It’s love at first bite with these decadent devil’s food drops. As if their chocolatey essence wasn’t enough, they’re stuffed with maraschino cherries and drizzled with white chocolate. Trust us: No one will have these at the cookie exchange!
Looking for other holiday cookie recipes? Check out our Season’s Eatings cookie roundup.
- Swap out maraschino cherries for candied cherries. Or, try the natural variety of maraschino cherries if you want to avoid artificial coloring.
- Let little hands help roll the dough around the cherries while you watch The Polar Express.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Jar of maraschino or candied cherries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. shortening or butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, combine cocoa, flour, salt, soda and powder. Set aside.
- In large bowl, blend sugar and butter. Add vanilla and egg. Mix to combine. Add dry ingredients while mixing on low and blend just until combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Drain cherries.
- Measure out 2-inch size balls of dough. Flatten dough ball, put cherry in middle, then wrap dough around cherry, so the cherry is completely covered with chocolate dough. Repeat until all dough is gone.
- Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until slightly set. Cool.
- Melt white chocolate chips with butter or shortening in microwave. Heat at medium power in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Use a fork or spoon to drizzle white chocolate onto cookies. Allow time to set before packaging.