In conjunction with upward of 40 school and community-based partners, the Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) will provide participating students and families its most significant summer school program ever with its Summer Learning Experiences 2021, set to get underway on July 12, 2021.
The District’s Summer Learning Experiences 2021 will feature academic enrichment daily at more than 40 air-conditioned DPSCD schools. Highlights of the academic enrichment include credit recovery for high school students as well as support services such as tutoring and after-school learning in disciplines such as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). In addition, DPSCD’s effective safety mitigation plan will provide for a safe in-person learning environment which opens the door for your child to again learn best with their peers in person.
Through school and community-based partnerships, the afternoons of the District’s Summer Learning Experiences 2021 will be fun! Students will participate in an array of activities, from sports, to camps, the arts and even the dinner table — reflective of DPSCD’s priority of a Whole Child Commitment to educating students.
A sampling of the Summer Learning Experiences 2021 school and community-based partner enrichment activities that will be available to students and families throughout metro Detroit include:
- Camp Dinner Table: Slated to be held for 50-100 students for five weeks, this online activity enables students to learn basic cooking and food presentation skills combined with safe kitchen etiquette. It will be held for five weeks at Mary McLeod-Bethune Elementary and Middle School.
- Teen Hype: This unique program brings a creative mix of arts, leadership, and social justice education to youth development work. Teen Hype is renowned for helping young people find their voice, plan for their future and learn to give back to the community. Teen Hype enrichment activities will be held at John R. King Academic and Performing Arts Academy and other DPSCD schools during Summer Learning Experiences.
- Girls Scouts and YMCA: Girls Scouts of Southeastern Michigan (GSSEM) will share messages of their mission to build girls of courage, confidence and character at a number of DPSCD schools including Detroit International Academy for Young Women (DIA), the only all-female public high school in the state of Michigan and noted for its programming that fosters careers in biomedical science and veterinary medicine. Meanwhile, the YMCA’s Girls on Sport Port will teach life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The YMCA will also provide Youth in Government sessions.
- Eastside Community Network (ECN): Its youth development programming ensures that participants are academically, physically, emotionally, and financially prepared for post-secondary school success.
- Urban Neighborhood Initiatives: Rooted in Southwest Detroit, UNI aims to make the community better for its residents by offering great opportunities to youth and their families.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan: With its “Whatever it Takes” mantra, Boys and Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan helps kids of all ages become their best selves.
- Going Pro Sports LLC: Focuses on athletic skill development and advocacy opportunities in sports.
DPSCD is excited to collaborate with its caring partners whose contributions will help make Summer Learning Experiences 2021 a success from July 12-August 5, 2021.
A reminder to the community that children 12 and older are now eligible to be vaccinated. DPSCD, in conjunction with the Detroit Health Department as well as several health care providers, has helped vaccinate more than 400 students and family members through its Teens for Vaccines initiative in May and June. With support from health care providers, DPSCD will continue offering school-based vaccination opportunities. Please visit detroitk12.org/covid19 for more information.
Are you ready to join DPSCD for Summer Learning Experiences 2021 starting July 12, 2021? Registration and other information can be found at detroitk12.org/schoolprograms or 1-833-466-3978, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Monday-Friday. #DPSCDSummerRise.
Hurry! Families are registering, and DPSCD is saving a seat for you. Jump into summer fun, enrichment, and learning today!
Learn more about Detroit Public Schools Community District at detroitk12.org.