Nothing hits the spot quite like a warm and gooey bowl of macaroni and cheese. But not all mac & cheese tastes the same and not all recipes can claim the title of the best mac & cheese — at least not anymore.
The folks in Macomb County’s Department of Planning and Economic Development (MCPED) office have set out to find the best of the best mac & cheese in the county with their Mac Madness event.
During this event, independently owned and operated eateries in Macomb County submitted their house-made mac & cheese. Now local families can vote on their favorites.
“We’ve got some great made-from-scratch macaroni and cheese dishes in the running this year,” says Vicky Rowinski, the director of the MCPED. “So now is the time to get out and do a personal taste test. Show some love to our local restaurants and help us find Macomb County’s Big Cheese!”
In typical “March Madness” fashion, the first round of voting, which began on March 17, starts with the top 16 entrants. All voting information can be found on the Mac Madness webpage. From there, the second round will narrow it down to the top 8, then four and two, until the best mac & cheese is crowned.
The winner will win a $2,500 grand prize from Macomb County, a Mac Madness plaque and bragging rights for a year. Second, third and fourth place will win $1,000 and $500, respectively.
Mac & Cheese Spots in Macomb County
Need to taste-test before you make decisions on who to vote for during Mac Madness? Here are a few spots in Macomb County that serve delish mac & cheese options.
Note: This is not a comprehensive list of entrants to the Mac Madness event or all of the mac & cheese spots in Macomb County. It’s a sample of mac & cheese offerings to get you excited and ready to vote.
- Address: 20333 Hall Road, Macomb
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Wednesday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
Choose from shrimp lobster mac & cheese or loaded mac & cheese that comes complete with a house Velveeta sauce, bacon, diced tomatoes, broccoli and penne pasta.
- Address: 36845 Groesbeck Hwy., Clinton Township and 35611 Green St., New Baltimore
- Hours: Vary by location
The mac & cheese comes topped with aged Vermont cheddar and a hint of thyme and black pepper. Locations in Oakland County, too.
- Address: 75 Macomb Place, Mount Clemens
- Hours: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 4-10 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday
Try this spot’s baked Mac ‘n Cheese, which features a cavatappi pasta in a three-cheese sauce with a baked-crumb top.
- Address: 51195 Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 4-11 p.m. Saturday, 4-9 p.m. Sunday
Choose from a regular or lobster mac & cheese.
- Address: 16655 19 Mile Road, Clinton Township
- Hours: Contact for details
The “Bubblin” Mac & Cheese is baked in a cast iron skillet. They also offer salads, sandwiches and pizza, too.
- Address: 51006 Washington St., New Baltimore
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday
This spot’s gourmet mac & cheese is pasta tossed in a creamy three-cheese blend that’s baked with bacon and a cracker crust. They offer lobster mac & cheese, too.
- Address:40000 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Tuesdays, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Wednesday-Sunday
Find unique mac & cheese options including the macaroni and cheese bites and Joey’s Big Mac N’ Cheese — a burger that comes topped with fried mac & cheese.
- Address: 53 N. Walnut St., Mount Clemens
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday, noon-midnight Saturday
Try the mac & cheese bites at this New Orleans-inspired spot.
- Address: 44667 Mound Road, Sterling Heights
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Order their mac & cheese with a wrap, salad, gyro or burger.
- Address: 42066 Van Dyke Ave., Sterling Heights
- Hours: 10 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Monday, 10 a.m.-1 a.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-2 a.m. Thursday-Saturday
This spot offers a wide selection of barbecue-style food including a delicious mac & cheese.
- Address: 151 S. Main St., Romeo
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Get the smoked mac & cheese to go along with a brisket or pulled pork sandwich.
- Address: 24301 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Tuesday-Wednesday, 11 a.m.- 2 a.m. Thursday-Saturday, noon-2 a.m. Sunday, closed Monday
Try the Mitt & Ball Mac N’ Cheese with your favorite bar food, including burgers, pizza and chicken.
- Address: 66880 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: Noon-9 p.m. Monday and Wednesday-Saturday, noon-8 p.m. Sunday, closed Tuesday
Get a side of mac and cheese with your pit-made favorites. They also offer Piggie Mac, which is mac and cheese with pulled pork
- Address: 50308 Schoenherr Road, Shelby Township
- Hours:11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday
Score a larger portion of bacon mac & cheese that comes with mixed pasta, a blend of cheese with bacon and scallions.
- Address: 152 N. River Road, Mount Clemens
- Hours:Contact for details
Try the Three Little Piggies Mac & Cheese, which contains ham, bacon and pulled pork.
- Address: 51034 Washington St., New Baltimore
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
This spot offers lobster and shrimp mac & cheese alongside their Bay Mac n Cheese, which comes with a Vermont white cheddar cheesy cream sauce.
- Address: 42046 Groesbeck Hwy, Fraser
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, closed Saturday-Sunday
This spot sports a smoked mac & cheese to go with their menu of ribs and other barbecue items.
- Address: 100 Macomb Place, Mount Clemens
- Hours: 4 p.m.-midnight Tuesday-Thursday, 4 p.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, 1-11 p.m. Sunday (for Lion’s home games only), closed Monday
Try the deep-fried mac and cheese bites solo or in the appetizer platter.
- Address: 48810 Hayes Road, Macomb
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
Try a bit of the chef’s weekly mac & cheese with craft eats such as kimchi fried rice, salmon tikka and more.
- Address: 26756 Gratiot Ave., Roseville and 35351 23 Mile Road, New Baltimore
- Hours:11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
Though known for their cheeseburgers, this spot also boasts a deep-fried mac & cheese as a side.
- Address: 45689 Hayes Road, Shelby Township
- Hours: 3-9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, midnight-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, closed Monday-Sunday
This spot’s classic comforts menu includes traditional mac & cheese along with pulled pork and buffalo options.
- Address: 27380 Van Dyke Ave., Warren
- Hours: 12:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday, closed Monday
This spot’s mac & cheese comes is made of medium-shell noodles tossed in a three-cheese sauce and topped in panko bread crumbs. Add shrimp or lobster for an additional charge.
- Address: 53660 Harper Ave., Clinton Township
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Enjoy a delicious hot dog with a side of mac and cheese. Turkey and veggie dog options, too.
- Address: 13905 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights
- Hours: 4-10:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 4-11 p.m. Friday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
This spot’s bacon mac & cheese comes with smoked gouda, Vermont cheddar and fontina in a panko crust. Add chicken, shrimp or lobster.
- Address: 28775 Utica Road, Roseville
- Hours: Noon-midnight Sunday, 11 a.m.-midnight Monday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday-Saturday
Get the smokehouse mac + cheese with chicken, pork or brisket.
- Address: 24436 Van Dyke Ave., Center Line
- Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-2 a.m. Sunday
Get a burger, fish, ribs, pizza or sandwich with a gooey bowl of mac and cheese.
- Address: 45225 Marketplace Blvd., Chesterfield
- Hours:11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Offers five styles of mac & cheese, including a classic, twisted, lobster, buffalo and fried. Gluten-free pasta available for an extra $2.
- Address: 120 S. Main St., Romeo
- Hours:11 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
Choose from the house mac, buffalo chicken mac, the ultimate veggie mac or the cowboy mac.
For more information about Mac Madness, visit the Macomb County Department of Planning and Economic Development at Make Macomb Your Home.