There’s no better place to make a splash than at one of the public swimming pools in metro Detroit or, during summer, at the beach. But while a day in the chlorine or waves can be fun for the whole family, it’s also a great reminder of the value of swimming classes for kids.
After all, dangers can lurk beneath the water, especially if your child can’t swim or lacks sound swimming safety tips. Luckily, there are plenty of kids’ swimming classes in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.
Here, Metro Parent has rounded up some of the best swimming classes for kids in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties to help your kid ditch the water wings and become a skilled water bug.
Find great swimming lessons for children with special needs, too. Just cruise this list and choose the class or swim school that’s right for you.
Note: Offerings and rates may vary throughout the year, and some venues may only be open seasonally. Check ahead on all classes, since registration is required.
AquaClub Swim School
- Cost: May vary by location and option; check ahead
This group offers swimming lessons for kids with seven total levels. Umbrellas include Aqua Babies for ages 3 and younger, Aqua Fish for ages 3-5 and AquaCubs for kids ages 5 and older. Offerings can vary among locations; typical starting age is 6 months, with some as young as 3 months; check ahead.
- Cost: Two lessons per week in a group class are $200/month; rates may vary by location, though; check ahead for rates on one, three or four lessons per week and sibling discounts
Offers indoor swimming classes for kids starting at age 4 months all the way up to 12 years, mommy and me classes, special needs classes, a swim club, swim team and more.
- Address: 31555 Southfield Road, Beverly Hills
- Members: $35/private lesson; prices vary for group classes
- Nonmembers: $46/private lesson; prices vary for group classes
Since 1989, this spot has been teaching tots to swim using the Red Cross certified “Learn to Swim” method. Plus, a parent-tot class for kids 6 months to 3 years is offered, along with beginning and intermediate classes for kids 2-3 years old and five levels of classes for kids ages 3-plus.
- Address: 922 N Beech Daly Road, Dearborn Heights
- Cost: $96/one class, once a week, per month; $182/one class, twice a week, per month; sibling discounts are available; call for semi-private class rates
The international swim company British Swim School is known for its water survival skills training and brings that training to local families. Find swimming classes for kids as young as 3 months, plus options from toddlers to teens at any skill level. This location has ample parking, too.
- Address: Beach Middle School, 445 Mayer Drive, Chelsea
- Cost: Contact for details
Kids start in the parent-tot “Polliwog” class for ages 1-4, then move up to the “Mudpuppy” and “Turtle” classes. When they’re 5 years old and have passed through the other classes, they reach the “Dolphin” level, which develops more advanced strokes and builds endurance. Note: This pool is not currently open to the public in 2022; check the website for updates.
- Address: 15801 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Cost: Contact for details
This spot offers private swimming lessons — plus special parent-and-child pool time when parents can introduce their children to the pool and teach them to be safe. Note: Swim lessons are canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic; check online for updates.
- Cost: Prices vary by location
This spot offers “mini” infant classes for kids as young as 4 months old, “junior” class for toddlers ages 3-4 years, the “beginner” class, the “Glider” “Star” and “Pro” classes for advanced swimmers ages 4-plus, and a swim team for ages 5-12.
- Address: Fraser High School, 34270 Garfield Road, Fraser
- Cost: Most classes for kids cost $72 for eight weeks; $90 for teens
This spot offers the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program with swimming classes for kids as young as 6 months, along with kids, teens and adaptive options.
Huron-Clinton MetroParks Free Swim Lessons
- Adams Butzel Complex: 10500 Lyndon St., Detroit
- Chandler Park Aquatic Family Center: 12600 Chandler Park Drive, Detroit
- Brennan Pool: 21415 Plymouth Road, Detroit
- Heilmann Community Center: 19601 Crusade St., Detroit
- Macomb Family YMCA: 10 N. River Road, Mount Clemens
- Patton Recreation Center: 2301 Woodmere St., Detroit
- Rutherford Pool: 975 Congress St., Ypsilanti
- Cost: Free
New for 2022, the Huron-Clinton MetroParks have partnered with Swim in the D to provide 1,000 Southeast Michigan children with free swim lessons. The program is expected to expand every year. Note: More partnerships are expected for Pontiac, Detroit and Livingston County; check back for more information.
- Address: Classes held at Beaumont Wellness Center in Rochester Hills, Holiday Inn Express in Northville, Milford High School, Troy Community Center, Warren Community Center and Hampton Inn Ann Arbor
- Cost: Varies
The Self-Rescue swim program is available for children ages 6 months to 6 years old. All lessons are one-on-one with an instructor and most students achieve independent Self-Rescue skills within six weeks.
- Addresses: 6600 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
- Cost: $220/four private swim lessons; $600/12 private swim lessons
The Jewish Community Center of Metro Detroit offers private and semi-private swim lessons for ages 6 months and up. Adults lessons are available as well.
