There’s still plenty of summer left to enjoy, so don’t let these long summer days outlive your big list of family fun things to do. “Summer is so welcome for everyone when it finally arrives and there’s always so much potential for fun. But we understand that parents can sometimes run out of ideas. It’s a lot of pressure! That’s where your local Y can help out and keep the fun coming until school starts and beyond,” says Latitia McCree-Thomas, Senior Vice President of Communications and Marketing with YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit.
To help you maintain your “Most Fun Parent Ever” status with your kids, we’re sharing some summer family fun activities at YMCAs around metro Detroit. You’ll be amazed at all the cool things you and your kids can do in August at the Y.
If you don’t have a Y family membership yet, now is the time! To try out everything the Y has to offer, you can even get a free seven-day guest pass by taking the Y170 Challenge, a celebration of the Y’s 170 years in metro Detroit. The Y170 Challenge runs until September 2022, so there’s plenty of time to jump in and build some great healthy habits — for you and your kids.
Summer family fun at the Y
As a special celebration of the YMCA’s 170th birthday, in August, each of metro Detroit’s seven locations will offer a select list of summer family fun activities. Here’s a taste of what you and your family can enjoy — and check in with your local Y to find out more.
- Every Saturday in August, Downriver Family YMCA is hosting family Zumba with family-friendly routines, music and dance. Or, enjoy a teen-friendly family outdoor workout on Aug. 8. And don’t miss Downriver Family Y’s Family Pool Party on Aug 26.
- At Macomb Family YMCA, Family Movie Night is Aug. 19 from 6-8 p.m. Bring blankets and pillows for extra comfort. Downriver Family Y’s Family Movie Night is Aug. 12, also from 6-8 p.m. Spots fill up fast!
- Head to Birmingham Family YMCA on Aug. 14 for a Family Pool Party — be sure to register for this one!
- On Aug. 26, both pools will be open at Boll Family YMCA for a great big Family Fun Swim. Float to the music and enjoy rubber duck races, ring toss and kickboard paddle.
- And, get the whole family ready for back to school with a fun Back to School Bash, at Farmington Family YMCA on Aug. 21 and at Boll Family YMCA on Aug 26.
Mark your family fun calendar now for the Big Y Birthday Block Party on Sept. 10, 2022. You can celebrate the Y’s big birthday with fun community activities, crafts, games and all the best a birthday block party has to offer!
Get a YMCA family membership now!
Do something fun and different each day for the rest of the summer with a YMCA family membership. This is one gift you can give your family that will help each of you thrive, no matter the age, says McCree-Thomas.
“Sure, the Y is a great place to get exercise, and that’s wonderful for your health and wellbeing, but unlike other fitness centers, our Ys are staffed with caring people who want you to be successful, no matter what you try. This is a great message for your growing kids to learn — that there is a safe place in their community that is dedicated to helping them be the best they can be,” she says.
Y memberships include access to Virtual Y, so you can workout on demand to match your busy day. You can also try lap swim and the ever-popular family swim, plus save money on swim lessons, youth sports and day camp for your kids. “Members pay a reduced fee for any paid programs open to non-members,” McCree-Thomas explains.
Members also have access to free group classes and free water exercise classes — as many as you’d like each week. Make your own schedule! And, best of all, while you workout, your kids can stay safe, engaged and active with the Y’s free child care. What could be better than that?
At $86 per month, a YMCA family membership holds a lot of value for your family. “Once you dig in and learn about all the engaging programming available to you and your kids, you’ll wonder why you waited so long to become a member,” says McCree-Thomas.
YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit works hard to be a trusted community organization that remains affordable for all who want to join. If your children qualify for free or reduced meals at school, your family can qualify for membership at your YMCA for $39 per month.