When you know every word to the Paw Patrol theme song but haven’t engaged in a grown-up conversation in days, it might be time for a play group.
Whether you’re a stay-at-home or working parent, life as a new mom or dad can be isolating. Joining a play group is a great way to meet other parents while providing screen-free entertainment for your little one.
Here, find a Michigan play group based on your location or interests and browse some of the most tot-friendly spots around town – all prime for solo outings or play group fun.
Clubs and Groups
Offer play groups among membership perks. Most have small fees; meeting frequency may vary. Some also offer free trials, so be sure to ask.
Brighton Moms and Tots
- Location: Brighton, nearby
Open to at-home and working moms. Play dates, occasional nights out.
Clarkston Area Moms
- Location: Clarkston, nearby
Energetic group open to working and at-home parents. Play groups, park days, outings to indoor play places, book club and more.
Cutie-Patooties! Rochester, MI Area Play Group
- Locations: Rochester, nearby
Monthly activities for all ages, including stroller exercising at the mall, park meet-ups, zoo trips, themed parties, mom-only outings and more.
Detroit Dads Group
- Location: Metro Detroit area
Open to all dads and dads-to-be – working and stay-at-home. Regular play dates, park/museum outings, classes, dads nights out, events. Part of national City Dads Group.
Farmington Area Mothers’ Club
- Location: Farmington, Farmington Hills, nearby
Multiple events per week for infants through school-age kids, plus mom events and community outreach. Welcomes new members; find at fb.com/famcmi.
Greater Oakland Mothers of Multiples (goMOMS)
- Location: Oakland County area, Lutheran Church of Abiding Presence, 1550 Walton Blvd., Rochester Hills
This group for mothers (and expecting moms) of twins, triplets or more meets monthly and offers informal play dates September-June. Not religiously affiliated.
Huron Valley Moms’ Club
- Location: Commerce Township, Highland, Milford, White Lake
For moms and kids who’d like to meet new friends. Offers play groups, family events, craft nights, outings, moms nights out and monthly mixers.
Huron Valley Parents of Multiples
- Location: Washtenaw county
Parents of twins and multiples can join. Has nearly 200 members; offers play dates, family events, parents nights out and two annual mom-to-mom sales.
‘It Takes A Village’ Early Motherhood Group
- Location: 703 Livernois Ave., Ferndale
- Contact: 248-955-3219
Mothers share the tools they’ve learned to manage the first months. Ongoing, weekly. Lap babies welcome.
Livingston Area Parents of Multiples
- Location: Brighton, Howell, South Lyon, Whitmore Lake, more
Open to all parents of multiple-birth children. Play dates, holiday parties, parents nights out, more.
Macomb County Mothers of Multiples
- Location: Macomb County, surrounding communities, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 30003 Ryan Road, Warren
Parents of twins-plus welcome. Play groups meet year-round, plus moms nights out and other events. Serving moms in the area for 50-plus years.
Macomb Moms Meetup
- Location: Macomb, Oakland, Wayne counties
Lots of activities, play dates and outings. Locations chosen by members.
Late Bloomer Moms
- Contact: 734-719-0403
Open to women who became a first-time mom after age 35. Play dates and other activities around metro Detroit.
Macomb Moms Meetup
- Location: Macomb, Oakland, Wayne counties
Most kids are 5 and under. Lots of activities, play dates. Locations chosen by members.
MOMS Club (Moms Offering Moms Support)
Designed for at-home moms, this international group has many local spots. Play groups are for members; host homes rotate. Chapters also do service projects to help kids. Learn more at momsclub.org, and check these out:
Play groups, outings, holiday parties, service projects and more.
Canton, Livonia, Plymouth, Westland
Play groups meet weekly. All ages.
Casco, Chesterfield, Ira Township New Baltimore, New Haven
Age-appropriate activities, infants-school age. Field trips, play dates, public service events, mom nights out.
Weekly play dates, monthly moms nights out and moms yoga; service projects.
Multiple daytime events each month (children welcome) plus mom-only evenings and service projects. All ages.
Play groups, outings, family events, fitness activities and monthly moms nights out.
Daytime play groups plus outings to parks, the zoo, library, more; moms nights out, too. Moms of infants-plus welcome.
North of 12 Mile Road (Clawson, Royal Oak) and south of 12 Mile Road (Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak) groups. Play dates at parks, the zoo, member homes and more. Group includes full- and part-time stay-at-home moms.
