Ask families what they want most, and most of them would say, “More ways to spend time together as a family.” With busy schedules, different interests and myriad distractions available 24/7, it can be difficult for families to find ways to bond that are fun for all. One of the best ways to do that is to have a “third place” – a place where your family can spend time doing things you enjoy together, while also allowing for time for yourself. Franklin Athletic Club, with its huge array of programs for kids, families, and adults provides that place for families to get fit, have fun and relax! Still not convinced? Here, Lori Allmacher, Camp and Junior Programs director at Franklin Athletic Club, offers 10 reasons to invest in a fitness club membership for your families:
1. Explore an interest together. Franklin Athletic Club offers family activities, such as karate classes and basketball clinics, which let kids and parents sharpen their skills or discover a passion together.
2. Model a healthy lifestyle. Kids learn about healthy living by example. Demonstrating a commitment to fitness by regularly attending the gym shows your children you value exercise enough to make time for it.
3. Banish ‘Mean Mommy.’ Preschoolers and older kids can head off to a yoga class, Zumba, or tennis, among many other choices, while Mom and Dad head off to work out in the gym or take a relaxing dip in the pool. That hour focusing on your own health makes you a better, calmer parent once you reconnect with your children after their own activity.
4. Get your teens to open up. Getting teens to put down the phone and have a conversation can be like moving a mountain. But challenge them to some one-on-one basketball, walk on side-by-side treadmills or chill out at yoga and you might be surprised what they’ll share.
5. Make a night of it. Franklin Athletic Club is open until 10 p.m., and the café inside the facility offers an array of Middle Eastern salads and wraps. Instead of another family movie night, why not go for a light dinner and some exercise at Franklin Athletic Club?
6. Fend off childhood obesity. Kids need to move in order to keep their weight in a healthy range, and Franklin Athletic Club offers lots of ways to give your child a lifelong love of exercise by making it fun for them.
7. Connect as a couple. The club offers frequent “Kid’s Night Out” events where kids enjoy pizza, crafts and some physical activity, while parents pop out for a nice dinner uninterrupted by requests to cut up someone’s meat and reminders to children to chew with their mouths closed.
8. Snap back after baby. Children as young as 6 weeks old are welcome in the Franklin Athletic Club nursery, where trained professionals will watch your little one and change diapers for an hour or two while you work out and (bliss!) maybe even take an uninterrupted shower, steam, sauna or Jacuzzi. It’s one of the best things you can do for yourself mentally and physically during the transition of adding a new family member.
9. Take a dip. Franklin offers two beautiful pools, one indoor and one outdoor. You can enjoy the benefits of low-impact, invigorating water exercise, relax in the spa, or simply splash around with your little ones during open swim. The outdoor pool offers a separate pool with splashy fountains and a beach-level entry for the youngest swimmers, while the indoor pool has a wide step area for kids to play on.
10. Make new friends. It’s important for kids to meet people beyond their immediate neighborhoods and schools. It’s wonderful for kids to have friends they know outside of their typical roles – and sometimes those families can become lifelong friends.