Are you ready for wintertime fun? The snow hasn’t fallen just yet but flurries are definitely on the horizon in the Mitten State, which means it’s the perfect time to start planning wintertime activities with your family.
All across our state, winter fun spots are gearing up for this season, ready to make your 2017 winter the best one yet. Here, find a list of 10 of the top spots to chill in Grand Rapids this season. It’s full of parks that offer outdoor fun that’s perfect for when the weather gets nippy; plus educational and performance hubs full of indoor activities when it’s a little too frigid. Look for one that seems hot and get ready to hit the snow.
- Address: 1715 Hillburn Ave. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-735-6240
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays and Fridays, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays
- Cost: $3/person, free/members
You can snowshoe, hike or walk through the center’s snow-covered nature trails, check out some of the spot’s educational programs and events, meet some of the center’s permanent animal residents and more. Snowshoes are available for rent but trails are not groomed during the winter months.
- Address: 100 E. Beltline Ave. NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-957-1580
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays-Saturdays, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays; open until 9 p.m. select days in December, closed Dec. 25 and Jan. 1, 2017
- Cost: $14.50/adults, $11/students and seniors, $7/ages 5-13, $4/ages 3-4, free/2 and under
This garden and park features indoor and outdoor gardens and sculptures, plus outdoor installations for families to check out. This winter, they’re offering Christmas and Holiday Traditions Around the World, which showcases a variety of holiday traditions that different cultures participate in; plus light displays on the sculptures, art classes and more.
- Address: 303 Pearl St. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-254-0400
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, noon-5 p.m. Sundays; closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
- Cost: $8/adults, $7/seniors, $6/students, $4/ages 6-18, free/under age 5
Experience the highlights of President and Mrs. Ford’s lives through permanent exhibits, changing displays and more.
- Address: 101 Monroe Center St. NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-831-1000
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays and Fridays-Saturdays, noon-5 p.m. Sundays
- Cost: $10/adults, $8/students and seniors, $6/ages 6-17, free/kids 5 and under
Check out art installations by local Michigan artists and big names alike; plus art studios for kids, special events, yoga sessions and more.
- Address: 11 Sheldon Ave. NE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-235-4726
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays and Fridays-Saturdays, 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays, noon-5 p.m. Sundays
- Cost: $8.50/general admission, free/kids under 1
Instead of letting your kids veg out on the couch, get them engaged at the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum, which offers interactive exhibits for kids, including Bubbles, To The Rescue and Aunt Daisy’s Farm. Offers daily programming, labs and open paint sessions, too.
- Address: 435 Ionia Ave. SW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-805-5308
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve, closed Christmas Day and New Years Day
- Cost: Free/admission, fees apply for products on sale
This one-stop indoor shop is home to 21 vendors and two full-service restaurants; plus monthly outdoor events, cooking classes and more. Take a stroll and get some holiday shopping done or try your hand at some cooking classes. Be sure to check ahead for special events.
- Address: 3707 Northridge Drive NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-784-5437
- Hours: walk-in hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays; check for holiday hours on select days in December
- Cost: $10/ages 3-12, $5/ages 2 and under, free/kids under 9 months, $1.50/ages 13-plus
This indoor playground offers massive inflatables and soft play structures for kids ages 12 and under. Pay the entrance fee once and jump all you like. Socks are required and are available for purchase.
- Address: Various locations around Kent County
- Phone: 616-632-7275
- Hours: Check with your nearest park for details
- Cost: Free
There are 42 parks full of green spaces and bodies of water in the Kent County Park system. Find opportunities for wintertime fun including ice skating, cross-country skiing, sledding and more in select parks.
- Address: 155 Monroe Center NW, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-456-3699
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9:45 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-9:45 p.m. Sundays in December, weather permitting.
- Cost: $3/adults, $1/youth, $20-$50/season pass, $10-$18/punch card
Locals flock to the park all year long to check out the 166 fiber-optic trees, reflecting pools and statues, but in the winter you can swing by for ice skating fun for all ages. Ice balance aids available and the rink is wheelchair accessible.
- Address: 1130 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids
- Phone: 616-459-4788; main office: ext. 130, box office: ext. 131,
- Hours: main office: 2-7 p.m. Mondays-Fridays; show times vary
- Cost: vary by show
Catch affordable cult classics, holiday screenings, documentaries, comedy shows and more at this complex.