix everything together.
- When everything has melted, add a few drops of an essential oil like lemon or peppermint.
- Mix with a craft stick.
- Have an adult help you pour the hot mixture into your lip balm tubes or tins
- Wait until the mixture cools and solidifies before touching and using.