A shiny Red Delicious is a tried-and-true gift for a new teacher. Why not take a cue from that iconic apple and craft something handy they’ll use all school year long? “Paint dip” a pencil pouch and pair it with a cute handmade apple tag perfect for a little note from your kid – an extra special keepsake to kick off September.
- Plain canvas zippered pouch (any size)
- Craft paint (bright red)
- Painter’s tape
- Blank gift tag
- Craft felt scraps (red, brown, green)
- Decide what part of the pouch you want to look “dipped.” Mark with a long piece of painter’s tape. Press firmly into place.
- Paint half the pouch. Make sure all nooks and crannies are covered! Remove the tape and let dry.
- Once the first side of the pouch is dry, repeat for the other side.
- From the felt scraps, cut an apple body, stem and leaf. Glue together at the bottom of the gift tag. Once it dries, on the top, have your child sign his or her name and maybe write a message. Attach the tag to the pouch’s zipper pull.
- Fill your pouch with useful gear like new pens and pencils, fun markers or even a gift card to a local coffee shop.
Photo by Marina Csomor