It’s the best and biggest baby shower in southeast Michigan! Metro Parent’s first-ever FREE Baby Shower was held at Orchard Mall in West Bloomfield on Saturday, Aug. 17, 2019 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. This can’t-miss party featured Not-Your-Typical Shower Games, Baby Talk sessions, local resources and yummy snacks. There was even a chance for one lucky little bambino to appear on the cover of our Pink + Blue magazine.
Here’s what was in store for new parents and parents-to-be at the new Metro Parent Baby Shower event (stay tuned to this page for details about a future 2020 event) …
Not-Your-Typical Shower Games
Attendees tested their new-parent skills – and won some sweet swag.
- 11-11:15 a.m.: “Name that Tune!” Think you know tunes that involve the word “baby”? Put yourself to the test.
- 11:40 a.m.-noon: “Baby Crawling Contest”: Cheer on pint-sized racers as they vie to win a Graco Portable Pack ’N’ Play.
- 12:40-1 p.m.: “Daddy Relay Race”: A few lucky dads and dads-to-be will tackle silly baby-related tasks for a chance to win an Oxo Cubby Stroller.
- All day (11 a.m.-2 p.m.): “Feed the Baby”: Play some baby-themed cornhole for a chance to win prizes.
- All day (11 a.m.-2 p.m.): “Cutest Baby Cover Contest”: Give your little one the chance to appear on the cover of the 2020 edition of Pink + Blue, Metro Parent’s annual baby guide!
Baby Talk Sessions
So many big questions – so little time. Attendees got quality answers from local experts during these quick 10-minute chats.
- 11:15-11:25 a.m.: Baby Talk #1: “Top 5 Infant and Young Children Safety Tips You Need to Know” with the West Bloomfield Police Station
- 11:30-11:40 a.m.: Baby Talk #2: “Benefits of Specific Exercise for Pregnancy” with Fuse45 high-intensity interval training
- 12:15-12:25 p.m.: Baby Talk #3: “How to Pick the Perfect Stroller” with Buy Buy Baby
- 12:30-12:40 p.m.: Baby Talk #4: “Allergies and Asthma: What Every New or Young Parent Should Know” with Shelby Pediatric Associates & Child Lung Center
- 1:15-1:25 p.m.: Baby Talk #5: “Benefits of Breastfeeding & Formula for Your Baby” with Enfamil
- 1:30-1:40 p.m.: Baby Talk #6: “Getting Your Workout Groove Back Postpartum” with The Sports Club of West Bloomfield
- 1:45-1:55 p.m.: Baby Talk #7: “College Will Be Here Before You Know It” with Michigan Education Trust
Local New-Parent Resources
Need a little guidance as a new mom or dad? Whether or not you attended the event, these resources in southeast Michigan and beyond have you covered:
- Baby Sleep All Night
- Birmingham Pediatrics + Wellness Center
- Buy Buy Baby
- Cate Desjarins, LMSW-C
- Cord Blood Registry
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Children’s Hospital of Detroit
- Gilden Woods Early Care and Preschool
- Kakos Dental
- Michigan Education Trust
- Pathways Academy
- Postpartum Support International
- Shelby Pediatric Associates & Child Lung Center
- The Beauty Lounge
- The B’ Ready Care Seat Coach
- The Sports Club of West Bloomfield
- Wave Goodbye Vacations & Honeymoons
Interested in being an exhibitor at our 2020 event? Email email@example.com for details.
Attendees enjoyed snacks – namely, mini treats from The Dapper Doughnut, along with cheese and crackers, fruit, veggies, water and punch (white grape juice and ginger ale) – while supplies lasted. For those who brought along a proud big brother or sister, we had face painting for them. There was also the all-important stroller check-in. Thanks to all of those who attended in 2019 – and we can’t wait to see you in 2020!