Finding resources for children with special needs can be challenging. But, if you live in metro Detroit or the greater Ann Arbor area, there are various programs and resources nearby to help your child with autism spectrum disorder or other special needs, which we’ve listed here. Also included in this list are various programs offering occupational therapy for kids with special needs – and services like counseling, therapy and other mental health services in the southeast Michigan region.
Costs vary, so be sure to check with the center of your choice for details and health insurance coverage information.
Know of other resources in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor? Leave us a comment and we’ll add it to our list. Also, check out our special needs events listings for fun activities for children with special needs.
- Address: 3901 Beaubien Blvd., Detroit
- Phone: 313-745-KIDS (5437)
The experts at Children’s Hospital of Michigan specialize in treating children and can aid kids with a variety of special needs, including those with physical and mental health disabilities. Specialties include autism, communication disorders, epilepsy, speech and language pathology and audiology, rehabilitation services, psychiatry and psychology – plus much more.
- Address: 3101 S. Gulley Road, Suite F, Dearborn
- Phone: 734-407-2500
This group offers speech, physical and occupational therapy, nutrition assessment, applied behavioral analysis (ABA therapy) and resources for children with special needs under direction of certified BCBA and more for those ages 0-18.
- Ann Arbor: 2935 Birch Hollow Drive; 734-528-2003
- Royal Oak: 4410 W. 13 Mile Road; 248-837-2047
Here, families have access to applied behavioral analysis (ABA therapy) and additional support for parents of special needs kids, like counseling for the entire family, social skills groups and summer programs. ASD diagnosis required for some services.
- Warren: 12200 E. 13 Mile Road, Suite 200; 586-573-1810
- Redford: 12723 Telegraph Road, Suite 200; 313-794-5653
Check into the outpatient mental health services here if your child has a mental, behavioral or emotional disorder. In-home and outpatient treatment is offered.
- Clinton Township: 15930 19 Mile Road; 586-464-0175
- Troy: 1800 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 150; 248-918-5600
Offers applied behavioral analysis (ABA therapy), social skills training and support groups for the whole family.
- Address: 8600 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-875-7601
Children with developmental disabilities and their families can connect with Life Choices to find resources, gain support and take advantage of its services. Therapy, evaluation, a summer program, art therapy and more are available.
- Address: 20303 Kelly Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-308-1400
Live on Detroit’s east side? If your child in need of mental health services such as evaluation, therapy or medication management, you’ll find help here.
- Address: Beaumont Children’s Center for Human Development, 30503 Greenfield Road, Southfield
- Phone: 248-691-4744 (Center for Human Development front desk)
Families will find ABA therapy plus multidisciplinary assessments for developmental, behavioral and learning disorders. Counseling and academic tutoring are also offered. The center uses a family-focused approach, stressing partnerships between specialists and parents.
- Address: 51 W. Hancock St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-831-0202
Supports children with intellectual impairments and other developmental disabilities. Helps families with the special education process and through the college transition (transitional planning). Also has parent support groups.
- Address: 44050 N. Gratiot Ave., Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-469-1600
Provides information and resources for children with special needs and their families. Also can help with information on special education and disability specific information from birth to 26 years.
- Address: 79 Alexandrine West, Detroit
- Phone: 313-831-5535
Comprehensive diagnostic evaluations, behavioral health services, psychiatric care and therapy for families with a child with autism. Intervention includes applied behavior analysis, behavioral therapy help, parent education and training.
- Center for Excellence: 13111 Allen Road, Building 2, Southgate; 734-785-7710
- Children’s Services: 26300 Outer Drive, Lincoln Park; 313-388-4630
- Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Program: 19401 Northline Road, Building 5, Southgate; 734-785-7700
If you live in Wayne County, check out this organization’s many programs, including mental and behavioral health services. These services are for adults and children of all ages with emotional and behavioral challenges. Plus, you’ll find services for those with intellectual and developmental disabilities and more.
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Southfield: 22777 W. 11 Mile Road, Southfield
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Cottage: 159 Kercheval Ave., Grosse Pointe Farms
- Henry Ford Medical Center – Hamtramck: 9100 Brombach St.,Hamtramck
- Henry Ford Medical Center – New Center One: 3031 W. Grand Blvd., Suite 800, Detroit (Medical Home clinic offering primary care services for children with disabilities and special health care needs, including autism spectrum disorder)
- Phone: 313-916-4665
Find a wealth of services for your child with autism at this center, which is certified by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan as a Center of Excellence for diagnosis of ASD. Find ABA therapy for kids 18 months to 17 years old, an early intervention program for ages 8 months to 6 years and Behavior Support Consultation Program and social skills programming for kids 7-17 years old. Plus, find on-site language and speech therapy, medication clinics, Parent-Child Intervention Treatment for kids 2-7 years old, counseling, mental health and sexual health education services. Families have access to information on resources and advocacy services.
- Address: 100 River Place Drive, Suite 250, Detroit
- Phone: 313-871-2337
Both youth and adults can join group therapy, family support and more at this Detroit center offering resources for children with special needs.
This post is updated regularly.