As Michigan slowly returns to life before COVID-19, many Detroit- and Ann Arbor-area families are staying close to home for their safety and practicing social distancing.
We understand that this a challenging time for everyone, especially those with young kids, and we want to help by providing families a weekly list of our “daily picks” filled with virtual events, indoor activities and other fun things to do with your kids while at home.
Are you sharing your at-home activities on Instagram? Tag us @MetroParentMag or use our community hashtag #MPMoment.
Monday, August 31
- Participate in our summer scavenger hunt: Each Monday we post a list of fun things to find. Share your hunt for these items on Instagram with #MPMoment for a chance to be shared.
- Make a shades of people handprint wreath: Teach kids about different races and how our differences make us beautiful with this fun craft.
- Make some ice cream: Treat your kids to six flavors of make-it-yourself ice creams including cotton candy, cinnamon and more.
Tuesday, Sept. 1
- Visit a barrier-free playground: These parks are perfect play spots for kids with disabilities and promote inclusive play, too.
- Take a virtual roller coaster ride: Not comfortable visiting Cedar Point just yet? Break your adrenaline drought with a virtual ride on Millennium Force, Raptor and others.
- Have a family game night: Introduce your child to a classic board game that you loved as a kid.
Wednesday, Sept. 2
- Try an over-the-top dessert: From milkshakes with full cupcakes on top to fancy cakes and huge ice cream cones, these spots have your sweet tooth covered.
- Watch a multicultural movie: Cinderella, Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse and Black Panther are among our top picks.
- Visit a local flower field: Michigan is filled with sunflowers, lavender, poppies and more. Take a trip to pick some buds and snap a few Insta-worthy pics.
- Looking for something fun to do at home this September. Download our free Fun Guide to get the inside scoop on which local spots are reopening — and what they’re doing to keep visitor’s safe — online events and more fun activities.
Thursday, Sept. 3
- Watch Back to the Future: And enjoy some activities based on the hit flick.
- Try martial arts: Or Yoga or a new art class. Local spots are offering it all outdoors and at a safe social distance.
- Try letterboxing: Play the ultimate game of hide-and-seek at these local spots.
Friday, Sept. 4
- Go Fish: No, not the card game. Hit up a local fishing hole and see what you can catch — just make sure you have your fishing license, first.
- Treat yourself to a deluxe chocolate: These local spots offer delicious bonbons, caramels, cakes and more.
- Take a walk through a dinosaur garden: Or one of the 12 other weird roadside destinations that call Michigan home.
- Check out the Metro Parent calendar: It’s full of virtual events to help you plan next week!
Weekend picks: Sept. 5-6
Looking for fun things to do with your kids this weekend? We have plenty of ideas over on our Weekend Picks!
This post is updated weekly.