Meet Rynell Sturkey, a teacher at Paul Robeson Malcolm X Academy in Detroit.
- Grades taught: K-6 for the last 17 years; currently teaching 1st grade
- Years as a teacher: 17 years
- Favorite book as a child? Freckle Juice by Judy Blume
- What is your class reading now: What I Want to Be, by P. Mignon Hinds
- Reading tip: When your child is trying to sound out an unfamiliar word, give him or her time to do so. Remind them to look closely at each of the letters of the word to sound them out.
Learning how to read is an important part of making good health care choices. Kids who know how to read will use the skill for the rest of their lives. The educators in Teacher Spotlight help young readers now, so they can make choices to stay healthy in the future. For more information, visit uhccommunityplan.com.