Nothing hits the spot quite like a warm and gooey bowl of macaroni and cheese, but not all mac & cheese tastes the same and not all recipes can claim the title of the best mac & cheese — at least not anymore. The folks in Macomb County’s Department of Planning and Economic Development office have set out to find the best of the best mac & cheese in the county with their Mac Madness event. During this event, independently owned and operated eateries in Macomb County submit their house-made mac & cheese. Once all the submissions are collected by deadline (noon on Monday, March 22), local families then vote on their favorites. In typical “March Madness” fashion, the first round of voting, which begins on March 29, with the top 16 entrants. All voting information can be found on the Mac Madness webpage. From there, the second round will narrow it down to the top 8, then four and two, until the best mac & cheese is crowned.
The winner will win a $2,500 grand prize from Macomb County, a week of free advertising on a digital billboard donated by 5 Star Outdoor, a Mac Madness plaque and bragging rights for a year. Second, third and fourth place will win $1,000 and $500.
Mac & Cheese Spots in Macomb County
Need to taste-test before you make decisions on who to vote for during Mac Madness? Here are a few spots in Macomb County that serve delish mac & cheese options. Note: This is not a comprehensive list of entrants to the Mac Madness event or all of the mac & cheese spots in Macomb County. It’s a sample of mac & cheese offerings to get you excited and ready to vote.
- Address: 20333 Hall Road, Macomb
- Phone: 586-226-8838
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Wednesday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
Choose from shrimp lobster mac & cheese or loaded mac & cheese that comes complete with a house Velveeta sauce, bacon, diced tomatoes, broccoli and penne pasta.
- 36845 Groesbeck Hwy., Clinton Township; 586-789-7320
- 35611 Green St., New Baltimore; 586-716-9977
- Hours: Vary by location
The mac & cheese comes topped with two-year Vermont cheddar and a hint of thyme and black pepper. Locations in Oakland County, too.
- Address: 11528 E. 15 Mile Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-838-5444
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, closed Monday-Sunday
Try mac & cheese with a Cajun and Creole twist.
- Address: 51195 Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-739-5400
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 4-11 p.m. Saturday, 4-8 p.m. Sunday
Choose from a regular or lobster mac & cheese.
- Address: 16655 19 Mile Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-286-8435
- Hours: Opens daily at 4 p.m.
Get some yummy mac & cheese with some Mediterranean flair.
- Address: 40000 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-416-7777
- Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Monday
Find unique mac & cheese options including the macaroni and cheese bites and Joey’s Big Mac N’ Cheese — a burger that comes topped with fried mac & cheese.
- Address: 53 N. Walnut St., Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-307-3100
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday
Try the mac & cheese bites at this New Orleans-inspired spot.
- Address: 44667 Mound Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-739-7284
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Order their mac & cheese with a wrap, salad, gyro or burger.
- Address: 42066 Van Dyke Ave., Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-731-2000
- Hours: 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
This spot offers a wide selection of barbecue-style food including a delicious mac & cheese.
- 221 North Bailey St., Romeo; 586-281-3943
- 48712 Gratiot Ave., Chesterfield; 586-231-5755
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Get their smoked mac & cheese to go along with a brisket or pulled pork sandwich.
- Address: 5836 E. 12 Mile Road, Warren
- Phone: 586-510-4817
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
Try some mac & cheese with a soul food twist.
- Address: 50308 Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-532-0148
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Sunday
Score a larger portion of bacon mac & cheese that comes with mixed pasta, a blend of cheese with bacon and scallions.
- Address: 51034 Washington St., New Baltimore
- Phone: 586-273-7695
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
This spot offers lobster and shrimp mac & cheese alongside their Bay Mac n Cheese, which comes with a Vermont white cheddar cheesy cream sauce.
- Address: 42046 Groesbeck Hwy, Fraser
- Phone: 586-222-1717
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, closed Saturday-Sunday
This spot sports a smoked mac & cheese to go with their menu of ribs and other barbecue items.
- Address: 100 Macomb Place, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-465-2201
- Hours: 3-10 p.m. daily
Try the deep-fried mac and cheese bites solo or in the appetizer platter.
- Address: 48810 Hayes Road, Macomb
- Phone: 586-991-7943
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
Try a bit of the chef’s weekly mac & cheese with craft eats such as kimchi fried rice, salmon tikka and more.
- 26756 Gratiot Ave., Roseville; 586-362-8585
- 35351 23 Mile Road, New Baltimore; 586-273-7160
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
Though known for their cheeseburgers, this spot also boasts a deep-fried mac & cheese as a side.
- Address: 45689 Hayes Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-532-9669
- Hours: 3-8 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 3-9 p.m. Friday, 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
This spot’s classic comforts menu includes a baked mac & cheese. Add chicken, bacon or ham for an extra charge.
- Address: 27380 Van Dyke, Warren
- Phone: 586-754-8383
- Hours: 12:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday, closed Monday
This spot’s mac & cheese comes is made of medium-shell noodles tossed in a three-cheese sauce and topped in panko bread crumbs. Add shrimp or lobster for an additional charge.
- Address: 13905 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-566-0627
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 4-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 4-9 p.m. Sunday
This spot’s bacon mac & cheese comes with smoked gouda, Vermont cheddar and fontina in a panko crust. Add chicken, shrimp or lobster.
- Address: 28775 Utica Road, Roseville
- Phone: 586-779-5630
- Hours: Noon-midnight Sunday, 11 a.m.-midnight Monday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday-Saturday
Get the smokehouse mac + cheese with chicken, pork or brisket.
- Address: 45225 Marketplace Blvd., Chesterfield
- Phone: 586-949-1470
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
Offers five styles of mac & cheese, including a classic, twisted, lobster, buffalo and fried. Gluten-free pasta available for an extra $2.
- Address: 120 S. Main St., Romeo
- Phone: 586-752-4400
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
Choose from the house mac, buffalo chicken mac, the ultimate veggie mac or the cowboy mac.
For more information about Mac Madness visit the Macomb County Department of Planning and Economic Development at Make Macomb Your Home.