- Address: 2975 W. Liberty Road, Ann Arbor
- Cost: $35/$48 for 30 minute private lesson for member and nonmembers; independent group swim classes start at $60 for members for multiple swims per week
This spot has a shallow warm water Lagoon Pool that is perfect for infants and beginners to get used to the water and a lap pool for kids to work their skills. They offer private and semi-private lessons, too.
- Cost: Starts at $70/month with membership
Start your little one off with swimming lessons starting at 4 months and up to 12 years. Children can also join a swim team at ages 5 and up, and private classes are available.
- Address: 15100 Hubbard St., Livonia
- Cost: $42-$80 depending on the number of weeks and membership
Bring your tot to a parent-preschool course on how to swim, or take a class yourself. Pre registration is required, and spaces fill up fast.
- Address: 715 Brooks St., Ann Arbor
- Cost: Check prices online when the pool opens up in the fall. Outdoor swim classes at Fuller, Buhr and Veterans Memorial Park pools start at $60.
This local pool offers log rolling and mermaid finswimming, but first, fine-tune aquatic skills with swimming classes for kids. Little ones ages 6-18 start out as a “tadpole” and work up to the “orca” level. Find classes for all ages, plus private lessons. Note: This pool is typically open in the fall, winter and spring months; in summer, try the outdoor pools at Fuller, Buhr and Veterans Memorial Parks.
- Address: 2960 Washtenaw Ave., Ann Arbor
- Cost: $160/person, $80/second person when signing up with first person
The lifeguards at this Washtenaw County center offer swimming classes for kids ages 4-plus.
- Address: 1361 Balton Blvd, Rochester Hills
- Cost: $102 for a four week course
Kids ages 6 months to 3 years can join in one of the Tiny Tot courses, based on their age, and learn swimming basics with the help of their parents. At age 3, they transition into the “Tadpole” group and keep moving up levels until they hit the American Red Cross LTS Level 6 “Sailfish” class.
- Cost: $72/month for parent-tot classes once a week; $55/private lessons
Royal Swimming is a coach-owned swim company operating out of the Franklin Athletic Club and Lamphere High School. Sibling discounts are available as well as classes for adults.
- Cost: $95/month
Find 11 courses for your child to work his or her way through. Begin with the “Parent-N-Me” class, which introduces kids to the water by incorporating bonding time with mom and dad. Next up is the toddler transition course. By the final level, kids will have learned a variety of strokes and will be ready to compete on a swim team.
- Address: 1866 Woodland Drive, Saline
- Cost: $72 for five sessions for members; $84 for five sessions for nonmembers for most age groups
Offers a “Parent & Tot” class for kids 6 months to 2 1/2 years and a “Parent & Preschooler” class for 2 1/2 through age 5, where kids learn water comfort and basic skills including kicks, floating, bubble blowing, jumps and more. A “Starfish” next learns submerged, front and back floats. By “Shark” classes, for ages 4-6, kids get comfortable in deep water and learn freestyle swim strokes.
- Address: Summit on the Park’s Indoor Aquatic Center, 46000 Summit Parkway, Canton
- Cost: Varies by class
Award-winning lifeguards supervise the highly trained instructors that teach a variety of different programs, from beginner parent-and-child swimming classes for kids to competitive levels for middle school-aged kids and teens, plus conditioning and more.
- Address: 20699 Macomb St., Macomb
- Township residents: $54/ages 6 months-12 years, $84/semi-private lessons
- Non-township Macomb County residents: $66/ages 6 months-12 years, $96/semi-private lessons
Youth are tested to determine which class level they should be in before parents sign them up for swimming classes for kids ages 6 months to 12 years.
- Address: 3425 Civic Center Drive, Troy
- Cost: Varies; contact for details
Starfish Aquatics offers swimming classes for kids beginning at 6 months. Find private lessons in the mix here, too.
- Address: 5460 Arden Ave., Warren
- Cost: $60/two classes per week for four weeks
Find lessons for ages 4 and under and teens, along with private and semi-private lessons, all aimed at teaching water lovers to be safe in and around the pool.
- Address: 39221 Woodward Ave., Bloomfield Hills
- Cost: Instructors set fees for private lessons
Check out this spot’s private or semi-private lessons for any age and skill level. Semi-private lessons are available upon request and can be scheduled with two or more students who sign up together.
- Birmingham Family YMCA: 400 E. Lincoln St, Birmingham
- Boll Family YMCA: 1401 Broadway St., Suite 3A, Detroit
- Carls Family YMCA: 300 Family Drive, Milford
- Downriver Family YMCA: 16777 Northline Road, Southgate
- Farmington Family YMCA: 28100 Farmington Road
- Macomb Family YMCA: 10 N. River Road, Mount Clemens
- South Oakland Family YMCA: 1016 W. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Cost: May vary by location; discounts with YMCA memberships
The YMCA is a great place to find affordable swimming classes for kids. Options include Swim Starters for ages 6 months to 3 years, Swim Basics for ages 3 and older and Swim Strokes for 6-plus — along with youth private swim lessons and adaptive swim lessons.
This post is updated regularly.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.