Age-split play groups, monthly general meetings with guest speakers, outings to parks and more.
Members live in South Lyon and New Hudson south of I-96. Fun activities, play groups, meet-ups at indoor play places.
Open to Center Line, Fraser, Roseville, St. Clair Shores and Warren moms. Stay-at-home and working moms welcome. Play groups and fun activities.
Weekly age-specific play groups, park days, moms nights out and more.
Open to families south of M-59. Multiple weekly play groups, crafts, recipe club, outings, more.
Fun events including age-divided play groups and community activities.
Monthly social meetings, cooking club, backyard/park play dates, more.
MOPS International (Mothers of Preschoolers)
Got kids from birth to kindergarten? Belong to a faith community? Check if your church has a MOPS. Moms meet while kids play and socialize nearby with child care; added activities often available. They’re Christian-based, but all faiths usually welcome. National dues are $31.95, but totals vary by group. Typically meeting during the school year. Here are a few; more at mops.org.
Moms nights out, play dates, Bible study. 2225 E. 14 Mile Road. 248-646-6100.
Two locations. Summer play dates, too. 7555 Brighton Road, 517-579-9525; 49555 N. Territorial Road, 734-414-7777.
Playtime for kids, connections and support. Also meets weekly in summer at local parks. 38900 Harper Ave. 586-463-2921.
Twice-monthly meetings. 30450 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills. 248-626-3620.
Two locations. Open to moms of infants through kindergarteners. 4640 S. Lapeer Road, Lake Orion (248-786-0700) and 1825 E. Square Lake Road, Troy (248-786-0600).
Also offers summer play dates at local parks. Scholarships available 30000 Five Mile Road, Livonia. 734-367-4632.
Two monthly gatherings. 40000 Six Mile Road. 248-374-7400.
Twice-monthly meetings. 50200 W. 10 Mile Road. 248-912-0043.
Meets twice per month. 508 Williams St. 248-541-0613.
Meets once monthly. 27801 Jefferson Ave. 586-777-8533.
No Nuts Moms Group
- Location: All Michigan
The Michigan branch of this free peanut/tree-nut-free network has options in western metro Detroit and Ann Arbor. Support and play groups at venues, parks.
Working Moms of Southeastern Michigan
- Location: Novi, nearby
Join other working moms to share struggles and triumphs, enjoy play dates and attend moms nights out.
These fun spots are popular for play groups. Bring yours (call ahead to schedule; discounts may apply!) – or drop-in to socialize sans commitment (check ahead for hours and rates).
Aqua-Tots Swim Schools
- Auburn Hills: 750 Brown Road, 248-537-4005
- Canton: 43335 Joy Road, 734-828-2000
- Farmington Hills: 31221 W. 14 Mile Road, 248-537-4004
- Novi: 44225 W. 12 Mile Road, Suite C103, 248-845-4544
- Sterling Heights: 44891 Hayes Road, 586-884-3633
- Troy: 846 E. Big Beaver Road, 248-845-4545
- Woodhaven: 21621 Allen Road, Woodhaven, 734-818-8111
Open family swim times for all ages could be a great way to mingle with other parents (lessons here are for ages 4 months-plus).
- Location: 1928 Star-Batt Drive, Suite B, Rochester Hills
- Contact: 248-852-6288
One-stop sibling fun for toddlers and the family, from play structures and disco dancing to doll house tea parties and a café. Baby zone, live music, music classes, puppet/magic shows, parties and more.
Canton Leisure Services Summit on the Park
- Location: 46000 Summit Parkway, Canton
- Contact: 734-394-5460
Kids ages 0-5 and parents can enjoy drop-in play and swim select Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings during the school year.
Detroit Kid City
- Clinton Township: 37051 Gratiot Ave., 248-440-7458
- Dearborn: 22950 Michigan Ave., 313-914-3678
- Southfield: 29115 Greenfield Road, 248-443-5300
Features a hands-on “Mini Detroit” play city geared toward infants to age 8.
Ferndale Recreation – Kids Corner
- Location: Gerry Kulick Community Center, 1201 Livernois Ave., Ferndale
- Contact: 248-544-6767
Find toys, mats and a bounce house for children 9 months and older at this community center.
- Location: 7127 Dixie Highway, Clarkston
- Contact: 248-297-5453
Kids creatively explore 2,400 square feet of play area. A smaller two-level play structure is for little ones.
