- 8-inch square baking pan
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened (plus extra for pan)
- 2 tsp. ground coffee
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar (plus 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Cocoa powder (for dusting pan)
- 1.5 cup buttercream frosting
- Primary-color M&M’s or Skittles (red, orange, yellow, blue, indigo, violet)
- Prepare pan by greasing with extra butter and dusting inside with cocoa powder.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Melt 1 2/3 cups of chocolate chips with butter in microwave, checking every 10-15 seconds and mixing often.
- Stir ground coffee into melted chocolate (makes flavor more intense!).
- Add sugar and stir thoroughly.
- Add flour and stir until incorporated. Stir in beaten eggs.
- Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely; turn out of tin.
- Coat brownie with a thin layer of buttercream (hint: To hide crumbs, before this step, apply a thicker “crumb coating” layer of buttercream, using an offset spatula).
- Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Place three rows of Tic-Tacs around the four edges to create a square border.
- Place green treats in an arch from the bottom left to the top right corners.
- Repeat with other five colors, in order noted in ingredient list. Once rainbow is done, fill the remaining gaps with blue treats.
Excerpted with permission from Cakemoji by Jenni Powell, published by Quadrille.
Photo by Rita Platts