Are you looking for a way that you can better support your community? Buying from a local independent shop is one way you can do so.
In addition to receiving a friendly and personal shopping experience filled with great bargains on quality items, families who choose to shop small are also helping their neighbors send their kid to summer camp or save up for a family vacation.
They are also supporting the farmers and craftspeople that the shops are getting their merchandise from.
Sound like something you want to be a part of? Macomb County is filled with great mom-and-pop shops that sell everything from clothing and shoes to sporting equipment and even music.
Check out this list of the top independent shops in Macomb County that you simply must visit and don’t forget to add your favorite local store in the comments.
Note: Family shops are often family-owned and operated, therefore patrons may see odd or varying hours at each shop. It’s always safest to call ahead before heading out.
Ball Equipment of Richmond
- Address: 68811 Main St., Richmond
- Phone: 586-430-1252
- Hours: 8:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday
This shop has been around since 1944 and specializes in power sports and outdoor power equipment. Find ride-on lawn mowers, ATVs, snowmobiles and even motorcycles. Ask about trade-ins and financing. A second location is open in Sandusky, Michgan.
Bombshell Bridal Boutique
- Address: 27887 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-294-7280
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday and Thursday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday, noon-5 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, noon-4 p.m. Sunday
Planning for upcoming nuptials? You’ll find a wide variety of wedding and bridesmaid gowns in sizes 16 (that’s 10-12 in street clothes) up to size 34 and beyond. Prices range from $800 to $3,400, but payment plans are available.
Browns Family Bookstore
- Address: 27309 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-773-7370
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
Travel to lands of fantasy and wonder in the pages of a new or used book. This shop has lots of variety as far as genres go. Stop in to find a new read to love.
Chester’s Men’s Wear
- Address: 42181 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-263-1880
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
Men in need of either former or casual wear will find it at this shop, which has been serving Clinton Township and the surrounding areas for the past 40 years.
- Address: 34501 Utica Road, Fraser
- Phone: 586-294-4070
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
The biking experts at this shop will hook you up with the perfect specialty bike for you or your child. Bicycle servicing and fitting available.
Great Lakes Hobby & Toy
- Address: 43055 Van Dyke Ave., Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-254-1600
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
Kids and model-enthusiasts will love the wall-to-wall toys, pinewood derby kits, rocket, ship and building models, train sets and slot cars at this shop. Boasts model equipment like paint and glue, too.
Greenwood Pets & Plants
- Address: 13983 E. Nine Mile Road, Warren
- Phone: 586-200-3930
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
This pet and plant supply store has been a Warren landmark since 1954 and recently came under new management. See what the new owner put into the beloved shop and snag a new pet, plant or much-need pet care item.
Hot Hits Records & Games
- Address: 29207 Gratiot Ave., Roseville
- Phone: 586-777-3640
- Hours: noon-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday
You can buy sell and trades music, movies, games and action figures here. Inventory is always changing so swing in often for the latest.
Mama & Babies Boutique & More
- Address: 3731 15 Mile Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-382-9136
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
This local shop specializes in dresses and suits for kids from newborn to 14 years; plus kids’ accessories and special event ware. Custom-made and WIC items, too.
Pops’ Sweets An Treats
- Address: 90 Macomb Place, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-430-1638
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
This retro candy store sells everything from chocolates to popcorn, cotton candy to ice cream tacos and much more. Keep an eye for vintage options and feel free to stop by for a grab n’ go meal.
- Address: 67690 Main St., Richmond
- Phone: 586-727-9628
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday
If your house needs a little work this mom-and-pop shop can help you out with flooring, windows, countertops, tile, wallpapering and more.
Rose Cellar Florist
- Address: 58316 Main St., New Haven
- Phone: 586-749-7725
- Hours: Call for details
Make your loved one’s next birthday or anniversary special with a handcrafted floral display. The staff of skilled florists at this shop will help you through flower selection and provide you with their care and maintenance.
- Address: 32478 Gratiot Ave., Roseville
- Phone: 586-294-7170
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
Find brands like Ugg, Timberland, New Balance, Spring Step, David Tate, Sofft and more for men, women and kids.
The Craft Hut
- Address: 22332 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-871-2887
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Find handcrafted items, adhesive vinyl, DIY workshops and other fun crafting items to get your creative juices flowing.
Totally U Boutique
- Address: 24450 Gratiot Ave., Eastpointe
- Phone: 586-777-7701
- Hours: 1-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturday
Are you a fashionista on a budget? This shop has a wide variety of trendy women’s clothing and reasonable prices throughout.
For more independent shops and other fun things to do in Macomb County, visit Make Macomb Your Home online.