Funtastic Play Centers
Babies can play on plush mats and toddlers on modular soft play equipment. Open play offered for ages 0-8.
Goldfish Swim School
- Ann Arbor: 2107 W. Stadium Blvd., 734-864-5555
- Birmingham: 2388 Cole St., Suite 101, 248-644-1914
- Canton: 225 Sheldon Road, 248-596-1914
- Clarkston: 6340 Waldron Center Drive, 248-795-2252
- Farmington Hills: 22710 Haggerty Road, Suite 200, 248-596-1914
- Macomb Township: 18377 Hall Road, Suite 1, 248-596-1914
- Rochester: 550 South St., 248-596-1914
Besides its swim lessons starting at 4 months, these venues host family swim and pool play dates.
Jack E. Kirksey Recreation Center – Tree Fort
- Location: 15100 Hubbard St., Livonia
- Contact: 734-466-2410
Its indoor tree fort with slides, tunnels and interactive toys is fun for ages 10 and under and offers toddler-friendly fun daily.
- Canton: 6481 Canton Center Road, 734-927-6680
- Clinton Township: 44595 Enterprise Drive, 586-203-0500
- Farmington Hills: 27658 Middlebelt Road, 248-919-3284
These jungle-themed play structures include toddler areas for kids under 3.
- Location: 509 State Circle, Ann Arbor
- Contact: 734-769-0263
This indoor play space, geared at ages 2-plus, emphasizes creative play.
- Location: 18602 Fenkell St., Detroit
- Contact: 313-296-1741
An imagination-inspired indoor playground and child care center with open play on Saturdays.
Macomb Township Recreation Center
- Location: 20699 Macomb St., Macomb Township
- Contact: 586-992-2900
Indoor playground, including smaller play structure for toddlers, and other activities.
Mega Fun and Fitness
- Location: 22475 Heslip Drive, Novi
- Contact: 248-344-9344
Find a gym, trampoline, obstacle courses, a foam pit, balance beams and more. Parent-tot classes and drop-in tumbling offered.
- Location: 703 Livernois St., Ferndale
- Contact: 248-955-3219
All-natural play and wellness center for families with small children. Weekly family support groups. Drop-in play and memberships available.
- Location: 45799 Grand River Ave., Novi
- Contact: 248-735-1050
Toddlers ages 3-plus can try the kiddie go-karts and a climbing wall. In the winter there’s a bounce house and mini bowling.
Peppa Pig World of Play
- Location: 4362 Baldwin Road, Auburn Hills
Peppa Pig World of Play is designed for preschoolers, this indoor play space invites fans to explore Peppa Pig’s Treehouse, George’s Fort and other attractions.
Play-Place Autism and Special Needs Center
- Location: 41105 Technology Park Drive, Sterling Heights
- Contact: 586-254-6533
This place for special needs kids of all ages, plus siblings, has swings, a playscape, bouncers, movies and more. Walk-in visits and memberships available.
Pump It Up
- Auburn Hills: 1720 Opdyke Court, 248-375-1100
- Shelby Township: 15117 Commercial Drive, 586-416-4386
- Taylor: 25710 Northline Road, 734-946-2017
- Westland: 34700 Warren Road, 734-338-9815
- Wixom: 28373 Beck Road, Unit H, 248-912-1090
Kids under 34 inches can try inflatables with parent. Pop-in times vary by location; check ahead for preschool-specific options.
- Location: 380 E. Second St., Rochester
- Contact: 248-650-7529
This indoor play center and café is fun for preschoolers, with a smaller play structure for ages 4 and under.
Roseville Eastpointe Recreation Authority
- Location: 18185 Sycamore St., Roseville
- Contact: 586-445-5480
Hosts a variety of preschool programs including “parent and tot playschool” for ages 18-36 months.
- Location: 141 N. Center St., Suite 201, Northville
- Contact: 248-938-4182
Kids ages 2-plus can get a jump on their STEM education with building blocks, color-coded toys and ore.
The Chelsea TreeHouse
- Location: 1101 S. Main St., Chelsea
- Contact: 734-475-1555
This indoor playground has an enclosed area for babies and toddlers. Full menu.
Tiny Town Play Lounge
- Location: 15444 Haggerty Road, Northville
- Contact: 734-667-4965
Crawlers to age 6 can play house, supermarket, vet and more.
This post is updated regularly