Meet Alisha K. Byrd, a teacher at Stevenson Elementary in Southfield.
- Grades taught: K-3 (Resource Room)
- Years as a teacher: 14 years
- Favorite book as a child: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
- What her class is reading: Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
- Reading tip: “To find your child’s ‘just right’ reading level, use the five finger rule. Open a book to a random page and ask your child to read it aloud, if you have to assist them 1 time, the book is too easy. If have to assist them 2-3 times, the book is just right. And if need to assist them 4-5 times, the book is too hard.”
Learning how to read is an important part of making good health care choices. Kids who know how to read will use this skill for the rest of their lives. The educators in Teacher Spotlight help young readers now, so they can make choices to stay healthy in the future. For more information, visit uhccommunityplan.com.